Port to Stockholm and back .. $72.00 ?????

I just checked the Princess web site for the Shorex on our upcoming cruise around the Baltic. I was staggered at the cost of the motor coach ride into Stockholm, with no extras, for a do-it-yourself walkabout. $72 ??. Only $62 if you cut yourself short by a couple of hours, but then they give you a snack too. Very confusing!!

Is it really that far ? (brochure says 1 hr)

Anyone know what are the alternatives in Nyashamn and Stockholm ?

Someone must have done this already. Thanks for your imput.

We did a Baltic cruise on RCCL Grandeur of the seas in 2003. As I recall the ship berthed in Stockholm and it was within walking distance into the town or the shuttle bus charged 4 dollars. Stockholm itself is very compact for all the major sights and we were able to see everything on foot.

Sounds like Princess cruises dock someway out of the city and that is the reason you are being charged so much.

• 2 weeks later...

If the ship is docking at Nynäshamn, it's about 45 min. from downtown Stockholm. Nynäshamn is on the coast. Stockholm is built on all these island and lots of cruise ships dock right in town. A cruise ship should be able to go close to down town, but for some reason yours won't. There is public transportation which in Sweden is very safe and usually reasonable. I come from Sweden and know about this "harbor", Nynäshamn. Travel to the island of Gotland (and medieval city of Visby) leaves from Nynäshamn. I will try to find the public bus times and cost and post back when I have found it. $72 is very steep though, but then the dollar is so weak right now. Taxi would also be very expensive. Sweden is not on the Euro, but still on their krona. It's about 7 kronor per dollar. (two years ago it was 11kr/1US$).

I went on Swedish websites and found this one that is translated into English, I don't know how well it is translated, but it should be good enough. It is the time table and the cost of getting from Nynäshamn to Stockholm. The buses are scheduled to depart when the Gotland ferry arrive and then they take you in to the city, Cityterminalen (which is the bus stop across the street from the Central Station). The central Station is located in the middle of Stockholm, just like most (all) central stations throughout Europe. From there you can walk around Stockholm, with a good map. There is a tourist bureau inside the Central Station where they will give you free maps and information and their English will be roughly as good as yours.:)

I just spent 4 days in Stockholm sight seeing last August. It's a wonderful city and should not be missed. It is very doable on foot. This is the link to the buses that take you from the harbor at Nynäshamn to the city and back. You have to allow time for heavy traffic. It does take one hour, depending on congestion, and it does get congested in the afternoon. Good luck! I'd be happy to help you with suggestions reg. what to do in Stockholm. Just ask away.

http://www.peopletravel.se/en/batbuss/

Archived