cant decide.. cave tubing or caye caulker?

imsailinaway

:confused:Ok so I thought that I had my mind made up and decided on going through bz for cave tubing but then seen some post about caye caulker. So I googled it and seen beautiful pictures! and now I cant decided.:eek:

I seen that you can get to caye caulker through the water taxi, does anyone know the cost?

in your best opinion, what is better. we will be there the first week of may. we are on the carnival legend. Im sooo excited but just ccant make a damn decision! :eek:

There is no right or wrong choice. Both are very good options, and both are very unique to Belize.

If you use a water taxi to Caye Caulker, it will be a cheaper day. The trip by water taxi is 45 minutes each way. There are two companies that operate water taxis. San Pedro Express is right outside the port area and charges US$20 pp roundtrip. To get there, just walk out the gate, turn left, and follow the fence line. You can't miss it. The other company is Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association. They charge US$17.50 pp round trip. To reach them, just turn left and walk down the street for 5 minutes or so. They are right before the swing bridge on the left side. If you get to the swing bridge, turn around and walk back about 25 feet. Both companies charge US$10 pp for a one way ticket, so you might want to consider getting one way tickets, which will allow you greater flexibility on return times. Please note that they use different docks in Caye Caulker so don't be standing on the wrong dock if you are planning on catching the last water taxi back.

You could find pictures of both Caye Caulker and cave tubing at Jaguar Paw on my website here:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/belize

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends what you want for your day. We did cavetubing last week with .bz. I loved it, but it was a long, involved day. There was the hour busride, the major potholes, the 30 minute hike, and then the float down the river. Then everything in reverse. We left the ship at 8:30 and didn't return until 3:30. I was really looking forward to cave tubing, and was glad we did it, but to be honest, there were so many people in the caves, it was a bit like being in "Pirates of the Caribbean" at Disneyland.

If you're looking for a relaxing day, this definitely isn't it! But like I said, I'm glad we did it. We had snorkeling and beach stops at other ports.

Also consider Major Tom for cavetubbing. We used him for our trip to Belize and he was FANTASTIC!!! I was a little afraid about taking my son in the caves at 7 but he reassured me of the safety precautions him and his guides used and he was right. I feld very comfortable on the trip and had a wonderul time!!!

Here is his info

www dot cave-tubbing dot net

I am not sure about the water taxi thing, but Caye Caulker is great. We took an excursion this month that was AMAZING! We booked it through Hammerhead Water Sports and we met our excursion right at the pier terminal. Our boat left from the terminal in front of the Wet Lizard, and headed out to Caye Caulker. The first part of the tour was the snorkel adventure and it was AWESOME! We have done several snorkel tours in different ports, but this was by far the most amazing. Think...Finding Nemo multiplied by about 100. We saw everything from cowfish to a moray eel. The reef was just beautiful, and there were several guides in the water with us. Then we went to the sandbar to swim with the stingrays and nurse sharks. This was very cool. They started coming towards us when they heard the boat, and were very eager to see us. Then we went over to Caye Caulker for lunch and some time on our own. The small island was great. I would do this tour again if we ever go back to Belize. We were a little nervous because people had told us horror stories about Belize and we had read some things that made us nervous. My husband and I loved every minute of our day, and our tour leaders made sure that we made it back to the port terminal with enough time to do some shopping and get some beer before tendering back to the ship.

Archived