Questions on Las Caletas

cat4151

We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks and trying to decide what to do in the ports. For Cabo we're planning on whale watching and PV considering Las Caletas.

1. Is Las Caletas a good experience/ Is it worth the time and money?

2. Do you see enough whales on the way over to Las Caletas that you wouldn't really need a seperate excersion in Cabo for whale watching?

3. Are you supposed to tip? and if so who? with each drink? or everyone?

Thanks for any input:)

We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks and trying to decide what to do in the ports. For Cabo we're planning on whale watching and PV considering Las Caletas.

2. Do you see enough whales on the way over to Las Caletas that you wouldn't really need a seperate excersion in Cabo for whale watching?

Think of Las Caletas as an all-inclusive resort without the resort (and NO beach vendors). We've been there nine times so it's fair to say that we think it is a good experience and worth the money.

We're in Vallarta during November, just before whale season, so I can't answer that one.

The Las Caletas site staff will have a couple people near the dock with bowls for tips as you leave. Some people tip, some don't. You don't tip staff during your stay at the excursion site (i.e. per drink or meal service). The Las Caletas boat staff will bust their butts to entertain you both going to the excursion site and on the return to Vallarta. They will also have some sort of container, as you leave the boat at the port, for tips. Again, some people tip & some don't.

You'll find some pictures here - http://travel.webshots.com/album/570764732lapMBp

Enjoy!

We love Las Caletas and I agree with MSN.

Here is the one thing I would think about- MSN was there in November, and I've been there in October. The water is still very warm then. When we went on our M/R cruise the last time in March, the water was not warm, and we cancelled our excursion to Las Caletas when we got back from our first stop (Cabo).

Right now the water temps are about 73-75 f. If you like to do a lot of water activities, the water being this temp may be a factor to consider.

At Las Caletas they have numerous water activities.

We love water activites, and hope it warms up a little before we get there in mid-April.

I grew up in the beach cities here in California, and 73-75 is a little lower than what the water warms up to in the summer.

Las Caletas is a fun excursion from start to finish. If the water warms up we are planning to spend the day there:).

Thank you for all your information. The pictures were great. I think we will book this. Not really worried about temperatures, live in Seattle, it's been snowing outside the last few days, last night it was 17 degrees, and even in the summer the water isn't very warm. But I can see how if you are used to warmer water that might not be very enjoyable:rolleyes:

We really enjoyed it. The boat ride over is lots of fun and there is some beautiful scenery. All the drinks you want. The lunch was very good as well. When we went in Sept it was really hot. What I like is no vendors and you can whatever you want - or just do nothing at all and enjoy the beauty. Have fun.

We took this excursion on February 15th off of Sapphire Princess. We’ve taken this cruise several times at this time of year mostly for the sea life. We weren’t disappointed. Once docked in PV, we spotted a ray off the aft of the ship.

We met for the excursion on the dock and took a 5-10 minute walk around the port area to where the catamaran that would take us to Las Caletas would dock. (Here is a picture of the catamaran getting ready to leave Las Caletas to go back to PV).

[There was seating on top, inside and in the front of the ship. We sat in the first row in the front of the ship and were glad we did. It was a little cool at first but the day warmed up quickly. On the way over to Las Caletas, we spotted whales and boy did they put on a show. Several groups of mothers and their babies entertained us. The catamaran slowed and turned so that all could get good views and pictures.

As we approached Las Caletas we could see a big fog bank off starboard up the coast. As we docked it rolled through Las Caletas but was gone by the time we finished lunch and the sun was out again. Lunch was buffet style and very good with a number of options. After lunch you were able to wander the area with lots of things to do. There was a parrot/monkey/snake encounter, children’s zip line, nature walk, kayaking, snorkeling, or just being lazy on the beach. The beach had low sling back chairs that were comfortable.

At the end of the day we boarded the catamaran for the trip back and while no whales, the crew put on a funny show that had us laughing all the way back to the port area.

We were one of the last excursions back so it was straight to the ship as we departed PV shortly thereafter. Liquor/beer flowed freely from the time we boarded the catamaran in the morning until we disembarked. There was a crew member holding a tip jar as we disembarked. This was one of the best beach excursions we’ve ever taken and would do it again in a heartbeat, understanding that both weather and sea life can be unpredictable.

Regarding whale watching in Cabo, we’ve done the zodiacs in the past and this trip did the larger boat excursion. The zodiacs can get you very close but much harder to take pictures because of the motion in the water. Also, they go fast and can sometimes be bumpy. On the larger boat, we got pretty close to some this trip and was easier to take pictures as boat was steadier. Also had open bar on this excursion (also booked through Princess).

