Bosphorus Cruise

We will be overnight in Istanbul at the end of May. We were thinking of doing a Bosphorus cruise. Has anyone done this? Can we do it on our own or do we take a tour? Should we do it during the day or in the evening?

We have done the Bosphorus Cruise both ways - ie as a tour and on the public ferry.

In early May (9th) last year we did a 2 1/2 hour cruise tour booked through the ship.

It departed at 4.30pm and returned at 7pm. We found the commentary provided very interesting as it gave us much more appreciation of what we were looking at.

When we returned to Istanbul in mid-November, we did the full day cruise on the public ferry. This one departs around 10am and takes a bit over 2 hours to go to a fishing village near the mouth of the Black Sea. The ferry stays there for about 3 hours (allowing plenty of time to have lunch and wander around) before departing for the return at around 3pm.

We thoroughly enjoyed both, but were pleased that we had done the partial one with the commentary first.

If you decide to do either, make sure that you take warm clothing - ie jacket, scarf, wrap, etc. as it can get very cold out on the water, especially in the late afternoon.

The open decks are the best places to see the spectacular scenery.

We did the late afternoon Bospherus cruise (referred to above) with HAL. We were on the Westerdam. I also have friends going to Istanbul later this year on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it is already listed for their cruise. I believe the price might be US$79 -

a bit expensive, but well worth while.

We have done the Bosphorus Cruise both ways - ie as a tour and on the public ferry.

In early May (9th) last year we did a 2 1/2 hour cruise tour booked through the ship.

It departed at 4.30pm and returned at 7pm. We found the commentary provided very interesting as it gave us much more appreciation of what we were looking at.

When we returned to Istanbul in mid-November, we did the full day cruise on the public ferry. This one departs around 10am and takes a bit over 2 hours to go to a fishing village near the mouth of the Black Sea. The ferry stays there for about 3 hours (allowing plenty of time to have lunch and wander around) before departing for the return at around 3pm.

We thoroughly enjoyed both, but were pleased that we had done the partial one with the commentary first.

If you decide to do either, make sure that you take warm clothing - ie jacket, scarf, wrap, etc. as it can get very cold out on the water, especially in the late afternoon.

The open decks are the best places to see the spectacular scenery.

Could you please give me a little more info on this? We're going in July, and I know there are a couple of specific Bosphorus Tour companies. I am interested in the one that you did, b/c I believe we would like to go to that village, also. I also read about taking a bus back from there b/c there's another city on the way back we'd like to see. The 25E..(We're in Istanbul overnight). We dock in Istanbul, of course. Thanks for your help.

Doing the public ferry would depend entirely on the time of the ship's departure. This is often at about 5 - 6 pm and you won't get back until around 5.30.

It leaves from the Eminou (?? spelling) dock - No 9 I think. It's the one closest to the Galata Bridge (over the road from a large mosque).

I believe you can take a bus back, but you would need to get off before the last stop.

The fishing village that we went to would be on the other side of the Bosphorus.

Archived