Tampa Hotel AGAIN Hyatt Place or HI Rocky Point

philphi

Sorry to beat a dead horse about Tampa hotels, but...... We have a reservation at the HI rocky point, but am concerned about the area, age of hotel and that there would be nothing around except for that one restaurant everyone talks about. So is Hyatt Place in a better area (more selections of restaurants), they both offer free p/u at airport and free shuttle to the port. Anyone have any feedback, or suggestions of others. We are willing to pay the extra $$ for HP if it is worth it. Please help, packing to leave now.

Thanks

I don't know where your concerns came from about the "area" of the HI Rocky Pt. but to put your mind at ease, it is is an upscale area that overlooks beautiful Tampa Bay. There are a few hotels in that area that include the HI, Hampton, Chase Suites, DoubleTree Suites, Sailport, Best Western Bay View as well as the very nice Westin that has it's own private beach area. I don't know about the age of the HI, but we stayed there a few months ago and it was a lovely hotel. We had a King room on the second floor and the pool area overlooked the bay and it made for a very nice pre-cruise afternoon. As far as restaurants within walking distance to the HI, yes the Bahama Breeze is about it. We had dinner there and it was top-notch. They had an island style band playing out on the deck which made for a nice area the have a cocktail while waiting for our table. The restaurant also overlooks the bay. Just to let you know, the HI provides a free shuttle service anywhere within a 4 mile radius if there is another restaurant you would want to try. I'm certainly not trying to sway you one way or another but just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding you may have had about this hotel or it's area. Personally, I will book this hotel or one in the Rocky Pt area for pre cruise just because it is a very nice, clean upscale area that offers great views of the bay. JMHO.

Here is a link to the HI. It may offer some photos for you to see.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/tampa/tpaap/hoteldetail

Also, here is a link to the International Plaza and it's restaurant choices. This upscale mall is within the 4 mile area for the free HI shuttle service. The mall also offers a very nice wine-tapas bar that includes great wiines that can be purchased by the bottle for the cruise. The name of the Wine Store is The Grape.

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/dining_entertainment

Good luck to you on what ever hotel you may select.

• 1 month later...

For the HI Rocky Pt., there is a SweetBay Grocery and Liquor Store as well as a Walgreens within the 4 miles area. Also, if you walk directly across the street from the hotel there is an upscale apt complex called Post Rocky Point. They have a small neighborhood market that sells pop and water. I believe they sell wine but not 100% sure.

As far as the shuttle going to Channelside to visit the Aquarium, I kind of doubt it as it is out of the 4 mile radius, but it never hurts to ask. A taxi ride from the hotel would probably be $25 each way. :(

Archived