Grand Cayman with 6 year old

goshockers

I need suggestions for what we should do during our stop in Grand Cayman with a six-year old. I have looked at several websites and many offer excursions only in the morning. We are on the Grand Princess and will be there from noon-6:30. Our son could tolerate snorkeling with the stingrays in shallow water, but would not be comfortable snorkeling in deeper water.

We are leaving on Friday, so your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

look into the stingray sandbar tours. Water will only be thight high to an adult. (depending on the tides) and i know that some tours do morning and afternoon tours.

how about a submarine tour??

Not sure how tall your son is but the stingrays they take you to are located on a sand bar so the water is about waist deep on a normal sized person. As long as there was an adult with him at all times, there shouldn't be a problem with him on this excursion. And I am sure he would love it.

Thanks for your suggestions. We plan to go to Stingray City (as we have shown him pictures of when we were there several years ago), but it seems several of the tours include an additional snorkeling stop in deeper water. I have been told that the Turtle Farm could be interesting, but we may have to do that as a separate tour. We've been on four previous cruises, but this will be the first with our son. It should be an interesting adventure!!

We visited there some years ago and I think you are right, it does have a lot to interest a young man. Of coarse he would also be thrilled to walk across the street and tell all his friends he also visited 'Hell' while he was there. LOL

Toto2Kansas:

So Hell must be near the Turtle Farm? I read that one can take a taxi or public transportion there, but I'm not certain how much time we will have before or after Stingray City. When we visited there in the early 90's, it seemd we had several hours to shop after Stingray City. I want to get something booked before we leave, if possible, so we don't waste time comparing excursions at the pier. I don't believe we will be doing a lot of shopping on this trip, as neither my son nor husband enjoy shopping...

It's where I did my first open water dive and I cannot wait till October when my 6 year old, 8 year old and husband get to see this marvelous place!!!! We are not taking the cruise lines excursion but a smaller one so we get fewer people and more time with the rays. We know that we may not be able to dock in the Caymans (happens) but we are hoping.

I have a 6 year old and we did not take her to Stingray City. IMO a typical 6 yeard old is going to struggle in the water. It is waist deep for an adult and there are some small waves pushing you around. You don't really even snorkel at the sand bar, most of the time you are standing in the water as they swim around you.

It may work out fine bit I personally wouldn't suggest it.

The Turtle Farm, beach and walking around the shops in town are all things I would suggest for that age.

Scott

Just go to the beach and bring your own snorkeling mask and breathing thing and a life jacket, the water is really calm and he can snorkel on his own in shallow water. Our kids loved that on our last cruise - we just returned from the Grand but our port stop in Cayman was cancelled because the winds were too high and the waves too high to tender in so that was disappointing. Have a great time!

My 6 year old tolerates snorkeling for short periods of time, but quickly tires. He is fairly patient about waiting on the boat when he's had enough, and my wife and I take turns waiting with him until the 2 older kids are finished snorkeling. Beach based snorkeling is much easier with a young child. We did the semi-submarine ride in Curacao, and this was a BIG hit with our little one -- he finally had the chance to really see all the fish he could only just get glimpses of before!

We used Nativeway for our stingray tour with our kids and they were great! :) Our girls are only 5 and 7, but the stingray tour was no problem for them. They provide life jackets and even put them on the kids beneath their armpits so it doesn't ride up around their necks. The water was waist deep on us and we just held our kids which are super light when in the water. The girls had such a good time that they begged us to take one of the "baby" stingrays home with us to live in the bathtub.:eek: Don't let your child miss out on this once in a life time chance to swim with the rays. Our little ones went and had a blast!;)

We did the semi-sub with our 5 year old twice and it was great. It is alot like a glass bottom boat. Saw tons of fish and a cool wreak. The crew was excellent and explained everything. It was like snorkeling without getting wet. Not to expensive if I remember correctly. Have fun!

Eric

Archived