Back carrier for toddler

starshine214

does anyone have any recommendations for a soft-structured back carrier for a 15 month old? i wanted to get one for our cruise, as i think it will be easier than dealing with a stroller and elevators. i am looking at an Ergo and a Boba. any feedback would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I have heard good things about both the Ergo and the Boba. I used (and LOVED) a Beco Butterfly for my DD. It has an internal harness so it was very easy to do a back carry on my own without needing anything to prop a foot on or someone else supporting her. Now that she is 3.5 (and recently outgrew the Beco) I use a Kinderpack, but those are harder to come by.

And yes, IMO, it was much easier to deal with on the cruise and in ports than a stroller. I plan to bring it on our next cruise (Alaska in August) as well.

I'd probably go for an Ergo, Boba, or Oh Snap.

We have an Ergo Performance that's wonderfully lightweight and breathable in the heat, but I do not like it for a back carry; it just isn't comfortable for me at all. Something about the shaping of the Ergo's straps just doesn't work for my body for a back carry (but it's great for a front carry - go figure!).

I've tried back carries of our 8 month old in both a Boba and an Oh Snap and much preferred both of them for a back carry. Most of my friends with bigger babies and toddlers have the Boba and prefer it to the Ergo for that age/stage. I would recommend trying a bunch of carriers in person if you can, ideally with your child.

I only use my Baby Hawk mei tai for back carries. Actually now that the weather is getting nicer I almost exclusively use the mei tai, and DH uses the Ergo. Once she's bigger/older and is on the back more I may pick up a Boba for my use; I liked it that much.

Thanks for the input! I wish the carriers weren't so expensive. I like the Boba because it seems like the back is higher and gives better support.

DS is about 21 lbs so he isn't really a big kid. DH is 5'11' and would probably do most of the carrying. We are going on a caribbean cruise in May so I'm sure it is going to be HOT.

Anyone know where to get good websites to get discounted carriers?

I've bought and sold carriers on Ebay but also on http://www.diaperswappers.com You have to register at diaperswappers but then you can buy and sell on their forums. There is a section on babywearing as well as a dedicated area for buying/selling/trading all types of carriers.

I haven't sold on The Baby Wearer site but I think they have a trading forum as well. Regardless, that site has TONS of great info on all types of carriers and vendors. http://www.thebabywearer.com

I used my mai tai for back carries but typically only used a ring sling in a hip carry (Zolowear ring sling - awesome with a big and very useful pocket!). On our last cruise, I even took DD swimming in the sling - she loved it! (It's made from solarveil so is dried crazy fast).

I can count on one hand the number of times we've used a stroller in total for both kids. I just find the slings so much easier for all involved and on a cruise, the last thing I wanted was one more thing to lug on-board and store in our cabin.

I'm on the Babywearer site and I agree that its a great resource if you have any questions on carriers. Their For Sale/trade forum is great if you want to try out any carriers for less than retail prices. As a newbie there though, you can buy but you can't sell unless you have the required time/posts.

When my kiddos were that age I split my time with them between the Ergo and my Mei Tais. The MTs certainly packed down smaller and fit my small body frame better but my Dh liked the buckles and shoulder pads of the Ergo better.

I'm still using it and DS2 is 3yrs and 35 lbs. Sure I paid $90 for it new, but I've had years of use out of it, so I consider it good value for the money. We should get one more year out of it before DS2 hits the 40 lb weight limit. I still find it comfortable to wear with him in it, I also had a Piccolo which became unbearable once he was over 2yrs.

I prefer using the carrier to a stroller. IMHO the stroller is a pain when said child wants to walk instead of being carried, and the umbrella strollers are often a pain to use on the bumpy port roads and sidewalks. Plus I won't get into how rude some people are about cutting in front of you pushing a stroller :confused: You can fold up the Ergo so it fits in a small back pack, and personally I didn't find it too hot to wear, even when we were in St Thomas, St Maartin and the Bahamas in January. Plus if you're travelling by air, you can wear baby right onto the plane, so they're not getting trampled by the crowds.

How long until your cruise? Do you have time to price shop? I really liked the Beco, but found a great deal on an Ergo on babysteals.com. Ergo comes up on babysteals every couple of months or so, I got mine for $57.

You might also look into an Infantino carrier that's a kind of mainstream Mei Tai http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Wrap-Carrier-Black-Blueberries/dp/B0036LMH5Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302491308&sr=8-3 I'm not normally comfortable with Infantino as a brand, but I like this one, and it's very cost-effective. I tend to prefer my Ergo, just because Ergo is easier for me, but if I were deal hunting I'd definitely put this on my list.

