Question about the Liquor Policy on board....

Boarcephus

Check around for plastic bottles. We took vodka and rum with us last trip. We packed them in our suitcases and each bottle was double bagged in ziplock bags. They make really big ziploc bags now! We went unlocked the suitcases for the security checker, then locked them back after he inspected them. We flew acroos the country and they never batted an eye at the cruise port. We bought lots of booze on the ship becuz it was so cheap. On the Customs form I declared "alcohol" and its dollar value; It didn't ask how many bottles. The customs officer has never opened my bag or questioned it further. We've done that about 3 times now.

And, has been established time and again, the folks at Princess do indeed read these boards. All these boasts about bringing a whole luggage store onboard may someday lead to my not being able to schlep my bottle or two of wine onto the ship.

You guys have been a huge help and Shepp, your point is well taken.

Never been to Alaska and never cruised with Princess but am looking forward to both. Here's to a great time a great experience.

Heck, if some of you heathens plan on being on board the Diamond Princess in June, flag me down and I'll offer you a Jack Daniel's and Coke. Easy to recognize....probably the only one on board with a Razorback cap on! :D

We just sailed on the Emerald and packed a fifth of Bacardi and Smirnoff in our checked bags very well wrapped and centered in the bags - they come in plastic bottles now. NO problems whatsoever. We also carried on 8 bottles of wine and champ. No problems there either. Didn't even drink the champ and checked it in our bag from Ft. Laud to Seattle and viola! - it's still intact. Will probably explode when we open it, but hey, we got it home! :D

After looking at the options, I think what I'll do is buy a couple 32 oz Rum Runners, fill then with Jack Daniels I'll pick up in Vancouver, stuff them in my luggage and take my chances that way. Does that sound like a pretty workable plan? Pretty safe? Base on what some on here have said, I sense Princess almost looks the other way when done this way.

You might want to check out Bourbon prices at our liquor stores in BC as compared to yours. We're kind of pricey up here what with all our taxes. :D The link is a search I did for Bourbon. For some weird reason, Jack does not show up although I know they carry it 'cause I buy it on occasion -- for my Jack and Coke pals of course. :)

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue#keyword%3D%20Bourbon%26type%3DSpirits%26view%3Dlist%26perPage%3D

HTH

After looking at the options, I think what I'll do is buy a couple 32 oz Rum Runners, fill then with Jack Daniels I'll pick up in Vancouver, stuff them in my luggage and take my chances that way. Does that sound like a pretty workable plan? Pretty safe? Base on what some on here have said, I sense Princess almost looks the other way when done this way.

RMorningglory, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm hardly a card carrying member of AA but I like to have a toddy on vacation. We've got a cabin with a balcony and plan on seeing most of Alaska from there when we're on board. I'm just not interested in dropping $500 on a bar tab, which like you said, is not all that hard to do for a couple people.

Appreciate all input.

It worked for me, should work for you. The rumrunners are sturdy. I had no problem. Too bad one of the glass bottles from an island we schlepped back broke. The way it was wrapped, there was limited collateral damage. But we'll likely buy those winediapers next time.

You might want to check out Bourbon prices at our liquor stores in BC as compared to yours. We're kind of pricey up here what with all our taxes. :D The link is a search I did for Bourbon. For some weird reason, Jack does not show up although I know they carry it 'cause I buy it on occasion -- for my Jack and Coke pals of course. :)

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue#keyword%3D%20Bourbon%26type%3DSpirits%26view%3Dlist%26perPage%3D

HTH

Haven't really thought about the pricing. Out of curiosity, what does a half gallon of Jack Daniels cost in Vancouver? Can you buy it at the airport? We're spending the night in Vancouver the night before and my brother, his wife, me and mine plan on hitting the town before we set sail the next day. Are liquor stores fairly prevalent around town? Hate to say it but I've never been to Canada and have no idea how it works up there.

You could buy your bottles of Jack Daniel from the duty free store at the airport you are flying out of from the United States. You will just be limited to the quantity that they allow you to take. Or there are lots of liquor stores in Vancouver and they are easy to identify. We have come a long way here in

Canada and I would say that our liquor stores are pretty normal looking. They no longer look like igloos!:D

RMorningglory, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm hardly a card carrying member of AA but I like to have a toddy on vacation. We've got a cabin with a balcony and plan on seeing most of Alaska from there when we're on board. I'm just not interested in dropping $500 on a bar tab, which like you said, is not all that hard to do for a couple people.

Appreciate all input.

I would skip the rumrunners and just use .5 liter plastic water bottles since they are free and much stronger.

I have used for several years with no problems.

Mike:)

No they are not as strong as the Rum Runners. .5 bottles are too rigid.

Jilly:)

There might a reason for that. Try standing on or crushing one of your rum runner bags when full and tell me which one is the stronger.

If plastic bags were stronger then water would be shipped that way.

Mike:p

Archived