I should have listened...

baaikins

Threads like these should be a sticky at the top of the page. Many first timers ask the question "is it OK to fly in the day of the cruise?".

Sometimes it works fine, but when it doesn't just look what happens.

We still prefer to check our bags (but we also fly in the day ahead of time) and we always pack one clean outfit each into the carry on. If the bags are missing, at least we have more than the clothes on our backs. We also cross pack for the same reason, in case one bag goes on a different vacation than we do.

We take it a step further and stay over a day or two if at all possible. No rushing to the airport, or worse, no going to the airport and waiting for hours on end. I realize that is not an option for all, but if you can manage it, it really is a nice way to re-enter real life. We just make sure one clean outfit each is in the carry on, we don't disturb our luggage at all. We have always found that the hotel where we are staying over is able to hold our (locked) bags until check in time.

My husband and I went on our first cruise Feb 28th and it was the Cruise from .... (you know where). We should have taken everyone's advise and flew to the port the night before, BUT no, I figured since we had four exta hours, then we wouldn't have a problem. I was so wrong!!!

I had been looking forward to this cruise for 10 years. Monday morning we arrived at the airport at 6:00 AM, boarded our Delta flight at 8:00 AM. The plane was packed and there was no room left in the overhead bins for our carry-on, so we were told we had to check the bags (mistake #1).

Thinking we were going to depart (mistake #2), the pilot informs us there's a mechanical problem with the plane and a mechanic is going to come and take a look. After 30 minutes the pilot comes back on over the loud speaker to inform us the problem is going to take a few hours and we need to get off the plane. I immediately got up and was literally the first one out and at the counter ready to book the next flight to Atlanta. I found out the 6:00 AM flight to Atlanta had also been cancelled and now they had two planes worth of people to re-book. The 10:00 AM flight was also cancelled due to Mechanical problems (are you beginning to see a trend here). They booked us on a 12:40 flight which would get us into Atlanta after our connecting flight to Jacksonville had left (mistake #3). No one seemed to care when I explained that we were meeting a cruise ship and had to get to Jacksonville by a specific time. One of the ticket agents did make the comment to me that I should have known to fly in the night before my cruise, her family is attending her funeral service today! lol

So I called the 800 # to notify the cruise that we had missed our flight but was trying to get to the dock before they left. At this point everything became a blur. Somehow we were squeezed onto a flight, made a connection and arrived in Jacksonville 10 minutes after the ship was to depart. I called "Barbara", my new best friend, every 15 minutes to give an update as to where we were and what time I thought we would be at the ship. Barbara kept telling me to HURRY! I was waiting for our luggage and David was getting us a cab. Our luggage NEVER came. We had NO luggage; we filed a quick claim and raced out to catch the cab to get to the ship. The cruise waited 45 minutes for us to get there. David and I went to our room and just sat there unable to believe we made it and that we had NOTHING with us. We realized we hadn't eaten all day, so decided to first search for food, which was an easy thing to do. Then we went to the ship's gift shop and were able to find one (1) pair of Capri pants and two (2) shirts in my size. David was able to find a few more items. For three days we had none of our stuff.

On Wednesday morning we were scheduled for a snorkeling excursion as soon as we docked Key West. I didn't have a swimsuit so as soon as we could get off the ship; we ran and found a swimming suit shop where I was able to purchase a swim suit. The water was so rough it was very difficult to snorkel and the reef we were suppose to look at, was about a 1/4 of a mile from where we anchored, so I don't think anyone actually made it all the way to the reef. I got into the water (mistake #4) and almost drowned. I got back onto the boat and was ready to call it a day.

When we got back onto the cruise ship and back to our room, we found 2 out of 3 of our luggage bags. We called Customer Service to find out where the 3rd bag was and they informed us they had it because there was a security issue with an item inside it. We had brought a "hand steamer" (mistake #5) and they confiscated it and told us we could have it back when we returned to Jacksonville.

The last day at sea was horribly rough. It was storming all day and the dance shows were cancelled because the performers couldn't walk on stage let alone try to dance. The ship rocked the entire day. David became very ill (not from sea sickness) but from the flu and felt bad all day.

The flight back home on Saturday was almost as much of a nightmare as the flight at the beginning of the trip. I think it only took us 12 hours to get home.

Okay, now I am going to mention all the positives: we did made the ship before it set sail; we were able to eat anytime day or night; we loved Nassau and the beautiful colored water; we spent "quality" time together; we made it home safely; Delta is reimbursing us for all of our purchases (up to $499); and we will have something to laugh about for years to come! Now we just need to decide when to book our next cruise...

I am so sorry you had such a hard time!! Your positive attitude does shine through!! That was definitely a "series of unfortunate events"

Its a great reminder to us all that its important to fly out the day before. I struggled with that one due to work but I am forcing my family out the night before so we can be sure to make it on time with what we need.

