Cancellation with insurance question

My sister is set to sail EOS this June from Bayonne.

She did take out insurance. Our brother was admitted into the hospital this past Friday.

His condition is very serious. We thought he was out of the woods and was going to be able to go home on medication but last night when they took him off the intervenus antibiotics his fever spiked. They were hoping to be able to control his infection orally but now they know they are going to have to keep him in the hospital and perform major surgery once the infection is completely out of his system.

This surgery will be taken place around the same time she is set to cruise.

She does not want to be away, at sea, with everything that is going on here with him.

My question is, being it’s not her personally and she is passed the 75 day mark, cruise paid in full, with the insurance, will she be able to get her money refunded? If not, is there something else that they do, like maybe a credit for future cruise, ect?

If anyone has ever had a similar situation or knows the steps she needs to take we would really appreciate some insight.

Thanks

I am in the exact same position and phoned Cruise Care this morning. As far as I am led to believe you should be covered. All she said to me was each case was considered on it's own merits but as it was a brother i.e. close family relative you can cancel and get a refund she also said there was no timescale in cancelling.

Please note this is in Britain and we took out our insurance through RCI. America could be different.

If you phone the company direct they should be able to answer your questions.

She did take out insurance. Our brother was admitted into the hospital this past Friday.

His condition is very serious. We thought he was out of the woods and was going to be able to go home on medication but last night when they took him off the intervenus antibiotics his fever spiked. They were hoping to be able to control his infection orally but now they know they are going to have to keep him in the hospital and perform major surgery once the infection is completely out of his system.

She does not want to be away, at sea, with everything that is going on here with him.

My question is, being it’s not her personally and she is passed the 75 day mark, cruise paid in full, with the insurance, will she be able to get her money refunded? If not, is there something else that they do, like maybe a credit for future cruise, ect?

If anyone has ever had a similar situation or knows the steps she needs to take we would really appreciate some insight.

Thanks

Insurance should cover cancellation for illness of immediate family. You most likely will have to have a claim form filled out and signed by the doctor stating the nature of the illness and a full refund should be given.

Thanks

Why not just call the insurance company and get the correct answer?

Why not just call the insurance company and get the correct answer?

She didn't pay for the cruise, it was a birthday gift from close friends so she doesn't want them to loose money and she was just curious before she calls to tell them she can't go.

Archived