Shipwreck Cove Snorkeling?

Riskywood

Has anyone done this tour thru Princess? If possible, I would like to do it but not have to book it thru Princess. We are also going to go to Orient Beach that day but it is my understanding that the snorkeling there isn't very good. Any advice is appreciated.

We did this tour and were not impressed. The "shipwrecks" were small (15'-20') drug running boats that were confiscated and intentionally sunk for tourists. No coral or sponge growth whatsoever. The boats were deep so it would be difficult to dive down for any length of time to view them. The tour has been around long enough so that fish gather around because the tour operators have been feeding them and they are looking for another handout. It was a nice catamaran though.

Save your money.

St. Martin is not known for its snorkeling, but if that what you want to do, I would recommend you go to Pinel Island. You can usually do this either through the ship or on your own.

If you do this through the ship, you get to the island around 8AM, before anyone else arrives and you get the best snorkeling. If you go on your own, have a cab driver drop you off where the water taxi operates out of, by Orient Beach. The water taxi will take you round trip to Pinel Island, about a 10 minute ride, for about $6pp. However, the first taxi doesn't leave until 10AM. In 2003 my wife and I sat around, with several others, for over an hour because we didn't know the taxi time schedule.

After my experience, this is one tour I would do through the ship, just for the better snorkeling. Pinel Island is quite nice too.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I

'92 NCL/Westward

'96 NCL/Seaward

'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas

'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas

'01 Princess/Ocean Princess

'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas

'03 Princess/Sea Princess, back-to-back

'03 Princess/Sea Princess

'04 Hawaii, 2 weeks on land

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

• 2 weeks later...