speech translation apps on your mobile phone?

wrxrob

I was curious if anyone here used any speech translation apps on their iPhone or Android phone. I thought they might come in handy when trying to hail a cab in the Grand Cayman, or wherever else speaks spanish (Cozumel?, Roatan?)

I was curious if anyone here used any speech translation apps on their iPhone or Android phone. I thought they might come in handy when trying to hail a cab in the Grand Cayman, or wherever else speaks spanish (Cozumel?, Roatan?)

English is widely spoken in Grand Cayman, Roatan and Cozumel as well as other places cruise ships go in the Caribbean. No need to learn another language unless you just want to. Believe me, all the cab drivers speak English.

The app will work fine but just be cautious of the roaming charges for internet if you are in another country. The fees can add up quick if you are not on a plan that covers the area you are in. As the other posters have said, most of the time you can get by with English.

I've played with a few Android apps, such as Talk to Me Cloud and Talk to Me Classic, with mixed results. But you really have nothing to worry about. First of all, Grand Cayman is a British territory, so English is the official language. As for Cozumel, English is widely spoken there. You'll have no problems at all.

Archived