NCL Jewel Family questions 2011

tunseeker1

I am going on the Jewel in Sept with a 2yo and a 9mo and had some questions/concerns. If I don't find out the answers I will just update the thread with the answers to help out anyone in the future (hence the yr in title)

Ok I will just list the things I am thinking about and see what pops up for answers.

1. Costs for kids. Is there a price break on anything?

I know under 2 only pays taxes and it seems that neither have to pay daily fee according to the NCL rep.

2. Highchairs.

Do they have them and what style/condition are they in?

3. Kids menu.

Anyone know what is on the kids menu or what things are available that are not on the menu.

4. Kid friendly specialty restaurants.

Are there any?

5. Pack and play/crib.

What kinds and do you have to order? Rep said that the pack and play will be ordered ahead of time and she would request extra pillows.

6. Cabin type.

When we were booking the rep said that if we wanted 2 pack and play/cribs that there were only a few rooms that would allow that. My understanding is inside/outside only HC rooms would allow 2.

7. Strollers.

Any problems on board or in port?

Thank you for help and again when I get back I will update this again.:p

All of the NCL specialy restaurants allow children and they can eat for free if they order from the kids menu, except in the "Benihana"-type restaurant and possibly other high-end specialty places that require kids to pay full price.

Unless you have someone with you who is disabled, a handicapped room is not an option. Others have had their toddler sleep on the couch or on a mattress on the floor, or if they must have 2 pack n' plays, they have to spend the extra money for a larger cabin.

I've never had a problem with tandem strollers on board or in port. With a stroller, you must wait for elevators, so you just have to be patient.

Best,

Mia

When I talked to the rep she said that she would see what HC rooms she had to fit the kids in.

The handicapped rooms are unfortunately first come first serve not need based, and the lines want a full ship so they will sell them when they can.

Next question.

Anywhere have steamed veggies t o make baby food?

Just because you can book a HC accessible cabin does not mean that it is the right thing to do. There are so few HC accessible cabins, that if you book one just for the extra room, you then deny someone who truly needs a HC accessible room the ability to cruise.

You can make do with an inside, outside, balcony or suite standard cabins. You are choosing to cruise with toddlers. You need to make the sacrifice. If you really need the extra room, book a balcony cabin.

I agree with Mia.

I think that there is a communication issue about the HC room discussion.

The point I was trying to make is that if you want an inside/outside with 2 cribs that it will be an HC room, and the rep will sell it to you. I asked what the room numbers were and looked at the deck plan and saw that they were HC rooms.

I choose to book a suite because I believe that HC rooms should be the last rooms in a category to be sold, not sold for convience.

I am going on the Jewel in Sept with a 2yo and a 9mo and had some questions/concerns. If I don't find out the answers I will just update the thread with the answers to help out anyone in the future (hence the yr in title)

Ok I will just list the things I am thinking about and see what pops up for answers.

1. Costs for kids. Is there a price break on anything?

I know under 2 only pays taxes and it seems that neither have to pay daily fee according to the NCL rep.

Under 2, the fee is minimal. We did not have to pay gratuities but we did give extra to our room steward.

2. Highchairs.

Do they have them and what style/condition are they in?

They do have high chairs in all of the restaurants. They are in decent condition but we wiped them down before putting our daughter in them.

3. Kids menu.

Anyone know what is on the kids menu or what things are available that are not on the menu.

Hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese, chicken fingers, mac 'n cheese (all stuff kids eat). The buffet had a separate kids section which was nice.

One thing I recommend is having room service bring milk to the room every morning. There is a fridge in the room so I stored milk there. The steward removed the liquor to give us extra room. Sometimes room service brought extra milk so I had some for the evening as well.

4. Kid friendly specialty restaurants.

Are there any?

Tangos was kids friendly. I would not bring an infant to Cagney's or Le Bistro. They were a bit more upscale. However, if you decided to bring them, I would make it an early reservation.

5. Pack and play/crib.

What kinds and do you have to order? Rep said that the pack and play will be ordered ahead of time and she would request extra pillows.

We ordered a pack n play ahead of time. It wasn't in our cabin when we arrived however, our room steward set it up. I would bring a pack n play sheet because they use regular sheets tucked in.

6. Cabin type.

When we were booking the rep said that if we wanted 2 pack and play/cribs that there were only a few rooms that would allow that. My understanding is inside/outside only HC rooms would allow 2.

We had a standard balcony and with 1 pack n play the room was very tight. It would not fit 2 pack n plays. I don't know about the HC rooms.

7. Strollers.

Any problems on board or in port?

No problems in the hallways or ports however it was tight keeping it in the room.

Thank you for help and again when I get back I will update this again.:p

Hope this helps!!!!!

Archived