Dolphin Discovery - are there difficulties with platform/ocean waves?

bsbcgirl

I am considering the Dolphin Discovery program at Chankanaab Park. I am a bit apprehensive about balancing on the platform in high water with waves, even though a life vest is worn. Can someone describe the actual environment where this takes place, rather than the dolphin experience which I'm sure is terrific? Thank you for your help.

Hello... My family has done two programs at Dolphin Discovery Cozumel.

I do not have a photo of the platform from our experience, but I did find this one from Google images. I cannot get it to load on the page, so you will find it on the attachment to this post. The platform is submerged about waist-deep in water and is about 2 feet wide. The system of chain-link fences, platforms, and piers does a good job of alleviating the waves/rough water inside the Dolphin Discovery area. (It is not as calm as a swimming pool would be, but it is much calmer than outside the dolphin area). In the picture you can see that the lady is standing further out on the platform near the edge, but that the two men are further back. I hope this helps!

572972620_dolphindiscovery.jpg.57deb8326d20004d0ab3bb2182dc2435.jpg

I am considering the Dolphin Discovery program at Chankanaab Park. I am a bit apprehensive about balancing on the platform in high water with waves, even though a life vest is worn. Can someone describe the actual environment where this takes place, rather than the dolphin experience which I'm sure is terrific? Thank you for your help.

We were there this past Nov. It had rained the night before as we traveled to Cozumel and the day we were in Cozumel we had periods of clouds and even a little sporadic light rain. The water was very choppy. I would have had problems if I had not had the life vest on. You have to swim out probably 50 feet for some of the interactions with the dolphins. There were not waves but I would say it was a little choppy. Certainly not smooth.

But I have heard of ones who did it and it was fairly calm water. I think it just depends on the time of day and the weather.

We were there last month and the water was a little choppy. But the platform is pretty wide and at times I would just reach back and balance myself by holding on to the dock. When my 9 year old did the kiss and the dance with the dolphin, the trainer just had my husband hold the back of her life vest, as you have to stand right at the edge of the platform for that. But it was a fantastic experience, definitely the highlight of our trip. I wouldn't let any fear of losing balance on the platform keep you from doing it. Have fun!:)

Archived