Non-English speaking children in the kids´club

Vikingmum

I am from Sweden, and our family of four will go on a southern caribbean cruise on the Emerald Princess in April. I am sure that our two children (boy 8, and girl, 6) would enjoy visiting the childrens´centre/club (I don´t know exactly what it is are called on Princess), but the problem is that they don´t speak very much English. The 8-year old will start studying English in school this fall, and understands and speaks a few words, but neither them nor us parents feel comfortable leaving them there when they can´t communicate with the staff. The children speak Swedish and understand Danish and Norwegian and I know that the crew is international, but I don´t expect any of them to speak a Scandinavian language! So my question is; do you think that would it be ok for me and/or my husband to stay with them in the kids club, if they would like to parttake in their acitvities?

We have been on a Princess cruise before, on our honeymoon ten years ago. But that was before the children and we didnt´pay much attention to childrens´ acivites back then!

I had a similar concern when we sailed MSC last year. The majority spoke Italian and I was concerned about leaving my kid if there were no other children who spoke English. I found my worries were unwarranted. The staff spoke English and my daughter gestured with the other kids. (She was 3 at the time) I think it is much harder for your kids because they are older. My question would be can you see if they will allow you to put your kids in the same age group? At least then they will have each other.

I did stay for a awhile (in the kids club),until I felt comfortable leaving her. I typically do the first day or so of each cruise until I am comfortable. I don't know if they have to let you though, but I think they would under the circumstances. Another alternative, can you leave a walkie talkie with your kids. If they do have a communication problem or need access to you they can reach you immediately.

My younger sister was 4 and had been adopted from Russia a year prior to her first cruise. Her English was very limited, but we let the staff on the Caribbean Princess know that and they were absolutely wonderful with her.

When we sailed a 14 day Panama Canal cruise there was 2 families from Germany on our sailing. They had 6 kids of varried ages. The older kids spoke very limited english. The younger didn't. With such few kids on our sailing I wondered if this group would join my kids in kids club. They did quite often (most every evening)and the staff did there best to incorporate them in everything.

When my family started cruising , my boys spoke little English (Portuguese is their native language). My daughter had more fluency in English , but was in a different group.

They had no trouble at the Kids´Club. The staff was very patient and found ways to communicate. The boys made friends with many other kids including Russian speaking kids with no English. They even learned some Russian words. The Russian father stayed with the girls sometimes at the club to make them feel comfortable ( we were on Celebrity).

Kids are much more flexible and adaptable than adults!They really surprised me and their English really improved!

Have a wonderful time.

By the way , we fell in love with the Scandanavian countries on our Baltic cruise. Sweden was one of our favorites...really wonderful!

Kim

So my question is; do you think that would it be ok for me and/or my husband to stay with them in the kids club, if they would like to parttake in their acitvities?

Princess is one of the only cruise lines that does let the parents join their children in the kids clubs. Before my girls were old enough to be left at the club, I did lots of the crafts with them and there were often other parents there as well.

Best,

Mia

Archived