Zip Lining in Roatan

Cruzin55

Look at ronytours.com and they compare the 4 zip lines under excursions.

We are debating which company to use and are leaning towards South Shore as it looks like the scenery is very good and it looks fun. Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme appears to be the most extreme.

You can also google and see people's posted videos of the different companies.

We are leaning towards booking Rony's Tours to bring us to South Shore and then to the beach.

We went on Pirates Extreme last week and can't say enough about the outfit. Not sure what ship you are on, but they make themselves very easy to identify at the port. They were professional and just a good time. There were 9 lines, some long, some short, some super long (~1600 ft). The ride up the hill was interesting being it was washed out on the side of a cliff, but no worries. Double lines were used and the staff was on both end to assist.

What happened after the zip was something I've never ran across. A few of our fellow zippers asked to be dropped off in the west end to dine and shop, probably about 15 minutes from the port. Not only was that accommodated, the driver went in to make sure they were happy with the restaurant and offered to come back an hour later to pick them back up and take them to the port.

Long post, but I would zip with them again any time.

We were in Roatan last week and went with South Shore Canopy. It was the second time we had used them (the first time was about 4 years ago). It was fun, but the first time we went was better. This time, they kind of rushed us through the zips, sending the next person down the line before the previous person had finished. There was one time when the girl in front of me had braked too much before the platform, and came to a complete stop on the line. But they had already sent me down the zipline right after her, so when I saw her stopped I had to brake hard to avoid running into her. And they still sent my girlfriend down after me, so she too had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting me. After that, we spoke up and told them to space us out a little more. And we intentionally took it slowly when it was our time to hook up for the next zip. Things were much better after that. We even got them to loosen up a little and let us try a few tricks. My girlfriend went upside down once, and I went "Superman" style. That made it a lot more fun. Not trying to trash the guides, they were both very nice and gave us good instruction. Just wish we didn't feel like we were being herded through the zips like cattle. So get them to slow down a little so that you can enjoy the ride more. Because it certainly is fun to fly through the air, trees below you and the ocean off in the distance...

We pre-booked, however the price was the same either way. I see you are on the EPIC, we docked right next to them. When you get off the ship in the "secure area" take a right or ask someone to point you to the excusion companies. There is a row of them, Pirates was in the first booth on the right.

I noticed NY mentioned brakes, the Pirate zips have no brakes therefore only one person goes at a time. Not having brakes was not a concern b/c on 5 or 6 of the zips I still had to be pulled in and I'm not a small person. My wife had to be pulled in nearly every time. The pace honestly was rather slow for our group of 10ish people. However, had time to take in the views and enjoy the other people's company.

We didn't pre-book; South Shore encouraged people to pay in advance through their website but we really didn't want to do that. What if the weather was bad? What if the cruise ship couldn't dock there that day? We didn't want to have to worry about that. As it turned out, the weather was fine, but our ship (NCL Spirit) was diverted from Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole due to high winds. But I had directions from South Shore's website as to where to meet them at Coxen Hole, and they were right there as advertised. We signed up, paid up, and were on our way in about 15 minutes.

As for our zipline having "brakes", what I meant was that each person was given heavy leather gloves. With your gloves on, you can then grab hold of the zipline and pull down to slow yourself down. This was part of the instruction we were given, and that day, it definitely came in handy.

Look at ronytours.com and they compare the 4 zip lines under excursions.

We are debating which company to use and are leaning towards South Shore as it looks like the scenery is very good and it looks fun. Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme appears to be the most extreme.

You can also google and see people's posted videos of the different companies.

We are leaning towards booking Rony's Tours to bring us to South Shore and then to the beach.

I tried looking at the ronytours.com website that you suggested, and it appears to be down / unavailable. Any other resources to compare the zip lining choices in this port? I've got a group of teenagers plus some of their parents who are interested in going when we're in port the end of April.

• 3 weeks later...
We have zip lined before so looking for the most adventurous.

