If U could only pick 1 port to snorkel, which?

rkmom

We are going to be on the Miracle in July, and are trying to decide where to snorkel vs. doing other shore excursions. We want to snorkel, but not at each port, want to see some other things, too. we have only snorkeled a few times, so no experts. We have not been to any of these places. so , what do you veterans recommend? Grand Cayman, Cozumel, costa Maya, Belize?

I really appreciate any advice! KL

I've been to Cozumel three times and it's quick,easy and cheap to take a taxi ($7 one way/cab) to Dzul Ha beach club(5-10 minutes from Pueto Maya pier). The snorkling is great starting 20 feet off the shore!! Do you have your own equip.? They rent it right there or try renting equip. from your ship for the whole week. Go to cozumelmycozumel.com for a great site with info/forums.I'm very comfortable snorkling there but I feel safer(when I get tired) using a snorkle vest due to the current that flows thru the channel.

We just returned from our 1st trip to Georgetowm,GC and did the snorkle/swim with the stingrays using Sotoscruises.com for $30 ea for a 2 hr. trip that was fantastic.There was also snorkling available just to the right of the tender dock at Paradise restaurant/Eden rock, a 3 minute walk from the dock. Try caymanactivityguide.com for great info. Billy

Does it really have to be only 1 port for snorkeling?

Here is how I'd rank them without having been to Belize, yet.

1. Tie between Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Both offer some really good snorkeling sites. In Cozumel go to the free Dzul Ha by taxi, rent gear there if you need to and be nice and buy some food/drinks while you are there. In GCM you can snorkel at Eden rock just a couple of blocks to the right of where the tenders dock. There are 2 dive shops on-site if you need to rent gear. It is free here as well. There are better places to snorkel in GCM, but Eden rock is the easiest to do. If you want to do stingray city, then GCM would be first, but I hardly consider that snorkeling since you can just stand in waist deep water to interact with the stingrays. In any case, make your own arrangements.

2. Shore excursions in Belize are probably a little more effort to arrange, so here I'd be tempted to go with the ship's excursion.

3. Costa Maya because while the snorkeling might be good here too, a trip to the little town, Mahahual, directly to the south of the cruise line built port facilities is a great way to spend the day. Take a taxi there and hang out on the beach for the day. Mmmmm Conch Ceveche.

We've done these ports on the Inspiration (when it sailed 7 day western carribean). My opinion:

1st choice: Cozumel (Chankanaab park)

2nd choice: Grand Cayman (Eden Rock)

Costa Maya is not a snorkeling spot.

Was not impressed with Belize - Goff's Caye excursion. The water was clearer and we saw more fish in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

I've snorkeled all of those places... the best trip we had was on Grand Cayman. We used a snorkel company that picked us up on the dock, took us to their boat and we went to 3 different sites, one was on the sandbar so we could swim with the stingrays as well as snorkel. It was a good deal at approx. 25.00 per person. The name of the company was Soto and they do have a web site:

http://sotoscruises.com/index.shtml

Have a great time!

Both Cayman and Cozumel were great for snorkeling. We went with Nativeway for $25 per person in Cayman, swam with stingrays and then went to second snorkel spot. My teen's loved this trip the rays were beautiful and the crew was very informative and held a ray for us to touch and hold if we wished. In Cozumel we went to Chankaaub (sp) park by taxi and snorkeled, it also was fun. What would you do if you don't snorkel? Which spot has better alternatives that would determine which area I'd snorkel.

You can get great deals shopping in Cozumel they will barter with you .

Belize is the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world (Australia is first). I've snorkeled all over the world and Belize is great. If you can go to Shark Ray Alley (nurse sharks), do it. We booked through the cruise ship. Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel is also good. You can take a taxi there for about $6 or $7 right from the ship. I have my own equipment, but I think you can rent there. It would be much cheaper. Haven't been to Grand Cayman or Costa Maya yet.

True, Costa Maya itself does not offer much snorkeling, but the little town just south Mahahual - offers some great spots. I think all require a short boat ride to the reef.

Open water snorkeling quality does depend on weather, but the coral/fish varieties are certainly there....and have yet to be overwhelmed by daily tourists.

We enjoyed our day there last week with costamayaexcursions. Only 8 people, good guide, good visibility, just abit of chop on the water breaking at the reef's edge. Saw many angels, butterflies, parrots, etc. But also a lobster, 2' puffer, school of squid, school of cuddlefish, some large brain formations, nice large fans, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I would snorkel in GC or Coz. We rented a golf cart in Costa Maya and had the best time relaxing on the beach in Mahahual (sp?). There are a lot of little beachside bars with lounge chairs and massage tables right on the beach. If you roam around the town it is like stepping back in time. DH went with the waiter into the local grocery store to buy film and will never forget it! Very relaxing and would do it again. We are trying to decide between Coz. and GC for a snorkel trip in June--thanks to everyone for the info!