Ray.jpg.2169a4f9688a3321aac80af0e383c3b7.jpg

Cat.jpg.3e3d9a42245ac4b1fa8b1d7dc28d63c2.jpg

Whale1.jpg.5fc26663a0ecee66b4071dcf5fd60122.jpg

Whale2.jpg.8132a81c1e68d5ab4322b9078e0774f9.jpg

Kayak.jpg.468bc478c34725e609079983ffa4d2b5.jpg

Snorkle.jpg.572eebb4f107dc242a17c13b39c9e5c8.jpg

whale4.jpg.8d783de7ae96e5f7560030e7cf03c512.jpg

Whale3.jpg.44769d3d06877d5d19afc5087563c0b2.jpg

Las Caletas is one of my favorite tours in the area besides the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. Las Caletas is a very cool place, they have a new zip line area there just for kids and a hiking trail. They also have massages there- very reasonable! So if you want a massage, book it on the boat on the way over. They only accept cash- no credit cards- I think an hour massage is about $50 or so US.

Tip at the end of the tour. They will have a tip jar they pass around.

They also, unlike most boat tours have better alcohol and food. The grilled steak arrachera and ribs are GREAT! They have Smirnoff vodka and not the Oso Negro swill the others serve :) Enjoy! I love it there!

Love the video!

We took this excursion on February 15th off of Sapphire Princess. We’ve taken this cruise several times at this time of year mostly for the sea life. We weren’t disappointed. Once docked in PV, we spotted a ray off the aft of the ship.

We met for the excursion on the dock and took a 5-10 minute walk around the port area to where the catamaran that would take us to Las Caletas would dock. (Here is a picture of the catamaran getting ready to leave Las Caletas to go back to PV).

[There was seating on top, inside and in the front of the ship. We sat in the first row in the front of the ship and were glad we did. It was a little cool at first but the day warmed up quickly. On the way over to Las Caletas, we spotted whales and boy did they put on a show. Several groups of mothers and their babies entertained us. The catamaran slowed and turned so that all could get good views and pictures.

As we approached Las Caletas we could see a big fog bank off starboard up the coast. As we docked it rolled through Las Caletas but was gone by the time we finished lunch and the sun was out again. Lunch was buffet style and very good with a number of options. After lunch you were able to wander the area with lots of things to do. There was a parrot/monkey/snake encounter, children’s zip line, nature walk, kayaking, snorkeling, or just being lazy on the beach. The beach had low sling back chairs that were comfortable.

At the end of the day we boarded the catamaran for the trip back and while no whales, the crew put on a funny show that had us laughing all the way back to the port area.

We were one of the last excursions back so it was straight to the ship as we departed PV shortly thereafter. Liquor/beer flowed freely from the time we boarded the catamaran in the morning until we disembarked. There was a crew member holding a tip jar as we disembarked. This was one of the best beach excursions we’ve ever taken and would do it again in a heartbeat, understanding that both weather and sea life can be unpredictable.

Regarding whale watching in Cabo, we’ve done the zodiacs in the past and this trip did the larger boat excursion. The zodiacs can get you very close but much harder to take pictures because of the motion in the water. Also, they go fast and can sometimes be bumpy. On the larger boat, we got pretty close to some this trip and was easier to take pictures as boat was steadier. Also had open bar on this excursion (also booked through Princess).

Thank you for such a detailed account and the pics are great.

Las Caletas is one of my favorite tours in the area besides the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. Las Caletas is a very cool place, they have a new zip line area there just for kids and a hiking trail. They also have massages there- very reasonable! So if you want a massage, book it on the boat on the way over. They only accept cash- no credit cards- I think an hour massage is about $50 or so US.

Tip at the end of the tour. They will have a tip jar they pass around.

They also, unlike most boat tours have better alcohol and food. The grilled steak arrachera and ribs are GREAT! They have Smirnoff vodka and not the Oso Negro swill the others serve :) Enjoy! I love it there!

Do you think the massages are as good of a quality as you get at Krystal? We're in port from 8am till 9pm and Las Caletas starts at 9am so if Krystal is better we should have time to do both, but if Las Caletas is just as good or better then we could just have them there?

• 1 month later...

Good info here, thanks to those of you that posted.

We want to do this tour when we arrive in PV in 2 weeks on the Splendor. I have a couple questions for those of you that have been here:

1) We would like to kayak. Is there an additional charge for that? How is the availability of kayaks?

2) We are bringing our own mask and snorkel. Can we just snorkel in the swim area, or is there a charge for this? This will be our first time to snorkel and we don't really want to swim with the sea lions.

3) If we wait to book a couple days before, does this sell out?

4) Is it crowded/will we be fighting for a beach chair?

5) We wanted to get a couples massage. Do they have this? Is it on the beach?

Thanks for your help!

