Cell service/long distance calls

Our iphone worked fine both receiving and sending calls. But there's a bit of sticker shock when you get your phone bill. Just be prepared for that. Two suggestions: Talk to your carrier about a discount international calling plan while you out of the country, and try to use mostly texting. On our phone, international texts are only 50 cents each. A much cheaper alternative.

We are leaving Saturday for FP. We have a global droid but even before this our cell carrier would send us an international phone to use when out of the country. Calling from FP is $2.88 per minute! Texting on the other hand is 0.05 cents to receive and 0.50 cents to send so.........I am turning off the data switch and using the phone for an alarm and for texting. It's what our kids like best to do anyway.

I bought a phone card and used it at public phone boxes to call the U.K. It was very reasonable and you buy the phone cards in the post office. I looked at putting a sim card into my unlocked phone but it would only be good for calls within French Polynesia, so that was really no good. Phoning can be a problem. I have a very elderly Mother with health problems and texting would be no use for that, so it depends who you are needing to contact.

Archived