Juneau - Taxis available when debarking?

Darr83

We want to get a taxi to the car rental in Juneau (I know we could walk but my husband can only do so much walking in one day so the cab fare is worth it). Will there be taxis readily available when we get off the ship about 7:30 AM, or should I arrange for one to pick us up ahead of time?

Thanks for all your help!

We want to get a taxi to the car rental in Juneau (I know we could walk but my husband can only do so much walking in one day so the cab fare is worth it). Will there be taxis readily available when we get off the ship about 7:30 AM, or should I arrange for one to pick us up ahead of time?

Thanks for all your help!

Juneau is a 24 hour city; it is a state capital. Taxis are available at all times. It would really depend on what dock you're on. It can't hurt to call one once your ship's docked and have it meet you at the ramp.

When we were the first off our ship in Juneau in 2008, I did not see any taxis at the dock. I was very surprised.

The taxi stand is in front of the Red Dog Saloon. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some backdoor wheeling and dealing going on with the tour companies to keep the taxis from lining up beside each dock. Although frankly, traffic is bad enough without adding them to the mix with all the large coaches. Look how the taxi line was eliminated from the glacier parking lot.

Then again, the taxis are always trying to cut out the crewmember shuttles from getting customers, so it all comes back around.

Thanks Everyone! I will definitely call once we dock.

We are only in Juneau from 7 AM- 1:30 PM, not a great deal of time. And the ship's tour to Mendenhall only allows 45 minutes there, so we decided to rent a car, pick it up at 8 AM, and hopefully get to Mendenhall ahead of all the busses, spend two hours there, then come back into town, where I want to go to the Alaskan Fudge Factory and Alaskan Tshirt and Tracy's Crab Shack if we have enough time. Then return the car and have a taxi take us back to the ship.

I really do wish we had more time there, it sounds like an amazing place!

Archived