Lynn

I would choose Grand Cayman, then Cozumel. Actually the best snorkeling our last trip was at the state park in Playa Tortugas in Cancun. I was really surprised at that. Best ever -Brewer's Bay on Tortola!

You really have time to do both in most ports. In Cozumel we shopped then snorkeled and still had time for last minute shopping. In Grand Caymen I have done Eden Rock and then 7mile beach once and the second time the sting rays and a stop at the reef. Both excellent!

I am cruising on May 1st and I would reccommend not missing Belize, Cayman and Cozumel.

In Belize, I have been doing research and found that Coral Breeze has received some great reviews. We have decided to book with them. Visit their website coralbreezelimited.com and check out their snorkel trip. They charge $69.00 for this 5 hour tour:

1. Site Seeing along Belize's many beautiful cayes (islands)
  2. Snorkeling at Belize's World Famous "Shark - Ray Alley"
  3. Snorkeling at "Coral Gardens" along the Barrier Reef
  4. Beach-bumming and Swimming at the World Famous "Split" on Caye Caulker
  5. Lunch at a restaurant on Caye Caulker (if lunch option selected)
  6. Shopping, beach bumming and Sightseeing on Caye Caulker

The cruise ship charges $62 and up for this 3.5 hour tour:

Take a short transfer to the Marine Ecology Conservation Island of Spanish Lookout.

• Participate in an orientation of the island’s facilities.
  • Board a modern state of the art Pro 51’ Island Hopper snorkeling boat.
  • Get expert instruction in the use of your snorkel gear.
  • Head for the largest barrier reef in the western hemisphere and Sergeant’s Caye.
  • Enjoy over 60 minutes of snorkel time and sunshine before returning to the cruise ship.

Here is the other one from the cruise ship:

• Board your snorkel boat directly from the ship, and an approximate 25-minute ride will take you to this remote caye, 12 miles east of Belize and about the size of a football field.
  • Collect your snorkel gear and you will have the option to snorkel from the beautiful beach or directly off of your snorkel boat.
  • Enjoy the abundant reef life, great coral formations and crystal clear waters. Find your island paradise at Goff’s Caye!

I hope this helps with Belize!

The last time I was there, we dove it and there wasn't too much to see (could have been the location-a lot of dead coral due to tropical storms :confused: ). This trip we are snorkeling with the stingrays. It should be a memorable time. I am looking forward to it. We are taking our 1 year old.

We dove Cozumel as well. Absolutely the best experience ever! The water there is unlike any water I have ever seen. I haven't snorkeled it, but if the diving was awesome, then I can only imagine that the snorkeling would be just as grand.

Yes, it is true that cruising is a time for relaxation, but I would take advantage of the different ports as much as you can. You can always relax during the days at sea, that is what we did :cool: .

I've been to each port several times and have snorkeled all of them. Grand Cayman is nice. In fact, you can walk off the tender and make a right and find a little restaurant that "used to rent" snorkel gear. There's a cutaway in the seawall by the restaurant which you can walk into the water. There were so many beautiful fish there. It was my first snorkel experience in the Caribbean. Cozumel used to have great snorkeling off the "Fury" catamaran. I've done the trip off the ship from 3 different ships. The first time we snorkeled pretty far out at sea over a coral reef then went to a "private" beach to snorkel and drink. However, the last two times we went, the catamaran just took us off the main street in Cozumel to snorkel then to the beach. You could get the same experience just by walking off the main street and going in the water. Belize was the best. A snorkel boat picked us up as a tender from the ship. We took about a 30 minute ride to a small island (approx. 120 feet long by 40 feet wide). We snorkeled off the boat and it was great. A nice coral reef with a lot of fish. However, if you want an inexpensive snorkeling experience, try Coki Beach in St. Thomas. A short cab ride from the pier. Walk in the very calm water and you see a lot of marine life about 30 foot from shore in waist deep water. Have a ball either way.

Rich M

Of these I have only been to Belize so far, it was amazing. Unfortunately it wasn't on a cruise. We snorkeled in several areas near Ambergris caye including Hol Chan reserve and shark-ray alley. It was the bes snorkeling we have ever done. So I immaginge the snorkel tours the ship offers to Caye Caulker are just as good. We say, moray eels, spotted eagle rays, nurse sharks, sting rays, large harpon?, barracuda, lobster, reef crabs, puffer fish, and dons of other fish and beautiful coral. Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Archived