Dawn Advice please !

Rollingstone43

My wife and I had a great time on the Epic earlier this year. For a variety of reasons we are considering the Southern Caribbean on the Dawn next year. I have trawled through a few reviews but would appreciate some honest thoughts on the main differences.....

Obviously we need to scale down our expectations but are there any specific considerations that we need to take account of ? Is there plenty of deck space during at sea days ? (we took advantage of POSH on the Epic). Is the entertainment OK ? I understand the ship is being refurbished later this year - is that right ?

Look, I know nothing abiout the Dawn other than what I've read on thsi iste - so any little titbits of info would be really helpful - thanks !:D

first of all, i never been on the Epic but i can tell you one thing, don't even think about going on the Dawn before the drydock and even after ill would be nervous. Wit that being said, i will not sail NCL again. We have been on the Dawn on 11th Feb to 20th Feb, we had many problems, i dont want to look like i want to complain but there is just something that they can't just go overlooked. It my opinion.

first of all, i never been on the Epic but i can tell you one thing, don't even think about going on the Dawn before the drydock and even after ill would be nervous. Wit that being said, i will not sail NCL again. We have been on the Dawn on 11th Feb to 20th Feb, we had many problems, i dont want to look like i want to complain but there is just something that they can't just go overlooked. It my opinion.

For not wanting "to look like I want to complain", your post is nothing but.

PE

My wife and I had a great time on the Epic earlier this year. For a variety of reasons we are considering the Southern Caribbean on the Dawn next year. I have trawled through a few reviews but would appreciate some honest thoughts on the main differences.....

Obviously we need to scale down our expectations but are there any specific considerations that we need to take account of ? Is there plenty of deck space during at sea days ? (we took advantage of POSH on the Epic). Is the entertainment OK ? I understand the ship is being refurbished later this year - is that right ?

Look, I know nothing abiout the Dawn other than what I've read on thsi iste - so any little titbits of info would be really helpful - thanks !:D

Why do you feel like you need to scale down your expectations? The Dawn is a great ship with an equally great crew. Sge is also going throug a very intense dry dock refurbishment along with the addition of some new cabins.

There is plenty of deck space for sea days although you will have to deal with the typical gathering of chair hogs.

If you any specific questions ask away and they will be answered.

PE

We sailed on the Feb 20th cruise on the Dawn. I know they had engine problems on the Feb 11th cruise.

We had a fabulous time. The crew was friendly and attentive. I loved the ship. Will sail the Epic next. Sorry you had a bad experience. Don't know why 'after dry dock' there would still be a problem. Oh well....to each his own.

We sailed on the Feb 20th cruise on the Dawn. I know they had engine problems on the Feb 11th cruise.

We had a fabulous time. The crew was friendly and attentive. I loved the ship. Will sail the Epic next. Sorry you had a bad experience. Don't know why 'after dry dock' there would still be a problem. Oh well....to each his own.

Some folks are just Shipcists.

Thanks guys - certainly more positive than negative ! In talking about "scaling down" I was purely referring to size, which you have to when you talk about the Epic !.....I have no doubt that this ship will give us just a great an experience !

I'm particularly heartened to see that people who have done both prefer the Dawn.

As a Brit (oh yes) can I ask someone to confirm the mid-term break dates so that I can avoid them please ?

Thanks guys - certainly more positive than negative ! In talking about "scaling down" I was purely referring to size, which you have to when you talk about the Epic !.....I have no doubt that this ship will give us just a great an experience !

I'm particularly heartened to see that people who have done both prefer the Dawn.

As a Brit (oh yes) can I ask someone to confirm the mid-term break dates so that I can avoid them please ?

February school breaks in New England: 3rd and 4th week of February. College spring break: any week in March.

Plus possible school break around Easter.

Two weeks after Christmas.

I think the Dawn is a great size ship, as is her sister the Star. We were on the much talked about Feb 11-20, 2011 cruise and had a great time - even with the itinerary changes. The crew was great and we enjoyed the trip. There are many people around that will tell you in a heartbeat that the Dawn is their favorite ship.

We did the Dawn Jan 28th to Feb 5th and had a great time, so much so I came home and was rebooked on her for next year within a week.

The crew was wonderful and the ship although showing some wear and tear was great. Cant wait to see her next year with the changes.

I guess we were out of luck, but i do agree about the size its just perfect that why we booked on the RCI explorer of the seas epic,ccl dream and RCI oasis of the seas are just too big imo. To be honest i disliked more the cruise line itself than the ship even though they were few bucket collecting water here and there plus we had a fire in the middle of the night!

Looking for "great" and the cost of "good" for a late fall sailing between Quebec City and Tampa October 2012. We were looking at a balcony cabin, but realized the time of year was not a great opportunity to use the balcony a whole lot..so decided to look at unobstructed ocean view.

(we won't save any money..we'll just spend it elswhere). I can't find any reviews on this type of cabin..I find the odd comment with regard to either a picture window or a porthole... if anyone has any help for us, it would be much appreciated.

I've never been on the Dawn, but in one week from today, it will be my home for 10 days. This is my 3rd cruise total, so consider me a virgin compared to most of you seasoned veterans. But before each of my previous crusises I read a ton of reviews on the cruise I'm about to take. Afterwards, I wonder why people in their right mind would give a cruise a negative review. Its almost like some peoples main objective on a cruise is to critique their vacation to death, rather than enjoy it. Nowhere else, on any other type of vacation, have I ever been treated as well as I have been on a cruise ship. Try and get the same type of service from any land-side vacation. And talk about the same food everyday, hello all-inclusive. At least cruises serve american food, instead of some sort of Mexican garbage fit for a dog. I give credit to the cruise staff for all of its hard work and long hours. I see the same staff members working well into the night, that I see working before the sun comes up each morning as I stroll along the decks in the pre-dawn. Keeping a couple thousand passangers happy at all times is a huge job that I believe is done very well.

Ditto Reaperman;

We are booked on the Dawn for an 11 night cruise in November and we can hardly wait to stroll the decks, have a drink, and let the oceans float by and by.

We've cruised a fair bit and and most of our cruises if not all, were absolutely wonderful. One would think we would be used to cruising by now but the thought of the oceans, the ship, the crew, it's always magical.

Have a wonderful cruise Reaperman!

PS. Don't forget to write

Just reading another thread about ice cream on NCL ships. Someone asked what is served on the Dawn and no one answered as of now . . . Is there a soft serve machine? Regular scoops? Fixings? Where? Hours?

Ice cream always makes a cruise a special experience! I can't wait to hear what all of you have to say about this treat on the Dawn . . . will be there soon, just after dry dock. :):):)

Archived