Help Me Pick a Cruise!!

kandjrolls2

We are looking to take a cruise in late November/early December. We will bringing our daughter who will be 17 mos old. We are debating between an Eastern Caribbean that leaves out of Miami on Carnival Liberty stopping at:

Half Moon Cay

Sea Day

St. Thomas

San Juan

Grand Turk

Sea Day

return to Miami

or a Southern Caribbean that departs San Juan on Carnival Victory stopping at:

St Thomas

At Sea

Barbados

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

St. Maarten

return to San Juan.

I am more intersted toward the Southern Caribbean ports but I am afraid such a port intensive cruise may be too much for DD. I am looking for beautiful beaches, great shopping and good local food. We really don't want to do strenous activities. Just relax and walk around and eat. So, which cruise would you recommend for our first family vaca?

Thanks .

Oh, I should add that this would be our third cruise all on Carnival. Prices are similiar for a balcony cabin. Airfare really isn't a huge concern as they are similiar from our city.

Saturday, Nov 26 Miami, FL 4:00pm Sunday, Nov 27 Half Moon Cay, the Bahamas 9:00am 5:00pm Monday, Nov 28 Fun Day at Sea Tuesday, Nov 29 St. Thomas, USVI 9:00am 6:00pm Wednesday, Nov 30 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am 3:30pm Thursday, Dec 01 Grand Turk 11:00am 5:30pm Friday, Dec 02 Fun Day at Sea Saturday, Dec 03 Miami, FL 8:00am

Port intensive honestly might be better at that age, since DD won't be able to do the kids club/pool stuff on sea days. I'd pick the Southern itinerary for that reason, and also because you'd be more out of the way of the tail end of hurricane season. Also, I've always wanted to do a Southern. My husband and I have done San Juan and St. Maarten without excursions and San Juan was really neat to walk around/shop in (love the old city wall) and we enjoyed the eat access to the beach and the water taxi (which your daughter may enjoy, as well).

If you do pick the Eastern, however, Half Moon Cay is supposed to be lovely.

Port intensive honestly might be better at that age, since DD won't be able to do the kids club/pool stuff on sea days.

I was actually going to suggest the opposite:) Can you refresh my memory on Camp Carnival sea day vs. port day schedule/activities? Thanks

I would recommend the 7 day. I just returned from a similar itinerary with my two children. The ports are ideal for young kids - Half Moon Cay is the most beautiful, calm, clear beach with the most unbelievable sand I have ever seen. The large tenders are easily done with wee ones and the beach is right there. We have been there a handful of times on HAL, but missed it on our Carnival Liberty cruise last winter because of wind. Grand Turk is perfect because everything is right there at the pier - great swimmings, nice pool, lots of shade trees, lounges etc. Magan's Bay in St. Thomas is also lovely and calm, but you could also just poke around with the stroller, lots to see and do. I can't recommend much in San Juan, last few times we stayed on the ship and almost had the Lido pool to ourselves which was also great.

Archived