FWIW, I'm also planning to bring an umbrella stroller for our cruise (DS will be 20 months). I don't know if you've traveled much with your LO, but I do find that the stroller helps with airport travel, and if you have one with a recline, you may be able to get some nap time in (or be able to stroll around after kiddo's bedtime, walk the promenade, grab a coffee, maybe see a show). I really like Maclarens, and you can often find them on your local craigslist for sub-$100.

I will have to check out The Baby Wearer and some of the other sites. Our cruise is May 8th so we have a little time, but not much. I showed DH the ones I was looking at and he seems to prefer the Ergo Performance. Our DS prefers to be carried, and can only stand the stroller if we are moving at all times. We will be bringing our stroller too. I think a carrier will be best for navigating the ship, especially if we have to wait in line for anything. He is at an age where he wants to be down and walking, but if he is comfy in a carrier close to mom or dad, he is usually ok. We have a front carrier (Jeep brand) but he isn't comfortable in that anymore. I will do some looking around. I don't know about the slings... I think he will be more comfortable in a back carry.

I am still nursing him too and I wonder if that can be done discretely in an Ergo. (Because I'm sure I will get some looks from people for nursing a toddler on the cruise if I don't do it very discretely!)

I am still nursing him too and I wonder if that can be done discretely in an Ergo. (Because I'm sure I will get some looks from people for nursing a toddler on the cruise if I don't do it very discretely!)

I don't have an Ergo Performance, I have the Ergo Sport, but I believe that the principle is the same. You can loosen the shoulder straps a bit and put up the hood to nurse discreetly. There are pics on the Ergo website that are supposed to show this.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about nursing a 15 month old on the cruise. Remember that the crew is almost entirely non-U.S., and a large portion of the passengers are also non-U.S. The normal duration of breastfeeding is 2-5 years, and 2-3 years is very common most everywhere except in the U.S. No one has any basis for challenging your right to nurse your child, the crew is not going to hassle you over it, and if some ignorant passenger gives you the fish eye, just confidently glare right back. Good for you for nursing your child!

i agree with so many of the others, so great recomendations for carriers!! but like they say, its all about personal preference. there are actually a few online stores that have rental programs so you can try out several carriers so you can see what you like before buying http://www.granolababies.com/rent-a-sling/cat_73.html and http://paxbaby.com/zen/paxbabys-sling-exchange-c-44.html?zenid=bbb9a003dde613e6853ebec396f20426 (personally i would recommend the first site over the second).

i do have one more thing to add that i havent seen mentioned yet. would you consider a woven wrap? they are just like a long piece of fabric. there are all different kinds and it can be confusing but there is tons of good info out there. good luck and let us know what you decide!!!!!

I have an ergo which I love, but it does get hot. I also have an angelpack which seems lighter, has a longer body (the ergo tends to be short on my tall guy) and isnt as hot.

I am usually alone when I use my carriers and find getting him onto my back challenging, but it does work and I prefer my angelpack in the heat. They are mildly less expensive than some of my other carriers too.

Good luck.

My husband also prefers the Ergo Performance. We have the grey/blue one and he feels that it looks suitably masculine. ;) We have the sucking pads and love them (our daughter is at the stage where everything gets chewed...).

You can nurse in the Ergo carriers, including the performance. You just loosen the shoulder straps a bit and the napping hood can go up if you want more coverage. I do find it awkward to pull up my outer shirt layer but that's because I don't often wear tops where I'd pull the neckline down to nurse (I usually just layer a nursing tank under a normal shirt). If you have shirts with nursing access at the neckline, that would make it easier to nurse with the kiddo in a carrier just because there's less adjustment of clothing needed.

I've been reassured here that it's highly unlikely that any of the ship's crew will bat an eye at nursing an older baby/toddler (our girl will be just over 10 months when we cruise). As for the passengers, I don't really care if someone wants to object to my discreet public nursing - I feed our kid when and where she needs to eat, period. People see far more skin around the pool deck than they do when I nurse our active little one.

I decided to let DH decide, since I figured he would be doing most of the carrying. I showed him a bunch and he liked the gray Ergo Performance the best. Just ordered it tonight, I can't wait to get it. And I really wish I would have had one months ago!!

Thanks everyone for your input!

And I agree about nursing... I'm not too concerned what others think. And it is only Americans that think extended nursing is weird; in most countries it is definitely the norm!

Archived