Keeping personal items safe while snorkeling

cabinetgirl

Don't take anything with you that you absolutly can't live without. Your card from the ship should be the only necessity you have with you and that is eaisly tucked into a bathing suit. All other valuables should be locked in your safe in your cabin. There are dry bags and cases that you can buy to carry necessities in look up your local scuba dive shop they usually carry them. Some beaches have lockers also. Relax and have a great time

Here's what I did. Buy a bathing suit with a good sized pocket. Buy a small dry pak. Put room card and money wrapped in tissue paper into the dry pak.

What about pictures? Bought a Canon D10 waterproof camera with a lanyard attached to use around my neck.

Travel light, or have a member of your group stay on land while others are in the water.

I won't take any expensive camera on the beach. Today, I went to a local dive shop to buy a waterproof case that can hold the ship's card, money, credit card etc. It comes with a lanyard, is bright yellow and totally waterproof. My last one broke after two years of use. The dive shop charged about $6 for it.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for your advice. Have small, nice waterproof camera and will have to bring only what it necessary and carry on our bodies. Was thinking of coverups and towels. Do you leave them on the beach or carry them, also?

As others have explained, I use a small pastic waterproof case for credit card, room key & a small amt of cash. We leave beach towels and cover-ups on the beach while we snorkel. We usually see others from the cruise ship on the beach -- easily identified by their beach towels, so frequently we will ask someone seated nearby to watch our things and that we will return the favor when they go in the water. This plan works even better if there is someone in one of the groups who doesn't snorkel....who is just there to enjoy the beach or read!

Most of the time your personal items will be safe, but I have a friend who had a vey good pair of sandals stolen while she was in the water.

• 3 months later...

I'm happy with my Otterbox (learned about them here on CruiseCritic). Wear it around my neck and keep ship ID and money in it. Still like places that have lockers because I'd like to have my favorite camera with me. Bringing a disposable camera is probably a decent option. Or an older digital camera you don't mind losing. I tend to hold on to older, less megapixel digital cameras in a junk drawer. Just now realized I could be putting them to better use. :-)

But consider putting any memory cards in the waterproof container of choice you bring with you (e.g. an Otterbox). Cameras can be easily replaced. Memories (photos) cannot.

Be careful of those carabiner clips that come with some waterproof pouches. I had clipped a waterproof pouch that came with a belt while snorkeling in Curacao. When I got out of the water, the clip was still there but the pouch went bye bye: Ships card, driver's license, $50. Was able to get onboard easily as they take your picture when you board. A quick visit to the office and we got our cards reissued.

Be careful of those carabiner clips that come with some waterproof pouches. I had clipped a waterproof pouch that came with a belt while snorkeling in Curacao. When I got out of the water, the clip was still there but the pouch went bye bye: Ships card, driver's license, $50. Was able to get onboard easily as they take your picture when you board. A quick visit to the office and we got our cards reissued.

What brand was your pouch? What's a carabiner clip?

I recently bought an underwater fannypack to wear while snorkeling in December.

Thanks

The DL is a real pain in the *** to replace. Some ports, St Thomas for example, require a pix ID for re-entry to the ship.

I had a revelation while typing this. Texas DL offices issue pix ID cards for underage residents. Why not adults, too? Stay tuned. I'm gonna check that out.

I have found the 'lewis n clark' waterproof pouch my perfect solution. In it goes my camera, ship card, paper color copy of my passport (never take the real thing ashore), cash and credit card. I unobtrusively bury the pouch in the sand under my beach chair - and maybe toss my shoes on top haphazardly for effect. So far, so good! And, as others have said, there's almost always someone from your ship you can buddy with to watch your gear and they watch yours. I still bury my pouch and don't tell anyone.:cool:

Archived