I am glad that you made it on the ship and back off in one piece. I sincerely wish you a wonderful next cruise!!

Great story to tell for years to come. Glad you have such a positive attitude about it all. And, like others, I'm amazed and impressed that Carnival held the ship for you.

Several years ago I flew from Charlotte to Barcelona with a change in Munich that I barely made as we were a bit late landing in Munich. I arrived in Barcelona landing at the airport at 1:30 p.m. for what I think was a 4:00 p.m. sailing - maybe it was 6:00 p.m. I was a nervous wreck by the time I got onboard but very glad to be there.

And it was all the airline's fault as I was booked to fly in a day early and had a problem with USAirlines not letting me on the flight - it was a codeshare problem with USAirlines not honoring a last minute change from Lufthansa which they were supposed to have honored. That's the short version.

I complained to USAirways when I got home and after two letters got $300 in travel vouchers, but I've learned to check and double check flights to make sure I'm booked on the flights as planned.

Just a little tip I thought you should know. Many of my co-workers (we work in an airport) think that Delta is actually an acronym for Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport. Either that or Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive! Take your pick.

I used to be a die hard travel anything but SW. I mostly flew Delta. However the last 2 times I traveled with Delta my luggage was lost, and the very last trip with them, lost luggage and lost return flight for myself and two of my sons. They said my return flight was scheduled for 2 months later. The ticket agent then proceeded to tell me that if I were a more seasoned traveler I would have noticed the return flight mistake I made. I then showed him my printed itinerary with the correct return flight and that I flew at minimum 8 times a year domestic and international. All he said was "oh". Of course he was unable to get us on a flight until the next day. Fortunately, we were able to visit with long lost friends for the afternoon and evening. Moral of this story, never have flown Delta again and hopefully never will. Now, I have gotten over being herded onto a Southwest flight because I have never been late nor have I had missing luggage.

Our adventure wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but it did cause a few of my grey hairs.

We were supposed to fly Continental from Little Rock to Houston to San Juan for the island a day trip through the southern Caribbean. Leave LR at 6a.m., get to SJ at 5p.m. for a 9 p.m. sail away. BUT the first pilot hadn't slept his 8 hours so the flight was delayed enough that it would cause us to miss our flight in Houston. The gate attendant in LR said they would get us to SJ, but not in time for the sail away. He got us moved to an American flight which connected in Chicago. We were on an American Eagle flight to Chicago and then it got really bad. We were forced to fly first class from Chicago to SJ!!!:eek: Free food, free booze, little steam heated wash-cloths to clean our faces and hands! It was aweful! And Continental paid for it (well, they paid for the 1st class) and gave me my miles for it too.

I did learn to fly the day before, but what a harrowing experience! We were the next to the last couple to board, not VIP, but we might as well have been.

We have only cruised twice so far (Western Carib 2004 and Hawaii 2007), both times with our teenagers. Both times I insisted, over my husband's very vocal objections :confused: , that we arrive a day early, JUST IN CASE. He argued that we had purchased trip insurance, we were carrying on all our luggage, (we can pack very light for warm locals!:D), we had PLENTY of time between flights and we were scheduled to arrive hours before the ship left the dock. Luckily, we did not run into any travel delays on either trip and he is now using this to convince me that we don't have to arrive a day early on our Oct. cruise out of San Juan on the Serenade of the Seas to the Southern Carib. (First trip without the young adults! :rolleyes:)

You just gave me my answer to his side of the discussion!

And congratulations for making lemonade out of lemons!! Statistically, you should have no problems at all on your next cruise!

My husband and I went on our first cruise Feb 28th and it was the Cruise from .... (you know where). We should have taken everyone's advise and flew to the port the night before, BUT no, I figured since we had four exta hours, then we wouldn't have a problem. I was so wrong!!!

I had been looking forward to this cruise for 10 years. Monday morning we arrived at the airport at 6:00 AM, boarded our Delta flight at 8:00 AM. The plane was packed and there was no room left in the overhead bins for our carry-on, so we were told we had to check the bags (mistake #1).

Thinking we were going to depart (mistake #2), the pilot informs us there's a mechanical problem with the plane and a mechanic is going to come and take a look. After 30 minutes the pilot comes back on over the loud speaker to inform us the problem is going to take a few hours and we need to get off the plane. I immediately got up and was literally the first one out and at the counter ready to book the next flight to Atlanta. I found out the 6:00 AM flight to Atlanta had also been cancelled and now they had two planes worth of people to re-book. The 10:00 AM flight was also cancelled due to Mechanical problems (are you beginning to see a trend here). They booked us on a 12:40 flight which would get us into Atlanta after our connecting flight to Jacksonville had left (mistake #3). No one seemed to care when I explained that we were meeting a cruise ship and had to get to Jacksonville by a specific time. One of the ticket agents did make the comment to me that I should have known to fly in the night before my cruise, her family is attending her funeral service today! lol

