Post-cruise plantation visit

2-laner

We will be cruising in Feb. out of New Orleans, driving down from Kansas. On our way home, we would like to visit a plantation or two. I was hoping to get some firsthand reviews from those that have been there. I have read about The Oaks, plus, several over by St. Francisville. My sister is curious about the haunted one - Myrtle, I believe. Any recommendations?

• 1 month later...

I hope this is not too late. I am from New Orleans and have been to all. Oak Alley is only about an hour out of New Orleans in Vacherie, LA. The Myrtles is in St. Francisville, LA which is just north of Baton Rouge. It is about a two hour drive from New Orleans. Both Plantations are said to be haunted. I can tell you that my cousin stayed in the Myrtles about 20 years ago and didn't know it was suppose to be haunted. Her husband woke her up in the middle of the night and said someone was in the room. The next morning at breakfast the waitress described Chloe which was who my cousin's husband saw.

With that being said I prefer Rosedown in St. Francisville over the Myrtles. St. Francisville is a very charming town with shops and quite a few plantations close together. One could spend a few days there.

We do visit Oak Alley often since they have festivals twice a year there. Hope this helps. :)

• 7 months later...

We went to Oak Alley a few yrs ago and really liked it. I would suggest tipping the guide, they volunteer. Speaking from an experience that my wife and I had I agree that it is haunted. Nothing dark.......but certainly interesting.

We ended up moving our cruise up to January and just got back on Monday. But thank you for offering suggestions. :) Because my mom is a huge fan of North and South with Patrick Swayze, we ended up at ********* Plantation up by St. Francisville. We were met at the door by the owner, builder and occupant of the mansion and couldn't have enjoyed a nicer private tour. Being off season and the only people there at the time, I felt like we were given more then the usual time allowed. We were invited into the parlor, asked to sit down and then he brought out pictures, old family records from the original owners and his own very interesting family tree. He told us about all the movies filmed there. Delighted my mom with how inbetween scenes he would sit out on the front porch just talking small talk with Patrick Swayze. "A true southern gentleman" he said. (Didn't care for Carradine AT ALL) We were given all the time we wanted to explore the first 2 floors in the house. He and his wife occupy the upper two floors. Then we spent a lot of time out on the grounds. No hurry.

I was curious, myself, about visiting the Myrtles as was my sister. But, there was no doubt about the fact that this was the perfect choice for my mom. Then we came home and she has already started watching the scenes in the movie that were filmed at the plantation.

Thanks again for replying. :)

We ended up moving our cruise up to January and just got back on Monday. But thank you for offering suggestions. :) Because my mom is a huge fan of North and South with Patrick Swayze, we ended up at ********* Plantation up by St. Francisville. We were met at the door by the owner, builder and occupant of the mansion and couldn't have enjoyed a nicer private tour. Being off season and the only people there at the time, I felt like we were given more then the usual time allowed. We were invited into the parlor, asked to sit down and then he brought out pictures, old family records from the original owners and his own very interesting family tree. He told us about all the movies filmed there. Delighted my mom with how inbetween scenes he would sit out on the front porch just talking small talk with Patrick Swayze. "A true southern gentleman" he said. (Didn't care for Carradine AT ALL) We were given all the time we wanted to explore the first 2 floors in the house. He and his wife occupy the upper two floors. Then we spent a lot of time out on the grounds. No hurry.

I was curious, myself, about visiting the Myrtles as was my sister. But, there was no doubt about the fact that this was the perfect choice for my mom. Then we came home and she has already started watching the scenes in the movie that were filmed at the plantation.

Thanks again for replying. :)

I have no idea why it will not print the name of the plantation we went to. I'll try it again. We went to the ********* Plantation.

I have no idea why it will not print the name of the plantation we went to. I'll try it again. We went to the ********* Plantation.

I give up. (Speaking of haunted - maybe that has something to do with it.) :confused: Well, if it will not let me spell it out, I'll try a different method. The name of the plantation is 2 words put together. The first one is the color of a leaf. And the second one is what a tree trunk is made of. Okay thread, lets see if you block all of this out. :p

Archived