John Heald is not the answer...

neo-cruiser

I had a bible in my top drawer last time .. so they may have them and not need to bring their own .. but you would think if they were that religious they would own a bible they could bring.

Thats what John replied to her...problem solved. Now all they need is a large enough room for 200+ people twice a day, microphone and speakers. I think the idea of a bible study, if you're into that sort of thing is nice, but those expectations are a little "out there"

Hate when people push their religion on others.

I read that request and I do not see an effort to push the person's religion on others. I think she intends to offer a Bible study. Those who choose to participate will have to fetch the Gideon Bible from their stateroom which is not a big deal at all.

I am religious. I will be on the cruise with this person, I believe. I will not attend her classes. There is a time and a place for everything. IMHO, a cruise ship is a time to kick back, enjoy one's self and get a bit decadent. I really enjoy looking for nicely shaped women sunbathing, watching the dancers in their skimpy costumes and practicing gluttony. My preacher tells me I am not going to hell for this.

Doc

Well....if you think those requests are bad....it reminds me of another thread maybe 6 months ago or so....

A lady was standing in line or near a line at the Pursers desk. She overheard someone griping and moaning about something and offered to help. She called the CD or the asst CD at a late hour....blah blah blah....She wasnt a carnival rep......just someone sho took it upon themselves to try and resolve a problem......

let the OP state an opinion or post something to that affect....lots of posts that way....

must have missed someone pushing religion...

I missed it too... i don't see offering a bible study any different than offering a friends of Bill W meeting on a ship.

Damn those teatotalers pushing their agenda... :rolleyes:

It does sound like they may be planning to prosthelytize, from the post:

We did this with much success on a recent Princess cruise and are now going to be on Carnival spreading the gospel and helping your passengers enjoy their vacations even more.

It does sound like they may be planning to prosthelytize, from the post:
We did this with much success on a recent Princess cruise and are now going to be on Carnival spreading the gospel and helping your passengers enjoy their vacations even more.

Someone on the street asked my SIL when was the last time she thought about Jesus Christ. She replied: Just this morning. I got out of bed and said, JESUS CHRIST!

yes, i saw that.

i'm looking for where someone was pushing religion.

Probably this quote...

That to me is pushing religion.

I'd feel sorry for anyone preaching to me during my cruise.

I'd be polite once.

After that, not so much.

Bill

From what I remember, the woman wanting to do the bible study classes mentioned converting and "spreading the word"...when I read it I couldn't believe it and I couldn't believe John went along with it and offered her the space. Unless it's a chartered cruise, I don't think they should be giving out rooms for bible study or other religious ceremonies/meetings (unless they pay for it). Do it in your own stateroom.

I don't care what John does or does not do, but it astounds me the things people ask him. If you want a nice surprise for your mom, order something from the Bon Voyage department! Geesh.

Evidently you do, or you would not have bothered to start a thread complaining about it.

Complaining! I think you should go back and read what I wrote. There was not even an ounce of complaining, I was merely stating an opinion on some things I read (that they are ridiculous requests). To each his own, I know this thread will not change the fact that people will ask John Heald for some ot-of-this-world things. Just wanted to share, in a public forum, my humble little opinion. No "complaining" here, I don't let these things bother me.

From what I remember, the woman wanting to do the bible study classes mentioned converting and "spreading the word"...when I read it I couldn't believe it and I couldn't believe John went along with it and offered her the space. Unless it's a chartered cruise, I don't think they should be giving out rooms for bible study or other religious ceremonies/meetings (unless they pay for it). Do it in your own stateroom.

I don't care what John does or does not do, but it astounds me the things people ask him. If you want a nice surprise for your mom, order something from the Bon Voyage department! Geesh.

Astonishment is EXACTLY the word

sheesh, would this be an issue if a group of 200 buddhists wanted to have 2 prayer times a day scheduled on a ship?

Again, this is no different than holding AA meetings on board and offering it to anyone on the ship. I'm sure that Carnival would make it clear that solicitation (prostelytizing) is not allowed. So let the church people have their bible studies and if other passengers are into that (I don't find it impossible that out of 3000 people, there aren't a few who would find that appealing, since they'd be missing church at home).

Seems as soon as someone says "Bible" or "Jesus" everyone freaks out.

I personally don't have a problem with people asking John for help or sometimes for freebies only because right now John seems to be enjoying whats hes doing.. I do think he will get burnt out one day soon from so many requests BUT.....

What I have a real problem with is when some of those same people come back and tell John that they had to go to the Guest Services Desk or hunt down the Cruise Director and show them what he wrote and DEMAND they get the freebies.. These are selfish people who do not understand that they are not GUARANTEED anything... John is only TRYING to give/get people what they are asking for...

Or the ones who come back and complain to him, "John, we had a great time but didn't get the promised gifts"... why do that to him??? He feels bad when the CD doesn't come through for him, or the Maitre'd doesn't give them that perfect table for 2 in the middle of the room by the window!!! Why make him feel worse and have him apologize for TRYING to do something nice...

