Nubie Seeking Guidance

Hello all. We are considering our first cruise this summer. We are a family of four...two daughters 16 & 18. We are looking to cruise somewhere in the Caribbean. My parents are avid cruisers that have cruised all around the world. Former NCL purists they now think that NCL has lost some of their shine. They have recommended RCCL to us. They have not sailed RCCL but are leaving next month for the Caribbean themselves. It looks like RCCL and CCL are the two major players in the caribbean this summer. Can someone give me some idea of what I can expect from the extra $$$ to sail RCCL in lieu of CCL?

Also I would like some idea of how crowded it to be on the ship. Last spring we made the mistake of going to Disney during spring break...we spent the entire week in lines. I cant take that again, I'd rather stay home than spend a lot of money to stand in line for a week.

Another question, some of the cruises we are considering sail from Port Canaveral. Whats the best way to get there(were coming from Maryland)? Fly to Orlando and what? Is there a shuttle from the air port?

Any help wold be appreciated! Also please feel free to point me to any required reading on the subjects.

When my children were younger, I only cruised on Carnival because the price was better than Royal and I didn't think it would have made a difference. Well, my last two cruises were on Royal and I now think that it does make a difference. Carnival is not a bad cruise line but if you don't like crowds, definitely go on Royal. They do a much better job with crowd control in the buffet and getting on and off the ship. We usually get to the port the day before the cruise so that we are ready for vacation the next day. Sometimes the hotels have shuttle service, but if they don't just take a cab. Most people don't like the transfers that the cruiseline provides. You can take a cab for the same amount of money and it will be much more relaxing. Good luck and happy sailing.

Hello all. We are considering our first cruise this summer. We are a family of four...two daughters 16 & 18. We are looking to cruise somewhere in the Caribbean. My parents are avid cruisers that have cruised all around the world. Former NCL purists they now think that NCL has lost some of their shine. They have recommended RCCL to us. They have not sailed RCCL but are leaving next month for the Caribbean themselves. It looks like RCCL and CCL are the two major players in the caribbean this summer. Can someone give me some idea of what I can expect from the extra $$$ to sail RCCL in lieu of CCL?

Also I would like some idea of how crowded it to be on the ship. Last spring we made the mistake of going to Disney during spring break...we spent the entire week in lines. I cant take that again, I'd rather stay home than spend a lot of money to stand in line for a week.

Another question, some of the cruises we are considering sail from Port Canaveral. Whats the best way to get there(were coming from Maryland)? Fly to Orlando and what? Is there a shuttle from the air port?

Any help wold be appreciated! Also please feel free to point me to any required reading on the subjects.

I cannot answer a lot of your questions, but I'll hit the ones I can!

Lines are small to non-existent, which makes me soooo happy. There is a ton to do onboard, and rarely do you have to wait to do it. Rock climbing walls, flow rider, mini-golf, ice skating, etc. And this is just on the ship! So, even though summer is a busy time, you will not encounter anything even close to the Disney lines.

If you check out the East Coast departures board, there is a whole section for Florida and it has a TON of info on how to get there, shuttles, where to stay, etc.

It's been so long since I cruised Carnival (1995), that I wouldn't have a clue as to comparing the two any more. But, I do know that I adore the cruises I've done on RCI. Plenty of stuff to do, and plenty of places to not do a thing. The choice is yours!

Hope this helped. I know you will get much better answers, but maybe this will get the ball rolling! :D

I would recommend the Freedom Eastern or Western route (that’s a whole other debate/decision). The Freedom class ships have something for everyone and plenty of room so you never feel “crowded”. We (family of 4) did the Liberty last June and had a great time.

I’ve never sailed CCL, but research has led me to RCCL every time. From what I can see, their ship size to passenger ratio has their ships tighter on space = crowded. Amenities on RCCL are much more appealing (Promenade, Ice Rinks, Rock Wall, H2O Zone, Cantilevered Whirl Pools, etc…) and draw us back each time.

In the end, its all about personal preference. Do your homework and read up on both boards.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

I thought of another question. My parents talked up the food quite a bit....lobster night and prime rib night...bla, bla, bla. Are those real offerings in the MDR? Or is the food more like the standard buffet fare...carving stations and the like? Is ther a place where I can see the menu offerings on a particular cruise or cruise line?

