Disney Wonder--So many things going wrong.....Is it just the crew or old age of ship?

LadyLuck

Hi Everyone:

Thought of getting some thoughts on this. I've been reading some trip reviews from this site and it seems like the Disney Wonder is not delivering the same standards as expected of a Disney cruise. There are reports from buffet being closed most times, food in the dining room at substandard to children vomitting and doing other things in the pool with the pool being closed for some days. What is going on? I'm really apprehensive about booking now. I was really excited with a Disney ship doing some West Coast itineraries, but now.............not so sure anymore. My most important criteria for booking a Disney cruise is a fantastic Kids Club experience for my daughter, but now, the trip reports are saying the Kids Club is so overrun with too many kids and so disorganized that even some kids do not want to participate!!!

Others have said that the ship is getting old and showing a lot of wear and tear. Should I wait until the Sept 2011 drydock to book? Maybe a fall Mexican Riviera or a spring cruise (wherever the Wonder is going to be in Spring 2012)? Does anyone know what they are planning to do in Sept 2011 drydock? Changing beds and upgrading furniture a possibility?

What are your thoughts.............

We took the 2/20 MR cruise on the Wonder. These are my feelings in reply to your questions....

1. The buffet is open the same hours it has always been open on the Wonder. I think people who report about it being closed are comparing it to other ships that have buffets open 24/7.

2. Food is hit and miss and is so dependant on the individual. We *loved* Palo but read a couple of reviews on the dis board about families who didn't think it was anything special. IMO, the hot breakfasts weren't very good so I stuck to oatmeal, fruit, etc. We did enjoy the eggs benedict at Tritons.

3. IMO, children vomiting has to do with there being a lot of sick kids on the ships in Jan/Feb. This is a problem. There are many trip reports of both kids and parents being sick from the day they stepped on the ship. Putting a sick child in the pool or in the kids club is just a nightmare for everyone else on board.

4. As far as kids clubs having too many kids, I think, again that is a YMMV type of situation. Neither of my kids were bothered by the amount of kids there and we went over a holiday week (Presidents Day). Certainly the KSF promo brings more kids on board.

As far as kids not wanting to go to the club, I think you are always going to find kids who love the club and kids who don't. When we have sailed DCL out of PCO in the past, my kids didn't want to participate in the clubs or participate in club related activities but this time they did. I think it was because this time we had more days at sea so they had more time on the ship.

5. As far as wear and tear, every room we've been in has had its pros and cons. On the MR cruise, we did hear a lot more creaking on our first day down as well as our last day at sea. It think the Pacific is that much more rough than the Caribbean waters so it was noticible. Once we got down to Cabo on the second day, the noise seemed to go away. It didn't return until we started up the coast again.

6. I've heard rumors that an Spring 2012 should be announced this month but I don't if that is the case.

Sailed Jan. 30th. Did not notice any of the problems mentioned by OP. Buffet was open the usual times. I would have preferred it to be open more often but thats how Disney does it. Definitely did not notice kids vomiting! Kids clubs were great. Food was very good in Main Dining Room. Pools were always open. Great cruise overall.

Archived