Best Beach with the most sea glass

gotravlen

I have been to Barbados before and found tons of sea glass at Paynes Bay. I was wanting to go to Lobster Alive/Carlisle Beach this time and was wondering if they also had alot of sea glass? If not which beach on the island has the most sea glass?

Thanks in advance!

I don't want to sound dumb, but what is sea glass?

Basically, it's old bottles and whatnot, smashed to smaller pieces and sanded down with time. Local artisans make jewelry and other trinkets with them as a centerpiece. Blue and red are considered to be the most precious, as they are rare.

• 1 month later...
I don't want to sound dumb, but what is sea glass?

My DH did not rteally know what it was until last cruise I was looking for it during a beach stop successfully finding it, he then got caught up in the quest and now asks when we go to a port--do they have sea glass at the beach? So sea glass hunting can become an addiction!

I love being able to collect soveniers that are really meaningful, bring back memories and hope to get it made into jewelry soon.

This is probably a dumb question, do you need to wear shoes when you go to a beach with sea glass?

Nothing is dumb-- I would wear beach shoes or sandlas as I would at any beach. True sea glas is pretty smooth and most "nice pieces" are about size of an eraser to nickel or so and rounded edges. Smaller tiny bits are also found. It is the fresh glass that people drop (liter) and more of the rocks,coral in sand that are sharp to step on. Nothing really different than you'd expect at a beach for shelling- it just happens to have an area that people once threw glass into the ocean and current and waves create smooth pieces for us collectors. You have probably unknowingly been to a beach that had sea glass in it and never noticed. It takes some looking and will find the green glass first as easiest to spot. Blue & red are treasured as much harder to find.

Sea glass collected at a cruise stop--note-not all is jewelry worthy, but fun to collect and later display.

2753572640103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

I saw this thread title and am compelled to tell my story...

I went to St. Croix for a week about 5 years ago and quickly discovered sea glass... what it was and more importantly, where to find it. Green was pretty common as everyone on the island drank Heineken but I was hot for that beautiful blue color. I had my husband drive me daily to every beach we could find on the island for the next 5 days searching searching for that elusive blue. I had only managed to collect about 5 pieces of the blue beach glass. I was watching him check out at the reception desk of the hotel and I looked down... there, in a huge 3 foot clay pot holding up a baby palm tree in lobby, was hundreds of pieces of blue sea glass. It was like winning the lottery. I think I actually had a body spasm. I must've grabbed about 3 huge overflowing handfuls and stuffed it in my pockets in hopes I wouldn't be seen. I was so excited and still chuckle about how much time I spent on the beach when the glass was right under my nose all the time...

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this thread title and am compelled to tell my story...

I went to St. Croix for a week about 5 years ago and quickly discovered sea glass... what it was and more importantly, where to find it. Green was pretty common as everyone on the island drank Heineken but I was hot for that beautiful blue color. I had my husband drive me daily to every beach we could find on the island for the next 5 days searching searching for that elusive blue. I had only managed to collect about 5 pieces of the blue beach glass. I was watching him check out at the reception desk of the hotel and I looked down... there, in a huge 3 foot clay pot holding up a baby palm tree in lobby, was hundreds of pieces of blue sea glass. It was like winning the lottery. I think I actually had a body spasm. I must've grabbed about 3 huge overflowing handfuls and stuffed it in my pockets in hopes I wouldn't be seen. I was so excited and still chuckle about how much time I spent on the beach when the glass was right under my nose all the time...

Love that story..but I bet your five pieces are more cherished?

I too was just at zoo and a fountain for plants had blue glass in it--but none were rounded or rough/pitted-just flat jagged so very happy with my few blue pieces we did find. Next time I think I may bring a big holded colander--I tried a kids sand sifter to no avail--

I still have my peices in ziplocs by color and island--eventually will make something with it. Knowing the history and memories makes it all the more "valuable".

• 3 weeks later...
This is probably a dumb question, do you need to wear shoes when you go to a beach with sea glass?

To add to what Buffettfan 225 already said... on one hand, there is debris, and you would want to protect your feet; on another, a lot of glass will be just a few feet off shore. I always bring easy slip on slip off shoes, a towel, and an extra pair of socks for the way back =)

• 3 months later...

Archived