What to do in Belize with 2 small girls?

crackercruise

We wanted to have a relaxing Beach Day in Belize so we booked a tour (if thats what you want to call it) with Belizerays. They take you out to Coral Sands Resort and drop you off and you can hang out on the beach for a little while or you can stay on the boat and snorkel. I have heard that if you don't book a tour in Belize, it's better to stay on the boat because Belize is a 3rd world country and there is lots of crime.

I've got to disagree with the poster about Belize and staying on the boat. Belize is FABULOUS! SO SO SO much better than Mexico's ports. More friendly, less pushy, all that stuff. I want a vacation JUST to Belize now. It's that quintessential Carribbean feeling that you are probably envisioning. A coworker also spent his entire honeymoon in Belize and had nothing but good things to say.

And to be honest- anything SOUTH of the good ol' USA is pretty much third world. Even Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Panama etc have vast populations of people living in slums and squalor. It's OUR standard of living that is abnormal/unusual in the world, not the other way around. Don't let lesser living conditions dissuade you from experiencing a really lovely country.

I think the beach break thing sounds like a good idea though-

I've got to disagree with the poster about Belize and staying on the boat. Belize is FABULOUS!

I agree. Belize is my favorite port. I just cringe when I see people complain about how "nasty and dirty" it is. These are usually the same people that get off a ship and the first thing they look for is a McDonalds or some other familiar American institution. If you go to another country, see their culture, not just the "little America" section.

No offense to people who really dislike a place, I just think that baseing someone's opinion of an entire Country on 1 short visit is rediculous.

I'll stop otherwise this will turn into another of my long-winded "pro-belize" posts. :o

I'll respond to the original poster in a separate post :D

LES!

In Belize for the day with a 9 yr. old and a 16month old. The rest of the family is off doing other tours, but still want to have a good time. Any suggestions?

It really depends on what you and your kids' interests are. But one thing that I think all 3 of you would enjoy would be a trip to one of the Cayes. Particularly Caye Caulker. Not too crowded (but crowded enough to enjoy people watching) a little shopping, a few places to eat and if you all get tired of walking, you could rent a golf cart. There are beaches too (ON the Cayes, none on the mainland).

All you'd have to do is catch a water taxi (this will be the most time restraining part). Here's a link to the water taxi schedule and prices. This is specifically for Ambergris Caye, but it also gives schedules for Belize City to Caye Caulker (it takes too long to get to Ambergris Caye and the water taxi's don't go there very frequently) http://www.goambergriscaye.com/watertaxi.html

If you've never been, and you can't decide on anything to do, at least get off the ship and go to the Tourism Village. It's really touristy, but there are lots of things that are great about it! If you like spicy food, be sure and have some chips and salsa at The Wet Lizard (off the tender and to your left. you can't miss it). There's usually local music artists in the little square and sometimes some dancing. Lots of unique souveniers. Plus you'd be supporting a very deserving country :D

Feel free to email me private if you want any links or information (Belize is my favorite port, so I do quite a lot of research on it) Just use CruiseAddict@gmail.com

LES!

if still available go to Goff's Cays, its a beautiful small island in the middle of no where, just like Giligans Island... just bring lots of Sun block for both kids.. its a 20 min boat ride to the Island, takes ya around 3 to 5 minutes to circle it lol, very nice aqua blue waters and nice fine white sands.

Archived