Avoid Jet Ski Companies in Orient Beach area!

justcruising

I understand that your perception is that you were ripped off by a business at Orient Beach. Even though it was seven years ago, you slam all current PWC rental businesses. Even the title of your posting paints them all with the same brush: Avoid Jet Ski Companies in Orient Beach area! Without knowing exactly what happened and the full extent of the damage you caused to the equipment (yes, as the operator, you were responsible) the company you rented from was faced with significant repair (you said "bad accident"). Just as anyone who rents a car on St. Martin, the driver is responsible for damage - therefore most ensure there is adequate insurance for just that reason. Do you feel the company should just absorb the cost of repairs? .

First off, there was never any debate as to who was at fault in the jet ski accident. If you were driving a car, and someone slammed into you, there would be an investigation and that person would be found at fault. If there had been any kind of investigation, and I was still found at fault, then at least I would have some peace of mind that the situation was handled fairly.

Secondly, both the company I rented through and the company through which the other guy rented (i.e. a different company) charged...or rather, grossly overcharged, the cost of repair on the two jet skis.

I'm pretty sure that, if you rented a 1990 Toyota Celica, and were unfortunate enough to get into an accident with it, the rental company would not charge you the price of a brand new car.

Without getting into the whole scenario again, I simply feel as though the jet ski company did not handle the situation in a professional manner. Period!

The title of my post is irrelevant, and to be truthful, I don't care that it bothers some of you.

For those who have chosen to turn this into a huge drama, I'm sure it is easy for you to do so, since this did not happen to you.

The contents of this post contain a personal anecdote, meaning it happened to me and not anyone else (except for the poor guy on that other jet ski!)

After what happened to me, of course I am biased...who wouldn't be?

Just as others on this thread are biased because they own (or have friends who own) jet ski rental companies. You know, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why you guys and gals are so angry about this post. I suppose if the subject of my post was, "Everyone Should Rent a Jet Ski" I would have made a few more friends. But many of you are too childish to simply respond in a calm, mature manner, instead choosing to turn what should have been a simple post into an ambush. As Kevin pointed out, this is not the first time one of you egocentric "bashers" has reared his ugly side.

As far as "slamming" all current PWC Rental Companies in Orient Beach...I think the readers of this post can decide for themselves, and make an informed decision on their own. End of story.

Just as others on this thread are biased because they own (or have friends who own) jet ski rental companies. You know, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why you guys and gals are so angry about this post.

Hey Dude - Chill!

I have MANY friends in St. Maarten. Just because one of them works for a jet ski rental firm doesn't have any bearing on my views of the mindless situations (in this case wreckless use of jet skis) people get themselves into in foreign countries.

IF I had it my way I would ban ALL jet skis from public beaches. I don't like the fumes, the noise or the potential hazards they present to swimmers. The combination of jet skis, parasails and water trampolines certainly does not enhance the charm of a beautiful Caribbean beach.

With further regard to my St. Maarten friend BeBe and his brother Alex, both are Rastafarians (like Bob Marley). Mostly I enjoy listening to their beliefs about vegetarian diet, Rasta religion, views of the world, and cultural importance of "herb" (ie. ganja, wisdom weed, etc). Absolutely fascinating! The fact that he's involved with jet ski rental is irrelevant and has no bearing on my comments about the mess you got yourself into.

IF I had it my way I would ban ALL jet skis from public beaches. I don't like the fumes, the noise or the potential hazards they present to swimmers. The combination of jet skis, parasails and water trampolines certainly does not enhance the charm of a beautiful Caribbean beach.

Personally I also happen to agree with Kal about jetskis. And I don't know anyone who rents them. What I do object to is "fishy" stories about incidents that occurred 7 years ago and now apparently must to be brought to people's attention.

I think the biggest problem here is that the OP slammed ALL jet-ski operators for something that happened 7 years ago! There's more than one jet-ski rental operation on Orient Beach. They may or may not be owned by the same company or person - I don't know and I don't think the OP does either. This also happened 7 long years ago, none of these rental places may be owned by the same company or person that owned them 7 years ago either! Things that happened 7 years ago may not even remotely happen the same way today... 7 years is a LONG time! And just for the record I don't know anyone who has anything to do with jet-skis, nor have I ever rented them. I don't think they even belong at a beach as crowded as Orient.

What I do object to is "fishy" stories about incidents that occurred 7 years ago and now apparently must to be brought to people's attention.

You got me, Zeno! I'm really part of a great big conspiracy to keep tourists away from jet skis, in order to get them to go to Wally World instead!!!

As far as your argument that my story is fishy because it occured so long ago...you bashed my post even before I even mentioned how long ago my accident happened!!!

Ahhh, what's the use? I cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Ahhh, what's the use? I cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Neither can I. It's so hard to understand someone held captive by the jetski mafia of St Martin and forced to provide credit card info.

Neither can I. It's so hard to understand someone held captive by the jetski mafia of St Martin and forced to provide credit card info.

Oh, so that's why you have a problem with my post? You didn't understand it? Next time, I will be sure to use smaller words.

Zeno and others - This guy NEEDS to have the last word. Puleese let it happen as it just doesn't matter.

Justcruising - Have the last word

Then move on.

I'd really like to know when this happened and what the subject was.

In my years on the board I can only recall one other possible incident (about the view from a beach) and I don't have any idea of it was with you. I never understood what my mistake in that case was. If you could refresh my memory I would truly appreciate it.

Feel free to do so via e-mail (in my profile) if you wish, but not necessary.

gary

Sorry I took so long Gary, I don't visit this forum very much.

YOU ARE RIGHT. Please except my deepest and humble apologies for writing a negative accusation about you in public. It was someone else who I was talking about. I must be loosing grey matter faster than I thought. But I will learn to be more careful in the future with such post. When is your next cruise or trip to St. Martin? If I can, I would enjoy buying you a drink.

Kevin

I just feel compelled to speak up here. I am by no means a saavy traveller or an expert on international law, but I would have a hard time giving up $6000 that easily. At the worst the plane fare home or to your next port of call to meet the ship would be pennies compared to that.. If it were me, I would have turned and ran for the hills. If the rental operator were to call the police then you would at least know you weren't being jacked. I think (years from now) your granchildren would enjoy a story of how you spent a night on the run on a tropical island instead of hearing how you wussed out and handed over your college education to some rastifari con artist. but that's just me:cool:

Dudemanjef-- I couldn't agree more. Of course, it's easy for someone who wasn't there to say what they would have done... but hindsight is always 20/20.

In fact, probably a day later, one of my friends said something along the lines of "we should have just kicked their asses and hitched a ride"... some help! This same friend was standing around after I got in the accident, wringing his hands, wondering what to do. He had even offered to put part of the charge on his credit card if mine could not cover it.

At the time, I was probably just happy to be alive... and there was this little voice in the back of my mind that told me I could appeal to my credit card company after the fact for a refund or something. I had gotten my first credit card about two months earlier, just for that trip, so I didn't really know what would happen.

It was an expensive lesson to learn.

OK, Here's my final word on this matter. J.C. was young and dumb and got screwed for it. Take it as a lesson learned and that's life. You don't stop driving cars or bikes because you crashed once, or your mailman's cousin was killed in a crash 10 years ago. Just check it off as 1 of many mistakes we're all gonna make in life, you survived and hopefully learned from it. The best thing to do is Build a bridge and get over it !:rolleyes:

p.s. I'll be on the Golden Princess 5/1 - 5/8 if anyone wants to buy me that drink.:cool:

Archived