Documentation required to board???

One of the people going with us on our cruise next month has a "certificate of citizenship" he was born in Venezuela but is a US Citizen. Carnival's website states they allow "Certificates of Naturalization". I know these are similar documents issued for different reasons.

Is a Certificate of citizenship a sufficient document in conjunction with a Vaild state issued ID?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Do they have a passport? If not, I would get one expedited to be on the safe side. While we have passports, I understand why some people cruise without them. However, if my paperwork wasn't "cut-and-dry", I wouldn't take the change. JMO

If they can't get a passport in time, talk to a Carnival supervisor and get verification. Have them email or mail you something confirming what they will accept and bring that with you. Passport would be my first choice.

From Carnival:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx#q-544391

What is the required travel documentation for all ports?

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION - ALL PORTS

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • Enhanced Tribal Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:

Michigan

New York

Vermont

Washington

British Columbia

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

Your friend may want to contact ZVS and get either the passport or passport card expedited.

A certificate of naturalization is proof of US citizenship. It is as good as a birth certificate. Of course, a passport makes things easier, but the citizenship papers should suffice.

I just copied this from the US State Dept link provided above.

Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents

My birth certificate is a N-560, although I am a US citizen, I was born in Japan. As this document is hard and time consuming to procure from DC, I have always used a passport to travel overseas.

Although I strongly suggest they get a passport. They can use the N-560 as their birth certificate, as long as it has the raised seals on the document.

Archived