Anyone ever done the Chilkat Eagle Preserve by boat?

Ponymom

When we reach Skagway we were thinking of going over to Haines by catamaran to take a float trip into the Chilkat Eagle Preserve. When we get back to Skagway 5/6 hrs later we're trying to do a 2-1/2 hr. tour by van. Has anyone ever done the float trip to the Preserve?

When we reach Skagway we were thinking of going over to Haines by catamaran to take a float trip into the Chilkat Eagle Preserve. When we get back to Skagway 5/6 hrs later we're trying to do a 2-1/2 hr. tour by van. Has anyone ever done the float trip to the Preserve?

We went to Haines last fall and I don't know where you go to "float into" the eagle reserve. It was about 10 miles upstream from Haines.

We did the Chilkat Eagle Reserve a few years ago. The river itself is a lavaflow type river, meaning it is very shallow and has several branches to it. In some places (we were in a rubber raft for about 10) the water was so shallow that we had to get out and push for a while. We launched the rafts from right on the river, next to the road that runs by it, so I am not sure by what you mean by float to the river either??? Unless you are just taking about the river float itself. The preserve itself was what we had hoped for. Many, many eagles and some right next to the raft. It was very cold on the river (August) and we were given raingear to stay dry.

Just my 2 cents but our family did the float trip and while it was nice I wouldn't do it again. If your interest is in seeing eagles, as mine was, you would be far better served walking down to the cannery where there is a huge concentration of eagles! No major time or monetary investment. The best part of the Chilkat trip was the trip over as we saw several whales. There are better things to do IMO. DaveM

By all means take the raft ride through the eagle preserve, it is awesome,back when we took it we started out with a plane ride through the glaciers and landed in Haines and then bussed up to ride from there and we met the ship at haines later that day.......

Archived