Thats where my problem lies....

If someone posts a comment on the blog (something of substance - not just a begging post) and happens to mention that they are sailing in the near future, and John decides to send them something because he wants to - that's one thing. But for people to post on there for the sole purpose of asking for something for free (and usually sounding like they fully expect to receive it) that is something altogether different.

I've never met John (but will in October :D) but it sounds like he is a kind and generous person who genuinely likes doing things for people - but hearing the nastiness and rudeness of some people who then are rewarded by receiving a special favor or gift, well that really rubs me the wrong way. It is like they are being rewarded for their bad behavior.

EXACTLY!!! The requests seem to have gotten out of hand :o...IMHO.

I don't know about you all but if someone was trying to push their religion on me during my cruise, you can bet I'd be at the purser's desk to report it. And I'm not a complainer, I go with the flow. But I get a bad taste in my mouth when people tell me I'm going to hell because I don't go to their church, because I drink, I gamble, smoke or do whatever.

I don't know about you all but if someone was trying to push their religion on me during my cruise, you can bet I'd be at the purser's desk to report it. And I'm not a complainer, I go with the flow. But I get a bad taste in my mouth when people tell me I'm going to hell because I don't go to their church, because I drink, I gamble, smoke or do whatever.

It shouldn't bother you if you don't believe it :D;)

I read that request and I do not see an effort to push the person's religion on others. I think she intends to offer a Bible study. Those who choose to participate will have to fetch the Gideon Bible from their stateroom which is not a big deal at all.

I am religious. I will be on the cruise with this person, I believe. I will not attend her classes. There is a time and a place for everything. IMHO, a cruise ship is a time to kick back, enjoy one's self and get a bit decadent. I really enjoy looking for nicely shaped women sunbathing, watching the dancers in their skimpy costumes and practicing gluttony. My preacher tells me I am not going to hell for this.

Doc

I took it she was when asking for this forum and got to believe she will push the class all over the ship. Could be wrong but thought it was a peculiar request for a cruise and was expecting John to turn her down.

How long does it take to get good at gluttony?icon7.gif Been trying and never did get a report card back from DW.

There is more whining and complaining here than over there. John is the face of Carnival on Facebook and the Blog. He enjoys the interaction. If Carnival didnt want him doing what he's doing they wouldnt allow it. Yes, some of the requests are out there. I can't tell you the number of requests I've read that start with.. "I heard on Cruise Critic I could come here and ask for..."

But with the 12,000 plus people that are his "friends" on facebook and read his Blog he must be doing something right.

And yeah..Why do you care? Obviously he doesn't.

HIS DOWNFALL?? That's the funniest statement yet~

Pressing the LIKE button

sheesh, would this be an issue if a group of 200 buddhists wanted to have 2 prayer times a day scheduled on a ship?

Again, this is no different than holding AA meetings on board and offering it to anyone on the ship. I'm sure that Carnival would make it clear that solicitation (prostelytizing) is not allowed. So let the church people have their bible studies and if other passengers are into that (I don't find it impossible that out of 3000 people, there aren't a few who would find that appealing, since they'd be missing church at home).

I find this caseto be "a lot" different than AA. For the AA groups, a time and place is set for the meetings. There is nothing prepared for or set up by CCL other than saying the Friends of Bill are meeting in the library or a lounge at a certain time.

The bible thumpers in this case want a special room reserved twice a day for up to 200 people, they want CCL to provide bibles (not exactly waiting in the storage room), and they want an audio system put in use (manpower). These people need to PAY for these arrangements. I don't care if they're trying to solicit people for Buddhism or any other religion.

So you have an issue with the ship setting aside a room (free of charge) for meetings for FOD, AA, and even CC events? Or are you just against religious meetings on board??

Actually, this is a LOT different than a group of 200 buddhists on a cruise. If it is is a GROUP then they can request a room for their GROUP.

Same as with the AA or FOD meetings, Carnival merely posts a time and location (usually the Library if I remember right) but does not provide anything or anyone for these meetings. There sure isn't a crew member handing out the 12 steps (4,5,6 hell I don't know how many there are) pamphlets or handing out Gay Pride tshirts and rainbow beach towels.....

As soon as someone says "now going to be on Carnival spreading the gospel and helping your passengers enjoy their vacations even more." they need to be written off as religious nuts.

1- you don't "spread the gospel" on a cruise ship. You post a little note in the Fun Times with "Bible Study" or something. What next, Mormons on bikes riding around on the Lido deck? Those little fire and brimstone pamphlets you see in a LOT of Southern Baptist churches?

2- I am pretty sure it is not any passenger's responsibility to "help your passengers enjoy their vacations even more". That right there is WAY over the line.

And no, I am not hating on any religion, FOB, FOD or anything - just merely stating my opinion. But I can't stand for wackos to think they can do anything whenever and wherever they want. You let some fruitcake come up to me on a cruise ship asking if I have seen Jesus lately..... think he was at the Lido buffet earlier......

Archived