Cruise 25.02 - NOT HAPPY

Carlykins

Sorry to say that we were extremely disappointed and unhappy on this cruise. Haven't been on IE before so don't know what it was like before going into dry-dock ... BUT as far as we can tell there is certainly no evidence of any recent refurb.

Paid for 'deluxe' cabin on level 9. It was incredibly tired, shabby and generally uncomfortable. Air con not working at all, shower only a trickle of mainly cold water. What we found really hard to cope with though was the motion of the ship, listing from side to side, noisy and juddering. I have barely slept in 3 nights. Am used to cruising (including Atlantic) but have never experienced anything like this. Was later told that motion is more pronounced the higher up the ship your cabin is ... BUT paid a premium for this cabin!!

Food was ok, general staff helpful and friendly. Ports of call good. In trying to be balanced, I must acknowledge that plenty of people seemed to be enjoying themselves. However also spoke to lots of very disillusioned people too .... I guess it's a case of each to their own.

If this had been my first expereince of cruising I would have been put off for life. Fortunately my other cruises have all been brilliant. Admittedly this cruise is less expensive than than others I've been on but £1800 for family of 3 for a week can't be classed as cheap and I'm devastated to have wasted this money and a precious week off work for this trip.

So unhappy were we that we actually disembarked at Maderia (3 days into cruise) and got flight home!!

NEVER AGAIN ON I.E. FOR US! :(

are you putting in a complant i rang them up thompsons yesterday to go ahead with my complant and the bloke said he hadnt recieved any other complaints and as far as he knew i was the first and only complaint. im like you ive been on loads of cruises and this has been the worst by far never felt a ship move as much apart from the ferry over to amsterdam my main complaint was the engine noise we were in cabin 5577 it was like sleeping next to a washing machine and the black soot from the aircon which covered the beds and anything in the cabin.

Will definitely be complaining - and find it really hard to believe that Thomsons have not received any others. I think that's something travel companies say to make you think you're being unreasonable. It seems from looking at other messages lots of people were bothered by the movement and noise - so I'm a bit more reassured that it wasn't just me! It sounds like the rocking was as bad on Deck 5 as it was on Deck 9!

I've never had to complain about a holiday/cruise before but really feel i have no choice and will be writing formally today to Thomsons. Good luck if you proceed with a complaint too - I think travel companies rely quite heavily on people not doing so once they're home. I'd be interested to know how you get on

How strange, we were on the same cruise and had a fantastic time. Have done cruises before and really enjoyed this one as much as RCI.

You should have stayed on instead of cutting your nose off. We too were on deck 9 and no worse than any other deck. I'll quite happily be on thomsons side on this one.

I was on the Canary cruise two years ago and also the Western Med cruise, and I can tell you that the journey from Toulon to Barcelona was just as bad as the journey from Madeira to Agadir. It is not a storm just an Atlantic swell though it feels like one. I didn't video the Med which was worse than the Atlantic, but here is my little video of going from Madiera to Agadir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k17C6CwDv00

Archived