dinner dress attire

Gudenau1

on royal u were allowed to wear dress shorts

I've cruised many more cruise on Royal than your signature shows and at no time that I can recall, were shorts permitted under the published dress code. If someone went in with "dress shorts" and they weren't refused service, the crew was being polite.

Were they wearing collarless shirts that are not T-shirts? The dress code as clearly written specifically says no T-shirts.

I'm not sure what you would consider a t-shirt. Were there men wearing a type of t-shirt that someone would wear as an undershirt - no. But, there were plenty of men in collarless shirts. Some of them were basic, collarless, cotton shirts, either plain or with a design. Some had a crew-type neck and some had a v-neck.

I'm not sure what you would consider a t-shirt. Were there men wearing a type of t-shirt that someone would wear as an undershirt - no. But, there were plenty of men in collarless shirts. Some of them were basic, collarless, cotton shirts, either plain or with a design. Some had a crew-type neck and some had a v-neck.

Sounds like a t-shirt to me....

Yep, that's a T-shirt.

From the dress code:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

I'm always disappointed when someone says I'm wearing whatever makes me feel good. They go on to say they paid good money to do what they want, and they're on VACATION. And then they try to find a flaw in the written rules:mad:

The bottom line is that you wear what's appropriate. It's a means of showing respect to your fellow cruisers. It's fellow cruisers that make our cruises such a great way to vacation.:o

And you really don't have to be a lawyer to determine what's correct. In your heart of hearts you know what's appropriate.:rolleyes:

I'm always disappointed when someone says I'm wearing whatever makes me feel good. They go on to say they paid good money to do what they want, and they're on VACATION. And then they try to find a flaw in the written rules:mad:

The bottom line is that you wear what's appropriate. It's a means of showing respect to your fellow cruisers. It's fellow cruisers that make our cruises such a great way to vacation.:o

And you really don't have to be a lawyer to determine what's correct. In your heart of hearts you know what's appropriate.:rolleyes:

Well said

While we were always dressed according to the dress code, there was a tremendous variation in what people wore on both formal nights and smart casual nights. For example, on formal nights, there were a few men in tuxedos, a few men in suits, many men in sports jacket and ties, and many men who choose to wear a jacket without a tie. There were even a few men in short-sleeved shirts and khakis (and while I did see the maitre d' give one of those gentleman a jacket to wear into the dining room, the maitre d' also took it off the back of his chair just a few minutes later). Interestingly enough, all of those differences did not impact the enjoyment of my cruise whatsoever.

I was, however, much more impacted by a serious outbreak of the norovirus on our recent Solstice cruise. So, the appropriately dressed man in his very nice suit, who choose not to wash his hands as he left the restroom, definitely left a much bigger impact on me. I worked very hard to keep myself and my fellow passengers as safe as possible (for example, by washing my hands as needed). So, I had to wonder why he would choose to be so inconsiderate to his fellow passengers. I guess my priorities are a little different.

While we were always dressed according to the dress code, there was a tremendous variation in what people wore on both formal nights and smart casual nights. For example, on formal nights, there were a few men in tuxedos, a few men in suits, many men in sports jacket and ties, and many men who choose to wear a jacket without a tie. There were even a few men in short-sleeved shirts and khakis (and while I did see the maitre d' give one of those gentleman a jacket to wear into the dining room, the maitre d' also took it off the back of his chair just a few minutes later). Interestingly enough, all of those differences did not impact the enjoyment of my cruise whatsoever.

I was, however, much more impacted by a serious outbreak of the norovirus on our recent Solstice cruise. So, the appropriately dressed man in his very nice suit, who choose not to wash his hands as he left the restroom, definitely left a much bigger impact on me. I worked very hard to keep myself and my fellow passengers as safe as possible (for example, by washing my hands as needed). So, I had to wonder why he would choose to be so inconsiderate to his fellow passengers. I guess my priorities are a little different.

It would seem that someone not following the rules would be more of a risk of passing on noro than someone that is willing to follow the rules even in hand washing.

• 3 weeks later...

From clothing discussion to norovirus??:confused: DOES THE VIRUS FIND THE NICE SUIT MORE APPEALING?:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what does one have to do with the other? I think that's called, "stealing the thread".

Let's take your premise a little farther, "If the ship was sinking, I think the norovirus would no longer be MY priority". I guess MY priorities are a little different than YOUR priorities.:cool:

Yep, that's a T-shirt.

From the dress code:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time.

But .... While it says "at any time", I think we all know that it is highly unlikely that you'd see anyone turned away for wearing a T-shirt to breakfast or lunch.

So Pants are ok in the dining room ?

Ok I'm going to wear just Pants and a shirt in the dining room (Will I get any strange looks)

Nigel <<< from the UK

:D

I think I'd get some odd looks wearing thongs too!!!

I wonder if there are any garments that have a connotation in the US that they don't have in the UK?:rolleyes:

:D

I think I'd get some odd looks wearing thongs too!!!

I wonder if there are any garments that have a connotation in the US that they don't have in the UK?:rolleyes:

Can I just add fanny pack?

Tee hee

Archived