On my own... never been without a cruise ship tour...

PhinsAndGills

HI! On the RCCL Mariner 11/20/05...

I've read SO MANY posts about people doing side trips on their own. I've been trying to do a little research but have some questions and thought I'd ask. I've never had an overly BAD experience (one was cancelled once which bummed me out, my entire party didn't get one together, but RCCL worked that out for us, too. And one lasted about 2 hours longer than stated, causing us to miss the rest of the in-port stay... but oh well, we're going back...)

In Grand Cayman, I'm debating taking the "reef and wreck" snorkle trip, being we're big snorklers. I was told, however, that Eden's Grotto was better and can easily be done on your own. This interests me because I don't like being told to get out of the water. I'll get out when I'm good and done! Where do we put our dry things? (snorkel equip. bags..) are there lockers? I'm also interested to hear there's a rum cake factory. Heard the turtle farm is a waste of time from a very trusted TA who enjoys the same things we do. We'll be here over Thanksgiving, but it's not in the U.S. so that shouldn't make any difference.

I am also concerned about the safety of our things. Is there anywhere with lockers or such for our gear bags?

This Rum Point sounds good, too. How do I get there CHEAP?

Eden Rock is walking distance from the tender pier. Look to your right as you tender in; you will see a dive shop (look for the dive flag). That's where you want to go. They rent equipment there, if you need it (we only rented fins) and, yes they do have lockers. There are also a couple of picnic tables there so you can get situated before/after snorkeling. There is a ladder down into the water and off you go. Grand Cayman is very safe and, it's an easy port to explore on your own. After snorkeling, you will have time to explore the shops right there at the port. I believe the rum cake factory is there, but I just bought mine on the ship.

Heard the turtle farm is a waste of time from a very trusted TA who enjoys the same things we do.
Not everyone shares this opinion, but I'll agree with the TA. After all, it is a farm were the turtles a raised primarily for their meat, conservation is secondary. Meat and other turtle product sales fund the operation. It isn't a zoo.

The easiest way to get around outside of walking in Georgetown is to take a taxi.

The 2 dive shops at Eden rock, the shore snorkel/dive site in Georgetown are:

http://abanksdivers.com.ky/

and

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

There is helpful information on both of their websites, even for snorkelers.

I've really heard both ways on the turtle farm. I guess we're more adventurers than sight-seers so it's just really not for us at all! I live on a farm (okay, not a TURTLE farm. A MIDWEST farm...) so I don't care to be around one for a vacation, you know!:D

I guess we're all just situational!

Archived