Help! Need Info. on Snorkling in Nassau area

IM4MU

In August, my husband and I will be taking a cruise to Nassau. We've never been to the Bahamas before. My husband wants to do some snorkling, but I can't swim. Is there any location for pretty good snorkling from the beach? Are there tours that take you there or can you go on your own? What kind of facilities or other things to do at that location? Any good seashells? If a snorkle tour goes to the reef areas, how deep is that?

Thanks,

Janet

I don't know about in Nassau. But on the snorkeling tours I've been on in Jamaica and Grand Cayman, they have blow up life vests that you can wear around your neck. They were optional and not everyone used them. But I did as I wasn't comfortable even though I do know how to swim. It's a large body of water and I'd never snorkeled before.

We'll be going on a snorkeling tour to Athol Island on our day in Nassau on March 25th (12 days from now). It's at a reef in about 15-20 feet deep water. I can let you know if the life vests are available. From what I've read about Nassau snorkeling on these boards, you really need to go to a reef to get good snorkeling. So if you can do it and are comfortable with wearning a life vest, you should definitely do it. It's awesome.

I will be more than happy to. We are taking an excursion from the Carnival ship. I know there are independents in Nassau also. But their times didn't work for what our plan for the day was. One of them was Stuart's Cove. You can find them on the internet. And if their site doesn't mention lifes vests, you can probably contact them via email and ask them so you can find out sooner and not have to wait to plan your excursion. I would be really surprised if any of the tours did not have life vests. They would be giving up a lot of business from people who weren't comfortable going out in the deep water without one. I'll post more info of how it was on our tour when we return.

We've read a lot of great reviews about Stuart Cove's snorkeling, and because the times work with the times our ship will be in port, we're planning on doing it. It sounds wonderful, I'm especially interested in the ship wreck. Cool! Anyhow, we'll be there in May and can let you know what we think if you're interested. :)

Archived