hotel in the tampa,fl area

tostadas

i'm thinking of booking pre-cruise night at the Hampton Inn Rocky Pt w/ cruise package for $99. it covers breakfast, and all transportation i'll need in tampa.

i was wondering if there are any other good places you guys might recommend in the area. my main priority is cost for 2ppl, factoring the total amount for hotel, transportation (airport -> hotel, hotel -> dock, dock -> airport), and breakfast.

also somewhat beneficial would be nearby restaurants for quick dinner, and a convenience store for last minute supplies.

thanks

Also, if you go to the 'North American Homeports' and pick 'Florida Departures' area of the cruise critic message board there are LOADS of hotel suggestions and what's close to each one etc.

I live in the Tampa area and I can tell you that Rocky Point isn't the closest area to the port, but it really isn't that far out of the way. It's a few minutes from the airport and probably 15-20 minutes from the port, depending on traffic. It probably isn't a bad idea considering the downtown hotels can be very pricey. There are a few restaurants in the Rocky Point area but I can't think of a store for last minute shopping. There is a mall nearby that wouldn't cost too much to get to by cab.

Ashley

We stayed there last November - it was great! Shuttle service from the airport. Shuttle next morning to the port and then a Shuttle back to the airport from the port when we returned. For $99 can't beat it - and a nice breakfast! There is a Bahama Breeze Restaurant within walking distance too. We didn't see any shopping though. We're planning on staying there again in December when we cruise again!

There are a few restaurants in the Rocky Point area but I can't think of a store for last minute shopping. There is a mall nearby that wouldn't cost too much to get to by cab.

Ashley

in that case, if i take the shuttle to the port on the day of the cruise, are there any stores by the port to pick up things like sunblock and drinks?

in that case, if i take the shuttle to the port on the day of the cruise, are there any stores by the port to pick up things like sunblock and drinks?

Ashley, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point pre-cruise. It is directly next door to the Hampton Inn. In fact, they share a parking lot. The Rocky Point area sits on Tampa Bay and is very clean, safe and pretty. The shuttle to the port was about 15 minutes and they are very well organized. When they drop you off at the port, the shuttle driver will give you directions on where to wait for pick-up after the cruise. It was very quick and easy. Having a hotel that offers the return shuttle is a $25 savings as that is what the flat-rate cab fare is back to the airrport. The shuttle will take you to the airport or back to the hotel after the cruise.

For restaurants, there is a Bahama Breeze next to the Holiday Inn. It is just a matter of walking across the parking lot. We had a fantastic meal here. We went on a Saturday Eve around 8pm so it was prime time and there was a little bit of a wait but they have an outdoor deck area with a Buffet style band playing so that along with a cold drink made the time fly-by. You can also call the restaurant from your hotel room and they will add your name to the waiting list. Another tip is that they are a Dardin Restaurant which owns Red Lobster and Olive Garden. They will accept thier gift cards with of course the Bahama Breeze gift card. This is a neat way to pre-pay as much as possible if that may interest you. Here is a link to their menu if you want to take a peek: http://www.bahamabreeze.com/menus/

As far as a convenience store, there is a small neighborhood market located in the Post Rocky Point Apt complex. It is almost directly across the street from the hotel. The street is not busy at all and there are sidewalks so the walk would not be bad at all. I'm not sure of their hours though. Also, directly across the street from the port there is a wine shop. It is located in the Channelside shopping complex. They are open 7 days a week at 11am, so keep this in mind as it is just a quick walk acrosss the street from the port. Here is thier link as well. http://www.tampawinedesign.com/

Also want to mention that the hotel has free shuttle service anywhere within a 4 mile radius. The International Plaza is an upscale mall that has many very nice shops as well as several restaurants and a wine shop if you want to purchase wine before your cruise. The wine shop is called " The Grape" and has wine by the glass or bottle and also offers Tapas. It is within the 4 mile area. Here is their link as well. http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/

Good luck and have a great cruise.

DH and I stayed at Chase Suites. It was nice, clean, free breakfast, and shuttle service to the port. I don't remember the cost, but we were very satisfied with this place. If we sail from Tampa again, we will stay there again. Bahama Breeze was right next door. Not sure how close a store for last minute items is.

Archived