Prior to this past week we had done 5 ziplines (1 in Kauai, 2 in Gatlinburg, and 2 in Branson). We did the Extremely Extreme tour with Pirates of the Caribbean and it was fantastic! We had our own private tour, since we walked off the ship, met up with them, and they took us to the place and we went... no waiting for a big group which was awesome!

We chose that one after looking at the comparison chart because it had the highest and longest lines, and after doing several other ziplines, we wanted more adventure!

I thought these lines were actually better than the ones we did in Kauai which up until that point I had considered the best. We didn't do any kind of beach excursion afterwards; just went back to the ship. The driver offered to give a short tour of the area, but we decided to just do a little shopping and head back to the ship.

I was there in February and signed up to do zip lining with Clip 'N' Zip. I highly recommend them as it was a great experience. The three guides were named Elder, Bruce, ad Terrel, they were great. Another thing that I loved about this company was that they were right off the dock, no travel or anything. We did it first thing in the morning then my daughter and I caught a cab and headed downtown. Great time, as said do the early morning (book online) and then you have the rest of the day to enjoy the island.

Oh yeah, I still have the card, clipnziproatan.com

Just off our cruise March 27 and did Zip Lining in Roatan. After research, my daughter (17) and I (pushing 50 mom) decided on Extremely Extreme zip lining with Pirates.... As it was our first time, we didn't want to have to mess with any need to apply 'hand brakes'. We did the Zip in combination with a Dip.... We paid a $20/each deposit and the balance was due on arrival.

The Extremely Extreme run is 8 traverses.... The highest 300+ feet was the longest at 800+ feet. The van met us right where they said they would be (outside Mahogany Bay area).... They also provided instructions on how to find them had our ship been diverted to Coxen Hole. There were 12 in our group. We moved at a fair pace and only 1 person went at a time.

After zipping... the driver delivered the 4 of us who were 'dipping' to the private beach area (Parrot Cove Resort or such).... VERY nice beach with beds, chairs, pool, refreshments, etc. Was a condo resort area. The Beach here was sort of a protected man-made 'pond' that was channeled from the ocean. We were practically the first there and when we left at approximately 2, there were maybe 100 people there. By comparison, Mahogany Bay with 2 ships in port at MB, was VERY crowded when we returned to the Ship. Very well worth the $20/each extra for the private beach area!!

The driver returned to pick us up exactly when he said he would and returned us to Mahogany Bay.

I would use Pirates again without doubt and maybe double up and do both their lines. I read somewhere that they'll let you do a 2nd run for 1/2 price but didn't ask if that was true.

I have also decided to do the South Shore Zip/Dip excursion. Do you think it's better to pre-book online? I'm worried about the ship not porting, weather, or any other cancellation reason. I think the site said they keep 15% for cancellations. Can you book the excursion at the port? Not sure what to do...

We just returned from our cruise on Sunday and we did the Extremely Extreme zipline with Pirates of the Carribean. It was a blast! It is very high and the ziplines are long. I highly recommend them!

I have also decided to do the South Shore Zip/Dip excursion. Do you think it's better to pre-book online? I'm worried about the ship not porting, weather, or any other cancellation reason. I think the site said they keep 15% for cancellations. Can you book the excursion at the port? Not sure what to do...

You can definitely book there. I took the chance of booking early to save $5pp (and use my PayPal balance that was sitting out there). But you can also just pay there and I think they accept cash and credit cards.

Just got back Sunday as well, did Pirates Extreme and it was amazing, very safe and didn't book till we got there. They got us right in. Was nervous before arrival about my 13 YO daughter dangling that high in the air but they are very safe and use double back ups. Amazing views and a great time. booked off the ship and saved a fortune. Have never booked on the ship for any excursions and have never ran into a problem.

Has anyone done the Extreme Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline PLUS West Bay Beach afterward?

I am looking at Rony's tour that offers this combination, but wanted to know about how much travel time there is in-between. I don't want to spend our (precious) island time in a car. I want to make sure we'll have ample time to spend at the beach and not be rushed. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this and if it is recommended or not. Thanks!!

Archived