Keeping in touch on Sprint Cell phones- not too expensive afterall

jaredsdad

I read the posts of the people that return to an $800 cell phone. I have Sprint and am going on Carnival this week!! I run several businesses and on occassion need to be consulted on issues by my staff or tenants or whomever. I have always done the internet cafe and checked 2 times per day. Its just the price I pay for the work I do.

I had thought about putting a message at home, work, and on cell to call one of my trusted managers and if something really needed my attention to call the ship at just $3 a minute.

But after 15 texts and 4 phone calls while we were packing my wife just looked at me and said "figure out how to take this with you at sea.. it might be expensive not to." So I went to Sprint website and found out you have to call to activate international roaming, which I did. And calls at sea are $3 a minute. So same as to your room but more direct cause people dont have to call your manager and get info relayed, they just call your cell. True, no screening but it is easy.

Now the kicker. On most carnival ships there is no data for Sprint at least. But just for fun I am shutting that service off on my blackberry so I dont get anything extra charged or downloaded while in port. The fun thing is this: texts are only 5 cents to retrieve, and 50 cents to send. According to Sprint.com So I have told my staff if they need me just text me. I'll decide whether to email them, call them or text them back depending upon what they need. And I will check my phone just 3 times per day as I am on vacation!

So a nickle here, a nickle there... I can leave, communicate cheap if the needs arise, get away but never worry that something major can not be addressed if needs be. A nickle a text.

Hi there! You can have international roaming added to your BBRY (provided its a Tour or other INTL BBRY) for only $4.00 a month. You then get a much discounted rate when you do call.

Unlim intl text are just 10.00.

NOW -- your Blackberry Messenger WILL work everywhere, and there is no charge for it :)

try sprint dot com slash international

Sorry for the knowledge gush, I work for Sprint and am taking an international blackberry on the Magic next month!

You mean I can use my Sprint phone and not get a charge from the ship too. I had the international roaming turned on and know about the texing. I have to be able to keep in touch with husband and grandsons so I can relax and enjoy myself.

Sprint website says $2.99 per minute for voice calls in or out and texts are 50 cent to send and 5 cent to receive. Most people go on a cruise to get away from everything. Some of us have to have some form of communications for the work we do or family situations. Getting a daily text from a few key people in my life is worth the 5 cents. suppose to be no more extra fees... perhaps someone getting back and getting their bill can tell us.

LEaving today for Saturday's facisnation. Dont worry, the phone stays in the safe most of the time. I am on vacation afteralll...just need a few bits of info each day so I have to take my phone.

Glad you reminded me to put the phone in the safe and just check it a few times a day. I am going on the cruise to get away but what kind of grandmother would I be if I didn't at least check on the grandsons. Husband can take care of his self.

Archived