ISO children's books about Baltic capitals

We will be going on the NCL Baltic Capitals cruise with our 8 year son and 11 year old daughter. In preparation for our trip, which also includes a week in Denmark and a few days in the Netherlands, I would like for them to read books about the various Baltic and Scandinavian cities/countries.

Our son is especially interested in history, and our daughter is an avid bookworm, so fictional or non-fiction accounts of life in those places would be welcome. Any ideas?

Prior to the Baltics cruise with our daughters (12 and 6 at the time) we read DK Eyewitness books on Russia and Vikings. We also read Pippi Longstocking as we were planning to go to Junibacken (the Astrid Lindgren museum) in Stockholm. My younger daughter was also reading Magic Tree House books at the time and there is one about vikings. I believe there is a series of books about princesses that includes a book about Princess Anastasia - perhaps your daughter would be interested in that.

Lisa

There's also a series of books called "Horrible Histories" that seems to appeal primarily to boys. One of the titles in the series is "Vicious Vikings" - your son might find that interesting.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if your itinerary includes Amsterdam, but we're taking our kids (ages 9, 8 and 6) to the Anne Frank House. My oldest is a book worm and may enjoy Anne's diary, although I've heard that many 4th and 5th graders around here found it "boring". At any rate, there's a series of biography books for young kids with the title "Who Was...." and I will be getting the "Who Is Anne Frank" for the younger two.

Thanks for the DK Eyewitness Books...I'm off to put them on my amazon wishlist. :)

Lucy

One book suggestion for girls: Elin's Amerika by Margeurite de Angeli. Although the story is laid in early America, it is about a Swedish family, how they bring their customs to a new land. It discusses food, shows clothing, how Christmas was celebrated, etc. in a good story line. Ms. d A. is known for her children's books. Have fun!:D

Archived