More Ecstacy-Heckstacy Observations

costpenn

My wife and I were on the 3/03 Ecstacy with the "propulsion problems". Was our first and last cruise with CCL - going back to RCL and Disney. We did a considerable amount of research here and at other boards prior to embarking - following are some notes on the trip in response to things learned here prior to leaving:

*Nacchi Cocom in Cozumel was great - the 32.00 all inclusive was a great deal - beach was crystal clean, good service, and not crowded at all - what a view from the Hot Tub with a Pina Coldada in hand!! (Thanks to my wife for shoveling me into the cab and getting me back on the ship)

* The Calypso band on board the Lido deck (Exentrique)was awesome on their reggae covers and originals - not like most of the hack jobs you get on cruises. The rest of the entertainment on board was not worthy of getting a 1st round American Idol audition.

* Two tips on food - the Cheesebugers outside on the Panorama grill are great (ask for one without the onions, lettuce etc...and they'll pull one right off the grill for you), but the fries suck - so what we did was go inside to the meat carving (ham of roast beef) line and get the steak cut fries to go with our burgers - much better. Also, a tip learned beforehand that was cool is the Rolls Royce coffee bar makes some awesome milkshakes, but they are not on the menu - you have to ask. Lastly, the 24 hr. Pizza was pretty good.

* In response to some postings, we did the bit of paying an extra 30.00 to our room steward on the first day to insure better service - didn't help - room was only entered once a day ex.towels used at midday were not picked up untill room serviced next day, Didn't get the towel animal except for one night - boo-hoo.

* If you want decent orange juice and coffee, have the sit down breakfast in the Wind Song - the stuff availalble in the buffet lines was awful.

* In general, there is a definite sense amongst most of the service people of thinly veiled contempt for the customers - ex. my wife went to one of the poolside bars looking for a Red Stripe - thet said we're out - my wife pointed to one they had on the BAR - they guy takes it - throws it in the cooler and says - now I don't have one. There were exceptions - a bartender named Tuly at the Metro bar was great.

* The 'hidden deck area" in front of the Blue Sapphire was pretty cool - it was funny looking up at all those people on the upper decks trying to figure out how we got there!!

* Met a cool couple at dinner - they became CC board members after we talked (dk3410) - shame on those of you for going after her for writing an honest review of what happened Monday night (you are shooting the mesenger - they were very nice people) Believe me, it was WORSE than what she portrayed. Yes, "propulsion systems" go out, these things happen yada, yada... but the complete lack of guidance and personel that were nowhere to be found anywhere around the Blue Sapphire (except for the clueless ACD) was just inexcusable.

CostPenn

Not flaming you but a quick question - Don't you think deciding never to do CCL again is a bit extreme?? I fully understand the irritation at having to deal with what happened but.....Its a personal decision and if thats how you feel -go for it. Just a thought. We have been on 4 CCL cruises and are scheduled for our 5th in 29 days. We have never experienced any of the attitudes or problems noted here - guess we were lucky. Point is they are all not that way so why throw away a opportunity for a great cruise because one went a bit haywire?

CostPenn thanks for reminding me about the reggae band on Lido. They were very good--the only good entertainment/music on board, period.

Out of Red Stripe my ass---there was plenty on our last day at sea (well, on second thought, maybe we drank it all!) and we left the day you guys boarded. What a rude bartender. Geez. I know who you're talking about...the ones on Lido had the WORST attitude, like "don't bother me, stupid American!" It totally gives credence to the theory that some of the staff do have exactly what you said, contempt for the passengers. Although the staff was OK (except for the pushy ones) I went on this cruise expecting the PASSENGERS to be rude or obnoxious to some degree and I didn't see any of that.

Never, ever, ever again on this ship. And if that had been us stuck out there an extra day and we received that kind of treatment and attitude, I'd feel the same way as dk and the other posters. Funny how the ones flaming them didn't have to go through that experience but sure seem to know *just* how it feels. :cool:

Don't you think deciding never to do CCL again is a bit extreme??

