Legend: MDR vs Steakhouse - Which Nights?

tarheelmjfan

I want to make reservations for the steakhouse 3 or 4 nights of our cruise, & would like to plan around the best nights in the MDR. Which nights would you definitely not want to miss in the Legend MDR? TIA :)

I like to go to MDR on elegant nights. 1st sea day is one and I believe 3rd port day.

When we were on the Legend, we had dinner on the evening we left Cozumel. We booked it for 6pm and once we got there requested a table in the upper level. This way we had a perfect view of the beautiful sunset during sail away. It also gave us a nice view of the lower level of the restaurant. This was also the evening that the MDR served the Jerk Pork Loin and from what we heard we didn't miss much. Beware though, GO HUNGRY !! We got back on the ship from our snorkeling excursion around 2pm and ordered room service sandwiches. Big mistake.....all of the courses in the Golden Fleece are huge and you will need a good appitite to be able to enjoy. Also, just a tip, if you are really full after dinner, they will let you share a dessert and wrap up the other for you to enjoy back in your room later. The 6pm reservation time also allowed us to enjoy our dinner and then have plenty of time to see the shows. The entire dinner experience takes up to 2 1/2 hours.

When we were on the Legend, we had dinner on the evening we left Cozumel. We booked it for 6pm and once we got there requested a table in the upper level. This way we had a perfect view of the beautiful sunset during sail away. It also gave us a nice view of the lower level of the restaurant. This was also the evening that the MDR served the Jerk Pork Loin and from what we heard we didn't miss much. Beware though, GO HUNGRY !! We got back on the ship from our snorkeling excursion around 2pm and ordered room service sandwiches. Big mistake.....all of the courses in the Golden Fleece are huge and you will need a good appitite to be able to enjoy. Also, just a tip, if you are really full after dinner, they will let you share a dessert and wrap up the other for you to enjoy back in your room later. The 6pm reservation time also allowed us to enjoy our dinner and then have plenty of time to see the shows. The entire dinner experience takes up to 2 1/2 hours.

Was the first sea day the first elegant night?

I like to go to MDR on elegant nights. 1st sea day is one and I believe 3rd port day.

Thanks, well plan around those.

Thanks for the tip. Our cruise stops at Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, then GC. I'm guessing that means our last elegant night will be after GC. So, which day would we book in order for your plan to work? I noticed you said your ports changed days.

Thanks, well plan around those.

Thanks for the tip. Our cruise stops at Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, then GC. I'm guessing that means our last elegant night will be after GC. So, which day would we book in order for your plan to work? I noticed you said your ports changed days.

You could book the evening of sailaway from Cozumel. We saw the most beautiful sunset during our dinner time. Also, since we had an early reservation, it was not yet crowded so we were out in time to enjoy the evening shows. :) Remember.... go hungry... It's going to be a lot of great food.

Also, here's a link to the 7-day menu. When we were on the Legend it followed this menu. This way, you may also want to book a night where you do not see anything in the MDR that appeals to you.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/Menus_D_1-7.htm

IMO embarkation night had the weakest menu so that would be a night to consider...

Thanks for the suggestion. The first day menu doesn't look all that appealing. I just hope we don't start with the Steakhouse, then not want to eat in the MDR any. :o

You could book the evening of sailaway from Cozumel. We saw the most beautiful sunset during our dinner time. Also, since we had an early reservation, it was not yet crowded so we were out in time to enjoy the evening shows. :) Remember.... go hungry... It's going to be a lot of great food.

Also, here's a link to the 7-day menu. When we were on the Legend it followed this menu. This way, you may also want to book a night where you do not see anything in the MDR that appeals to you.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/Menus_D_1-7.htm

I have Cozumel down as one of the nights to reserve. I had penciled in a reservation time of 7:30. That may be too late though. I was thinking we'd need plenty of time to return to the ship, then shower & dress for dinner. It takes me forever to get ready, or so everyone says. :rolleyes: Maybe, I'll have to do a little less primping. ;)

What time are the shows? We're thinking of late seating in the MDR. When are the shows for late seating guests? Thanks again for your help.

We are splurging on our upcoming cruise. DH and I are going to the Golden Fleece on days 3 and 6 and we are taking our kids (16 & 11) on the last night. Now I can try all the things that look good instead of having to pick and choose. Our dinner at the steakhouse on the Dream was amazing and I am confident that it will be the same on the Legend.

Current promotion....Book the Steakhouse for the first night and receive a free bottle of wine with your meal. Don't know if it's their choice or yours.

I'm curious to know which wines are available. A free bottle will be nice. I think you've all talked me into adding the first night to our Steakhouse reservations. Now, we have the Steakhouse on the first & last night, & the night we're in Cozumel. We're definitely going to the MDR on elegant evenings. That leaves the nights we're in Belize & Roatan. Back to the menus I go to decide on those. biker.gif

We are splurging on our upcoming cruise. DH and I are going to the Golden Fleece on days 3 and 6 and we are taking our kids (16 & 11) on the last night. Now I can try all the things that look good instead of having to pick and choose. Our dinner at the steakhouse on the Dream was amazing and I am confident that it will be the same on the Legend.

Dining is a big part of our vacations. We're mostly letting our DS do the more expensive excursion. We'll pay the ride-along fee, when possible. I don't want to ride a zipline or swim with dolphins anyway (esp. the zipline :eek:) We'd rather spend what we would have spent on excursions on good food. licklips.gif He'll get both the excursions & good food, but he's starting college this fall. This is a special trip for him.

BTW, we're sailing on Legend too. We're really excited to be able to take a cab from our house to the port. This is our 1st time sailing on Carnival & leaving from Tampa. You're sailing before us. I hope you have a great time & come back to tell us all about it.

I'm curious to know which wines are available. A free bottle will be nice.

Someone posted in another thread that it's Santa Carolina which I find in a search at about $9 retail a bottle. Non-smokers might not like it because the description I found says, " The fruity, elegant nose surprises with notes of ripe figs and mild tobacco." ;)

Archived