Thanks for the feedback so far...sounds like RCCL is the place for me.

Don't expect that RCI will necessarily be higher cost than Carnival. The two are usually pretty comparable in price, though Royal might average slightly more. The price for both is, of course, driven by supply and demand. With demand being high for the newest ships, Oasis and Allure, you will find that they tend to be pricier. But when you compare ships of similar age and size, with similar itineraries, the priced difference between Carnival and Royal Caribbean is usually small.

As for differences, there are definite differences in the appearance and layout of ships between the two lines. I, personally, find RCI ships to be a little more "classy" than Carnival. But in truth, there are probably more similarities than differences between the two in overall experience.

That's my opinion. :cool:

I thought of another question. My parents talked up the food quite a bit....lobster night and prime rib night...bla, bla, bla. Are those real offerings in the MDR? Or is the food more like the standard buffet fare...carving stations and the like? Is ther a place where I can see the menu offerings on a particular cruise or cruise line?

Thanks for the feedback so far...sounds like RCCL is the place for me.

No, those are for real. The main dining room (MDR) is serving 1000+ people at a time, so it is somewhat banquet-like, but not buffet (unless you choose to dine in the separate buffet restaurant). Many people feel like the food in the MDR is poor, but I find it to usually be quite good, with the understanding that it does have to be somewhat mass-produced. On a week-long cruise, there are usually 2 "formal nights", and those tend to include some of the fancier entrees, like lobster and prime rib. Again, you'll find varying opinions on the quality of those offerings, but I think they're usually quite good. Not best I've ever had by any means, but good to very good.

Hi,

We usually go out of Port Canaveral. We fly in the day before, rent a car at Orlando Airport on Saturday, drive down & stay in a hotel. Sunday I drop family off at pier, return car & catch shuttle back. Certainly cheaper than getting a shuttle, & all major rental car companies do this. Depending on flight back I rent again and return it at the airport. When we drove from Northern Virginia, we parked at the pier, but many hotels offer the parking option.

We switched from Disney to Royal when our daughter was 14 & never looked back.

Kevin

Don't expect that RCI will necessarily be higher cost than Carnival. The two are usually pretty comparable in price, though Royal might average slightly more. The price for both is, of course, driven by supply and demand. With demand being high for the newest ships, Oasis and Allure, you will find that they tend to be pricier. But when you compare ships of similar age and size, with similar itineraries, the priced difference between Carnival and Royal Caribbean is usually small.

As for differences, there are definite differences in the appearance and layout of ships between the two lines. I, personally, find RCI ships to be a little more "classy" than Carnival. But in truth, there are probably more similarities than differences between the two in overall experience.

That's my opinion. :cool:

Speaking of supply and demand, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will probably have a hard time finding availability for this summer. Then again, Oasis and Allure are HUGE ships and might have some quads available. Suggest the OP start looking.

Speaking of supply and demand, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will probably have a hard time finding availability for this summer. Then again, Oasis and Allure are HUGE ships and might have some quads available. Suggest the OP start looking.

OK...so as I scurry to find two rooms what should I look for? Location - I assume higher up is better? Do I need to be concerned with my rooms proximity to night clubs or entertainment venues that may keep me up at night? Again, any help is appreciated!!!

Mid ship with rooms above and below you would be a good place to start for a first cruise. The lower the better for not feeling any ship movement if anyone is prone to motion sickness (although on these large ships you rarely get enough movement to cause any issues)

I have sailed both lines with a little one and teens. RCI has much more for teens to do. RCI is more classy. I found CCL to be a good value for the price though. I thought the food was pretty similar. I personally look at the itinerary. I like to visit more ports than stay on the ship. I have left from Port Canaveral. There are plenty of hotel package deals that include transportation from the airport and from the hotel to and from the cruise ship for around $120 a night. You can start boarding the ship around noon the day of departure. We usually get the cheapest cabin, and inside lower one. Have never had any problems. We are never there except to get ready and sleep! We spend our money on other things! They have cabins that sleep 4. If you get 2 rooms it is much more expensive. Hopefully one day we will be able to afford a balcony but right now going cheap allows us to vacation at least 2-3 times a year and I'd rather do that! Good luck!