I fail to see what is extreme about it - this couple spent hard earned money and well-deserved vacation time and were disappointed in the product they received. It's not like he spent a buck-ninety-eight for a burger that wasn't to his liking and not like Carnival is the only game in town. There are plenty of cruiselines from which to choose, and IMHO, only a fool would spend another couple of grand giving any cruiseline a "second chance" when there are so many other options.

I fail to see what is extreme about it - this couple spent hard earned money and well-deserved vacation time and were disappointed in the product they received. It's not like he spent a buck-ninety-eight for a burger that wasn't to his liking and not like Carnival is the only game in town. There are plenty of cruiselines from which to choose, and IMHO, only a fool would spend another couple of grand giving any cruiseline a "second chance" when there are so many other options.

To each their own

Based on what I am seeing here we have some folks out there that seem to think Carnival should just shut down. I am not defending what happened to these folks. It was bad and they should get some kind of compensation because as was so eloquintly pointed out, they spent good money and it didn't go well. And no Carnival is not the only game in town and I would submit if you don't like cruising Carnival - go elsewhere. I think however based on reviews of the other ship lines you will find for the most part they are all pretty similar - with many of the same problems. No one spends good money on a vacation thinking it will turn into a living hell - but sports fans here is reality - stuff happens. That don't make it right and it doesn't make it pleasureable. But for those who keep saying things like "We will never sail Carnival again" and those who root them on - you need to go to the other boards and see whats happening over there. Same "stuff." OK by me if these attitude problems go elsewhere - just more room for the rest of us. :)

Here's my $0.02.....I think for the most part most people understand that these things happen to all cruise lines, not just Carnival. Where it breaks down is how people are treated when these situations arise. I've sailed Carnival 2 times & have a 3rd currently booked & looking forward to it. People have a tendency to be able to handle these situations better if they are given accurate, reliable & consistent information. I also think the crew can be better trained to handle these situations...knowing they can happen & be prepared ahead of time in the event that it does. When customers are taken care of.....good times & bad.....is when you build your reputation. I remember an old saying, "Trade goes where it's wanted most & stays where it's treated best." If it was handled properly, the good PR from this could be invaluable to Carnival....it's all about taking care of your paying customers.

Does that mean you are canceling your next cruise?????

I don't have a clue what you are trying to suggest. My next cruise is my first with Carnival - so obviously they haven't done anything to earn my scorn.

I have never experienced any disappointment in Princess and will sail with them again. I've heard many positive things about Carnival. This has led me to give them a try in September, when incidentally, the Golden Princess is leaving from the same port on the same day for the same destination. But Carnival's good reputation, plus those wonderful commercials (:) ) has encouraged me to try something that I believe will be a different experience, and hopefully a good experience. I am not at all difficult to please and tend to believe as they say that "the worst day at sea is better than the best day at work". But if I should go on a cruise with Princess, Carnival, or someone else and come back feeling that my time and money were ill spent, you can bet I'll be going somewhere else.

I don't get it with these cheerleaders here (and all the lines have them) - you must all be stockholders or something to be so defensive of poor treatment and so rude to passengers who paid for something they didn't get.

BJ

Interesting that you should make those comments above. Your previous comments tend to indicate a negative attitude. If that is not your intent then perhaps we have misread you. As you have misread our intent. We are not cheerleaders and find bad service - bad service regardless of where it comes from. Point is there are bad situations on every cruise line so to attempt to single one out as "BAD" is just not fair. I take it you have never had a bad cruise experience on the other line and if so that is great. I personally have never had a bad experience on Carnival. Haven't been on any other line (no need really) but may well try one just to see for myself - as it appears you are doing. Good on ya. Hope you have a great trip.

