Freeport - Nice beach for 81-year old

northerncindy

I'm taking my mom on a cruise next week and am looking for a nice beach with bathroom facilities that is fairly easy to access. She is not in a wheel chair and is in good health, but doesn't have the greatest balance walking on bumpy areas or gets tired if she has to walk a long ways. I'm just looking for something with fairly good access. A free public beach would be great.

I'm currently looking at Junkanoo, Coral, Xanadu, and My Lucaya because I understand they are all nice and have facilities.

Any feedback or suggestions? (We leave on Sunday!) Thanks!

You might consider Deadman's Reef at Paradise Cove. http://deadmansreef.com/

It's a snorkeling destination but there's a nice shady pavilion, snack bar, gift shop and they'll pick you up at your cruise ship. It's quiet - no crowds when we've been there so it's not like going to Port Lucaya. Don't get me wrong - I love Port Lucaya! There's a public beach there that's more of a walk but there's also Count Basie Square right on the harbor. In the Square, there are chairs and tables (not beach chairs) where you can sit and watch the harbor, window shop at stores, and get takeout from various restaurants ringing the Square.

Just re-read your original post. Probably not enough time to book Paradise Cove. Port Lucaya (what you referred to as My Lucaya) is probably your best bet. Take the shared bus/taxi ($5 p/p) from the cruise ship to Port Lucaya. This is an old map of the area but it will give you a general idea.

http://portlucayamarketplace.com/lucaya/about_map.php

The map is old so the hotel names are different. The shared taxi/bus will probably drop you off at the taxi stand on that map. You will then need to walk across the street and through the hotels to get to the beach. It's not a bad walk so as long as she's somewhat mobile it should be doable. If it's not a beach day, just walk to Count Basie Square.

Archived