We want to do this tour when we arrive in PV in 2 weeks on the Splendor. I have a couple questions for those of you that have been here:

1) We would like to kayak. Is there an additional charge for that? How is the availability of kayaks? NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE

2) We are bringing our own mask and snorkel. Can we just snorkel in the swim area, or is there a charge for this? This will be our first time to snorkel and we don't really want to swim with the sea lions. NO CHARGE

3) If we wait to book a couple days before, does this sell out? DONT THINK SO BUT IF YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT, BOOK IT! :)

4) Is it crowded/will we be fighting for a beach chair? IT IS CROWDED BUT WE HAD NO PROBLEM FINDING A CHAIR

5) We wanted to get a couples massage. Do they have this? Is it on the beach? DONT KNOW BOUT THAT ONE :)

Thanks for your help!

Las Caletas was my very favorite excursion on our 9 day Spirit cruise last month. AMAZING! The crew does a great job entertaining on the way there and on the way back and the island is just beautiful. If you have kids, do the zip line adventure...doesn't cost extra and the girls who run it are so great with kids :) Also, they serve a full buffet that is really delicious...it's not just sandwiches or chips and salsa...it's a full meal. And the drinks are all free and unlimited. Totally worth it!

Oh, by the way...we had a pod of whales right by our boat on the way back to the pier and the crew stopped the boat for about 15 minutes so we could watch them. There was a mom and baby right next to us...so amazing. I'm sure that could be a fluke though.

1) We would like to kayak. Is there an additional charge for that? How is the availability of kayaks? I have rarely seen all the kayaks in use. They are available for independent use and there is a scheduled group outing too.

2) We are bringing our own mask and snorkel. Can we just snorkel in the swim area, or is there a charge for this? This will be our first time to snorkel and we don't really want to swim with the sea lions. They have an activity hut where you can sign out snorkel gear and/or fins. Generally have you give them a cruise card or drivers license as a security deposit. You snorkel all you want. They also have a scheduled group snorkel too. The better area to see stuff is where the shuttle boat docks. Fins advised as it is about a hundred yards from the activity beach. We don't think the "swim with sea lions is a good value for the money charged.

3) If we wait to book a couple days before, does this sell out? Splendor is the only full size cruise ship that will be in port that day. A small Mexican liner arrives around noon so you won't have to compete for space at Las Caletas.

4) Is it crowded/will we be fighting for a beach chair? Plenty of beach chairs available.

5) We wanted to get a couples massage. Do they have this? Is it on the beach? The massage facility is not on the beach. Spa offerings can be found at the link below..

Thanks for your help!

The only additional charges you might have while at Las Caletas - Massages (independent operation) and any souvenirs that you might buy in the shops.

The excursion operator for the Las Caletas site is Vallarta Adventures. Here is their web site - http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip Here is the page that talks about the Las Caletas Spa - http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip/spa

Enjoy!

Oh, by the way...we had a pod of whales right by our boat on the way back to the pier and the crew stopped the boat for about 15 minutes so we could watch them. There was a mom and baby right next to us...so amazing. I'm sure that could be a fluke though.

Thank you very much for the info!

The only additional charges you might have while at Las Caletas - Massages (independent operation) and any souvenirs that you might buy in the shops.

The excursion operator for the Las Caletas site is Vallarta Adventures. Here is their web site - http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip Here is the page that talks about the Las Caletas Spa - http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip/spa

Enjoy!

Thanks for the great info. The links were very informative!

We were just at Las Caletas last week, and I wanted to let others know that the children's zipline is just for smaller kids. Our average sized 11 year old (4' 9" and 85lbs) was too big. She was quite disappointed, since she was really looking forward to it. Most of the kids 10 and over were told that they could not do the kids activities. We are not sure if it really was a size thing, or if there was just so many kids that day (during spring break) that they needed to limit the kids.

Could anyone comment on the exact details of the buffet at Las Caletas which is served? I am bringing a picky 8yo there this fall.

Thanks!

We went on the daytime excursion to Las Caletas last week. The buffet consisted of grilled chicken, tossed salad, roasted whole baby potatoes, ziti, some type of seafood rice dish, rolls, cookies, desert type breads, salsa, chips tortillas that are served warm and brought to your table. My husband is a picky eater and he had no problem finding something to eat.

When we were waiting to board the boat for the ride over to Las Caletas they asked how many we had in our group so they could have the tables set up and ready for everyone. They have several areas with multiple buffets set up and they will assign you to one of those areas. The food was waiting for us when we arrived. You have approx 45 mins to eat then you have to head to the activity briefing area (or as many people did find a spot to hang out for the day).

We loved this excursion but if you think your child may be hungry as the day goes on I'd bring a sealed snack from the ship. Chips or crackers in their original packaging would be allowed but no fruit or anything prepared on the ship. This would be the perfect excursion if they had offered the salsa and chips a little later in the day. Once you are done eating lunch you are done for the day.

Thank you for all the information!!! We're not going on the Splendor until next April but this will definitely be what we do in PV!!!

You'll love it~! Make sure you stop to see the monkeys and birds on the way in as you will not get to see them on your way back out :) I was bummed I didn't stop to see them :(

Archived