OK...so as I scurry to find two rooms what should I look for? Location - I assume higher up is better? Do I need to be concerned with my rooms proximity to night clubs or entertainment venues that may keep me up at night? Again, any help is appreciated!!!

Try to get 2 cabins because with all 4 of you in the same cabin it will be crowded. You will need 2 cabins right next to each other, or get a balcony for you and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. I like to have a cabin with other cabins above me....don't want to be right below the disco!

You can fly into Orlando and rent a car to get to Port Canaveral or use a shuttle. The drive is about 45-60 minutes....too far to take a cab. I recommend Freedom of the Seas. I think Royal Caribbean does a much better job of moving people around with little wait in lines. Good luck!

Since you are coming from Maryland, have you looked into any of the cruises out of Baltimore or New Jersey? Those would definitely be within driving distance for you, taking flying to the port of the equation.

Additionally, the ships that go out of Baltimore and NJ would be a little bit on the cheaper side since they aren't the huge ships like Oasis and Allure.

However, I would book ASAP. I've had my May cruise booked since September and it is pretty close to filling up (and prices have only been going up and up!).

During the summer months, I think you will find that Explorer out of Bayonne is going to be selling at a premium. What local family doesn't want to go out of their own back yard with no airfare?

We have sailed Liberty of the Seas twice with our kids (who are younger than yours). We love it. Freedom is the same.

Look for a balcony for you, inside for the kids, or go with connecting Promenade cabins. You will definitely want 2 bathrooms with teenaged girls.

Dinner in the MDR is, as a PP said, more banquet style. It is NOT a buffet. You are handed a menu and you make your selections and all is brought to your table by your wonderful waitstaff. You can also dine at the buffet, the specialty restaurants or go to the Promenade and have pizza or sandwiches at Sorrento's or the Promenade Cafe. Or order room service. Food is good to very good in the MDR, very good in the specialty restaurants.

Activities on Royal are great. My older son loves the Flowrider and is a junkie for it. My younger son loves the rock climbing wall. All love the promenade for people watching and snacks.

Carnival and Royal are more alike than different. Looks are different (Royal is more subdued, Carnival more glitzy), I have enjoyed the food on Carnival very much (that chocolate melting cake...:D), each has its benefits.

If you choose Freedom, you would fly into Orlando and either rent a car and drive to the port, or you can arrange with a private car service to transport you. Some do shuttles as well. You can also opt to stay overnight in one of the many hotels in Cocoa Beach and either call a cab or take the hotel shuttle the next morning to the port.

If you do check out Explorer, remember that it is a bit smaller than Freedom class, does not have the flowrider, has ice skating and rock wall (like Freedom). The make up of the guests will be primarily local (NY/NJ/CT area) if that makes any difference. Consider the price of the cabins and then check out prices out of FL including airfare. The prices might actually be about the same so it comes down to convenience at that point.

If you have questions about specific cabins or categories, just ask.

I have sailed on Carnival, Royal, Princess, Hal, NCL, and on and on but the point is I think to me they are all more similar than not. I prefer Royal but I am a huge fan of the NCL Epic. Either line will produce the results you want so I suggest you base it on itinerary, ship amenities and price. You most likely would want 2 cabins as 1 bathroom just doesn't cut it. You can do a balcony and kids across the hall or connecting cabins. Either way, it is prime season so book soon to even get the cabins that you will need. I'm sure you'll have a million ?'s so come back and ask. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the wonderful advise and guidance. I appreciate all the help!!

We have narrowed our search to the Serenade sailing from San Juan on the 7th or 14th of August. My only concern is with the girls(16 & 18yo) that the Serenade will be a good fit for them. It sounds like the other RCI ships have more for the teenagers than the Serenade does. Will they find many kids their age on this ship? I really want this to be good for them too. The 7th itinerary has two days at sea so I want to be sure there is enough to keep them happy(I know I am in the final years for my kids still wanting to vacation with us).

Also are is there anything I should consider when sailing from San Juan? Will most of the passengers be from the US? Or will this be a more diverse group?

Thanks for any additional help you can give!

Archived