I've cruised alot on various cruiselines and had similar issues (i.e. engine malfunctions, itinerary changes due to weather, etc.). These are unfortunate incidents, that do occur when you are cruising. When these incidents occur I try to look at the situation from this angle:

If I was on a deserted stretch of highway in West Texas 200 miles (or 4 hours) from anywhere and my car broke down. What would I tell my passengers if they were demanding to know when we were getting to El Paso? AGH...ugh..let's see..hmm.. "I've called AAA and they are sending someone here to fix the car in a few hours? or I've called a tow truck and it will be here in a while?" or I'm going to go look under the hood and try to fix it?" You see, when unexpected events occur and you're miles away from the parts or personnel to do the repairs - it's really hard to give an accurate answer to those passengers demanding an answer. I understand this, because I've been the passenger demanding an answer..from a cruise ship staff member - who doesn't have an answer. Flat out - the ship is broke and we don't know when it's going to be fixed, is not the answer passengers want to hear! Yes the cruiselines have an obligation to maintain these ships..but running 24/7 for 50 weeks out of the year..chances are things will break!

My point is, yes it's aggravating, yes it's costly but this isn't a specific Carnival issue. I've had Carnival malfunctions, RCCL malfunctions, NCL malfunctions - and for the most part, they aren't malfunctions that result in compensation. The Cruise Industry as a whole handles these situations identically! Something unknown has screwed up your vacations...and they don't known when it's going to be fixed.

JMHO

Wow - I was hoping to get more feedback on the individual items I raised regarding the food, service, etc.. on board rather than our decision never to cruise CCL again. I do certainly agree with the poster who said that it seems some people act like Carnival cheerleaders (or stockholders) in their relentless criticisms of those who do not agree with their view of Carnival. I even saw a thread somewhere soliciting a new poster on how they found out about the boards because new posters are almost always negative (Paranoia?) It's human nature - remember the business axiom that a dissatisfied customer will tell ten people about his experience, while a satisfied customer tells one. Anyone notice dk3410 haven't posted again - I can't blame them.

I've traveled on Disney and RCCL, and had nothing but excellent experiences. Sure there they have problems as well, but the main difference for us is the way they handled them vs. Carnival.

Hey Costpenn -- I'm still around (I don't get run off that easily, ha!). I saw your post on the thread I started and replied to it. I then looked you up to see if you had given any reviews, and found this post. BTW - thanks for the kind words - we had fun meeting you and Sheri and hope we see you again!

For all the rest of the fellow cruisers posting here, if you haven't had an opportunity to look at posts on my thread, it seems as though Carnival knew the Ecstasy was having problems even on the cruise just before ours! Then....I read today that the cruise that left the night we got back NEVER even made it to Cozumel. They broke down somewhere off the coast of the Yucatan peninsula and creeped back to Galveston just like they did with us. Those poor people were set sail on a ship that Carnival KNEW wasn't fully repaired. They paid for and expected to receive 2 ports-of-call and got NOTHING! That really stinks! Now, to stir things up a bit, how about all of you pro-Carnival fans?? How do explain away Carnival's handling of this situation? Do you chalk it up to "Sure, everything's not always perfect."? I'm curious now.

P.S. Sorry Joe -- just couldn't help myself!

Now, to stir things up a bit, how about all of you pro-Carnival fans?? How do explain away Carnival's handling of this situation? Do you chalk it up to "Sure, everything's not always perfect."? I'm curious now.

P.S. Sorry Joe -- just couldn't help myself!

Sorry, can't help myself either. If you read the other threads and the news reports, Carnival told them by letter of the situation BEFORE they left Galveston, offered them a full refund to cancel OR 50% off sailing, 25% off future cruise AND $40 onboard credit, with the understanding that they may NOT reach any ports. Those pax who chose to continue on the cruise knew it may be a cruise to nowhere and almost ended up with a free cruise - and still had the benefits of being at sea, the food, the entertainment, the service etc. I think Carnival handled it very nicely.

I disagree, I experienced the chaos. You can see from the letter going to the next cruise that they have a much clearer setting of expectations - not the"unlikely possibility of a cruise to nowhere ..." and "we are optimistic about completing the work .." and the "we will now arrive in Cozumel at about 3PM..". Also it was sent early and not at the time of boarding at 10:30 PM so people have time to consider their options. For the few of us who took full refunds, Carnival is not covering travel costs, hotel, 50$ parking. It is hard for me to see how Carnival handled this well. I think that most of the other 2500 pax will also feel the same.

Archived