Ordering wine

mikxoc

When you order wine from the gifts section of Carnival.com is that wine delivered to your cabin or to your dinner table?

I wanted to order some wine online... but I would rather have it delivered to our cabin instead of the dining room.

this will be our first cruise on 4/4/05 out of NO. I'm a wine drinker but I don't know alot of the fancy wines.

I normally go for the white wines but on occassion I have had some soft red wines. My question to everyone who has been on a Carnival cruise who like wine what is the best wine to ask for say at dinner.

can't wait to go......

this will be our first cruise on 4/4/05 out of NO. i am a wine drinking but I don't do alot of the fancy wines.

I normally go for the white wines but on occassion I have had some soft red wines. My question to everyone who has been on a Carnival cruise who like wine what is the best wine to ask for say at dinner.

can't wait to go......

oops! you highjacked the thread!! :eek:

Kallie05:

We enjoy wine also. But, as we were cruising with our small kids, whom we brought to the dining room every night, I didn't want to splurge on anything expensive (no chance to fully savor an expensive wine when alternately buttering DD's bread and cutting up DS's meat!! LOL)

We only tried the white wines. Several of the least expensive offerings on the wine list are at the same price point. Of those, on the second night, we tried the one from Chile. Liked it well enough that we stuck with it for the remainder of the cruise!

Whichever ones you try, hope you enjoy!! Happy cruising!!

Kallie:

I prefer chardonnay with almost everything, and on our most recent cruise, our waiter recommended the One.6 Chardonnay, which is actually a low-carb wine. I'm not on the low-carb diet, but I tried it and loved it, and we ended up buying a second bottle during the cruise.

Judy

this will be our first cruise on 4/4/05 out of NO. I'm a wine drinker but I don't know alot of the fancy wines.

can't wait to go......

The best wine is the one that tastes best to you! Don't worry about what goes with what, just drink what you enjoy. If you are looking for a "softer" red as you mentioned, a good choice is Pinot Noir. Light bodied (i.e. not as heavy tasting/feeling), low tannin, and a wonderful silky texture. It goes well with many things.

Here's the wine portion of the drink price list that someone has posted here recently. I saved it...not sure if it's 100% accurate on all ships. As you can see, most of the wines are common names that you will see at your liquor or grocery store.

Wines and Champagne -

Bottle Glass (6oz) Asti, Martini & Rossi $20.00 ---

Moet & Chandon, White Star $58.00 ---

Korbell, Brut $21.00 $4.95

White Zinfandel, Beringer $21.00 $4.95

Sauvignon Blanc, Beringer $27.00 $6.25

Fume Blanc, Robert Mondavi $29.00 $6.50

Chardonnay Reserva, Caliterra $25.00 $5.75

Chardonnay, Meridian $27.00 $6.25

Chardonnay, Beringer $29.00 $6.50

Gamay Beaujolais, Beringer $20.00 $4.50

Pinot Noir, Gallo of Sonoma $24.00 $5.75

Merlot, Columbia Crest $27.00 $6.25

Zinfandel, Fetzer $22.00 $4.95

Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva, Caliterra $25.00 $5.75

Cabernet Sauvignon, Meridian $25.00 $5.75

Champagne Mimosa --- $4.95

Champagne Cocktail --- $4.95

Take your own wine with you! You'll save a lot of money and be guranteed to get the wine you want. While they do not allow you to take on beer or liquor, they will allow you to take on wine and champagne. We took a box of wine and 3 bottles of Champagne. our room steward even kept it all on ice throughout the week for us. If you take a bottle to the dining room they will charge you $10 for uncorking but that is still cheaper than buying from them. Our waiter did not charge us even though they are supposed to.

Any suggestions for which wines to choose. I like wine and I know the tastes that I like, but don't know what the names of them are. LOL

I prefer a rich, sweet red. But enjoy white too. I don't like a dry wines.

Anyone have any suggestions that might fit the bill?

Also... and don't laugh at my stupid question... but when it says dessert wines, does that mean that its a sweeter wine or does that mean that its a good wine to drink with dessert? LOL

You have a choice of where you want it when you order it via Carnival website....

I ordered ours to be delivered to our cabin at embarkation.....:)

Thank you! I'm off to place my order now.

Take your own wine with you! You'll save a lot of money and be guranteed to get the wine you want. While they do not allow you to take on beer or liquor, they will allow you to take on wine and champagne. We took a box of wine and 3 bottles of Champagne. our room steward even kept it all on ice throughout the week for us. If you take a bottle to the dining room they will charge you $10 for uncorking but that is still cheaper than buying from them. Our waiter did not charge us even though they are supposed to.

Did you check the box on with your bags & if you did, did you just write your room number on the side of the box? What was on the outside of the box, I mean did it say 6 bottles of Merlot, could they tell this came from a package store. Also I would worry about them breaking the bottles! Were leaving from New Orleans & are thinking of going to a store & getting a few bottles. Does anyone know if Package stores are open in New Orleans on Sunday mornings?

Any suggestions for which wines to choose. I like wine and I know the tastes that I like, but don't know what the names of them are. LOL

I prefer a rich, sweet red. But enjoy white too. I don't like a dry wines.

Anyone have any suggestions that might fit the bill?

Also... and don't laugh at my stupid question... but when it says dessert wines, does that mean that its a sweeter wine or does that mean that its a good wine to drink with dessert? LOL

Most non-dessert wines are "dry" (no residiual sugar). Even wine zins and reislings with a bit of sweetness are typically considered "off-dry". Many reislings have no sugar at all, despite what you may believe. Perhaps you mean that you like "fruity" wines, which is not the same as sweet. A wine can have lovely fruit flavors but no sugar. Reislings have a a wonderful fruity taste. One good tip is to note where the wine was made. More northerly wines (cool climate) wines often have a zestier more acidic fruit flavor (think apples and limes) versus warm weather areas that usually have riper, lush fruit flavors (think cherries). California tends to have more fruity wines than say France, which often have a more earthy flavor. A late harvest wine or ice wine will be sweeter because the later harvest means more residual sugar.

Dessert wines have sweetness and also make great apertifs. Think port, sherry, sauternes, etc. My favorite is moscato d'asti, a semi-sparkling wine that smells and tastes divine.

A fun thing to do is put together a wine tasting with your firends and have everyone bring a different bottle. There are also some great books and wine kits you can buy. We've expanded our wine knowledge quite a bit this way and it's a fun excuse to drink and enjoy a good time with friends!

Archived