ship time vs port time

we3k9

i dont understand the time zone change. if our itinerary with the carnival feedom reads port time is 7am to 4pm for georgetown. is that ship time? and what time will it be caymantime? what time in caymantime is the last tender to the ship. we want to book excursions and are confused with taking a 10:30am time slot for a 4 hour tour.

I am not 100% sure on this but Grand Cayman does not recognize day light savings time, and they are on US EST time. If you are cruising out of Miami the ship will probably be on EST time also. So if cruising after we adjust clocks forward for daylight savings time Grand Cayman will be one hour behind ship time. I may be wrong but this is how I would think it would be. Maybe someone else will chime in.

We will be there next week, right after "spring forward". The private excursion we are using explained that they will not change their clocks. And I've been told our ship stays on the time of it's home port, which WILL "spring forward".

So when our ship docks AT Grand Cayman at 8am, it will actually be 7am IN Grand Cayman.

And the same time gymnastics carries through the day. The reason I do NOT rely on my cell phone for time...who knows what zone it will link to. Bring a separate watch/clock to follow the SHIP'S time so you get back on it!

Don't forget to have fun!!!!!?!!!

Peg

I am still confused about ship time. now with DST, Grand CAyman wil be a hor behind us.

BUT

My itinerary says we arrive in GC at 7:30 (I don't know if thats ship time EST or local time. I am guessing ship time is the same as local time because my itinerary matches the info on the local ports in GC and Cozumel.

When you got your confirmation e-mail. Does it say 8AM. If you look at the port, what time does it say your ship comes in? http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php

The link is confusing me. It tells me we dock at 7am on the Legend.

If I check my carnival itinerary, it also says 7am. Which would lead me to believe they are on the same timezone, but my reservation email from Capt Marvins informs me ship time will be an hour ahead.

I need one of those watches with two faces! :D

The ship is 99.99% certain to match it's time to the port's time. But since it is the ship that is going to sail away with or without you, set to the ship's time if you find out there is a difference.

Ship and airline itineraries show what time it is at the place you're going to be, not what time it is somewhere else. Commercial ships change their clocks enroute when crossing time zones so they are in sync with the next port.

my reservation email from Capt Marvins informs me ship time will be an hour ahead.

I got a similar e-mail from them.

My ship gets in at 7:30 and from what I understand, it will be an hour at least before anyone even gets off, if things run smoothly. (Carnival Liberty) And those are priority and Carnival tour folks. Since the ship holds almost 3k people. I am betting we miss our tour. They want to meet at 9:15 for the tour.

I am thinking of cancelling. Its cutting it too short I think.

I think we'll be late too, but I'm trusting they know the drill and have dealt with people being late all the time. We'll be up there and ready to get our tender tickets as early as possible. fingers crossed!

No need to panic:) I went through this "ship time versus port time" last year when trying to plan dive excursions. The people who are used to working with the cruise ships should know the ships schedule, and how long it takes most people to get off. In every case we were simply asked to get off as soon as possible. Even when we had to provide our own transportation, we never missed an excursion.

-Mike

Archived