Beach advice-Accra-folkstone-Crane

CruiseLunatic

First trip to Barbados.

We would like to hit the beach a while have a couple of cold ones and snorkel just a bit. Which beach would best fit our needs?

Also, where do you get the bus after leaving the ship, and do you have bus numbers, etc

Thanks for your help.

What you are looking for, in some respects doesn't exsist.. sort of..

Folkstone would probably have the best snorkeling, but haven't been in there in a while, but not sure that the beach is anything to write home about and not sure if you can get " a couple of cold ones" there. At a shop on the way there, but not sure there.

Crane is not for snorkeling, but for body surfing and enjoying the east coast surf. You can get some cold ones there, but again, haven't been in years..

Accra is one of my favorites.. but the snorkeling is not fabulous. There is a reef just off shore you can swim to and snorkle,, but home that the sea is sort of calm or you will not be able to see anything. However.. you for sure get several cold ones, from several different spots.. my favorite beach bar it "De Rock".. a Friend of mine, Pat, owns the place..

good luck and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

I was in Barbados last week and we went to Folkstone. Others from our table who had been to Barbados before recommended it as a good beach for snorkeling. The coral was pretty beat up close to shore, but there was a lot of coral and you could go out pretty far. There were plenty of interesting fish. (okay - I'm a novice snorkeler, but I had a good time.)

I haven't been to the other beaches, so I can't compare, but we had a great time at Folkstone. Smaller beach, low-key, not a big crowd or lots of hype (or vendors selling stuff). We got beach chairs for $5, plus they rent snorkel equipment if you need it ($10/set).

They have a bar there - my husband got himself a Banks Beer from Barbados at the bar for $2.

The people we were with thought it would be simplest to take a taxi to the beach. They charged us $5/pp - it was about a 20 minute ride. On the way there, I kept seeing the city buses and wished we had done that instead. At the beach, we asked about the bus and they said it's $1 USD, $1.50 Barbadan. We decided to take the city bus back - what a cultural experience! Mostly local folks on the bus, just a handful of tourists. We paid $3 for 3 of us, then they gave us $1.50 Barbadan in change. Hmmm??? We asked the bus attendant (guy who took our money) to let us know when to get off for the cruise ship pier. They let you off at a place where you can take a little shuttle bus back to the pier, or just walk. It's a few blocks away, maybe half a mile or so.

Hope that helps! Have fun on your trip.

Debbi

Archived