So I called the 800 # to notify the cruise that we had missed our flight but was trying to get to the dock before they left. At this point everything became a blur. Somehow we were squeezed onto a flight, made a connection and arrived in Jacksonville 10 minutes after the ship was to depart. I called "Barbara", my new best friend, every 15 minutes to give an update as to where we were and what time I thought we would be at the ship. Barbara kept telling me to HURRY! I was waiting for our luggage and David was getting us a cab. Our luggage NEVER came. We had NO luggage; we filed a quick claim and raced out to catch the cab to get to the ship. The cruise waited 45 minutes for us to get there. David and I went to our room and just sat there unable to believe we made it and that we had NOTHING with us. We realized we hadn't eaten all day, so decided to first search for food, which was an easy thing to do. Then we went to the ship's gift shop and were able to find one (1) pair of Capri pants and two (2) shirts in my size. David was able to find a few more items. For three days we had none of our stuff.

On Wednesday morning we were scheduled for a snorkeling excursion as soon as we docked Key West. I didn't have a swimsuit so as soon as we could get off the ship; we ran and found a swimming suit shop where I was able to purchase a swim suit. The water was so rough it was very difficult to snorkel and the reef we were suppose to look at, was about a 1/4 of a mile from where we anchored, so I don't think anyone actually made it all the way to the reef. I got into the water (mistake #4) and almost drowned. I got back onto the boat and was ready to call it a day.

When we got back onto the cruise ship and back to our room, we found 2 out of 3 of our luggage bags. We called Customer Service to find out where the 3rd bag was and they informed us they had it because there was a security issue with an item inside it. We had brought a "hand steamer" (mistake #5) and they confiscated it and told us we could have it back when we returned to Jacksonville.

The last day at sea was horribly rough. It was storming all day and the dance shows were cancelled because the performers couldn't walk on stage let alone try to dance. The ship rocked the entire day. David became very ill (not from sea sickness) but from the flu and felt bad all day.

The flight back home on Saturday was almost as much of a nightmare as the flight at the beginning of the trip. I think it only took us 12 hours to get home.

Okay, now I am going to mention all the positives: we did made the ship before it set sail; we were able to eat anytime day or night; we loved Nassau and the beautiful colored water; we spent "quality" time together; we made it home safely; Delta is reimbursing us for all of our purchases (up to $499); and we will have something to laugh about for years to come! Now we just need to decide when to book our next cruise...

what a nightmare. but im glad you made it and got your bags. i always go the day before the cruise and enjoy the port city and am rested for the cruise. some cant do that because of work or other reasons but i am able too thank god. this was just your first taste of cruising and it sounds like you really enjoyed the experience after all the initial problems. now on your next one you will have a more relaxed enjoyable time i bet ;). happy cruising in the future.

To the OPs --

Thumbs up to you for not blaming anyone else for your errors (there is a lot of that here).

Glad you were able to enjoy it in the end.

By the way, I've never had a bad experience with Delta, but maybe I am pushing my luck. Almost didn't have space in the overhead on my last flight, but I just told the young man that had shoved his extra in my space to take it out!!!!! He was stunned and did so (I did not yell,I was just super polite and firm).

There was a lady sitting across the aisle from me who told me that I wasn't being very nice. I told her that if she is so self-sacrifcing she should let him have the place in her overhead.

To the OPs --

Thumbs up to you for not blaming anyone else for your errors (there is a lot of that here).

Glad you were able to enjoy it in the end.

By the way, I've never had a bad experience with Delta, but maybe I am pushing my luck. Almost didn't have space in the overhead on my last flight, but I just told the young man that had shoved his extra in my space to take it out!!!!! He was stunned and did so (I did not yell,I was just super polite and firm).

There was a lady sitting across the aisle from me who told me that I wasn't being very nice. I told her that if she is so self-sacrifcing she should let him have the place in her overhead.

Good for you!

WOW! So sorry your trip was so rocky but I love your positive attitude!

I have to say it brought back memories of our first cruise which was for our 10th anniversary. I had never been to this site and pretty much did all the planning on my own. We took a flight out of Raleigh-Durham on a Friday at 3 pm to catch our 11 am cruise in Vancouver. The airline announced the 3 pm was delayed because of mechanical problems.

HERE'S MY TIP: I had printed out every possible flight to get us to Vancouver and when the airline attendant said there were no options I quickly pulled out my print outs and said oh yes there are (nicely). She told us to RUN to make it and we did. Only to make it on a plane that ended up being delayed on the tarmac in Minneapolis ALL NIGHT long (about 6 hours). We arrived in Vancouver long enough to shower and eat before boarding the ship. But after that, the trip was perfect! (Except for one bad sea sick day.)

so print some additional options and make sure there are plenty of hours between your airline departure and your ship's departure. In my case, I didn't leave 24 full hours and I cut it close when we had that far to fly!

Archived