Taking Food Ashore?

pookie9922

I've seen some posts that certain ports won't let you take food off the ship. Does anyone know how to find out if they'll let you take food off the ship into Cozumel? Or whether or not they'll check bags?

We're doing the Tulum tour and I hear the box lunches leave something to be desired. I have a sensitive stomach already and we'd like to save a little money by not having to buy more food in case the lunch isn't big enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is not allowed, but if it is in a sealed container, I don't think they would say anything... the main concern, I believe, is fruit/produce, etc. It is like this in many countries. If you take sandwiches, remove the lettuce,etc. If they see the food, they will likely take it from you... So, remove the "produce" and pack it "nicely"...

Just remember the ports are usually HOT........and your food will get hot too.:(

The Tulum tour is pretty much an all day event. Maybe pack non-perishable snacks to tide you over. The peanut butter and jelly sandwich would also be ok. I wouldn't take any meat/cheese sandwiches.

Your Tulum tour is either 6 1/2 hours or 8 hours depending on which tour you choose. The time is based on when the tender leaves the pier for Playa and returns you to the pier afterwards. The others are correct about food leaving the ship. I've been on the tour with 7 or 8 different cruise lines and the lunch is pretty much the same. It is usually individual packages of snack items...container of tuna with stuff to mix (mayo, mustard, relish...), rolls, muffins, cookie, fruit cup, drink box, crackers, etc. Also, if all plans get messed up, there is a Subway and 2 other small restaurants located in the shopping area when you get off the bus at the ruins. No food is allowed in the ruins by the way - the box lunches are eaten on the bus before or after on the way to or from Playa.

Archived