Stroller Help

MelMazz

Hi everyone!

We leave on our first cruise with DS Sunday and my DH and I are in the middle of a heated debate over which stroller to bring. I'd thought until now (seeing how much STUFF we have) we'd just bring both our BOB and our umbrella stroller (Chicco Liteway). Looking at the pile though, I'm beginning to worry.

We are going to Bermuda and the plan is to do a beach trip by taxi and a shopping trip hopefully by ferry. DH's worry is that if we only bring the umbrella it'll ride horribly on the sidewalks or lack thereof.

Anyone have experience in Bermuda and know if I'll really need dear old BOB? Or should I just bring BOB, (from reading other posts my guess is BOB won't cut it onboard).

:confused:

Thanks!

I can't imagine bringing my BOB and storing it in a cruise ship cabin! Even with the wheels off and folded down it's still big, and really, are you going to want to take the wheels off every time you bring it in the cabin? While I understand how much better it will work on the beach and bumpy roads, it may make your life hell during the rest of your trip.

How old is your DS? Do you baby-wear at all? We've travelled with DS2 at age 2 and 3, and honestly we used the Ergo carrier much more than the umbrella stroller. At 3 yrs, we left the umbrella stroller in the trunk of the car at the airport and didn't look back ;)

Hi everyone!

We leave on our first cruise with DS Sunday and my DH and I are in the middle of a heated debate over which stroller to bring. I'd thought until now (seeing how much STUFF we have) we'd just bring both our BOB and our umbrella stroller (Chicco Liteway). Looking at the pile though, I'm beginning to worry.

We are going to Bermuda and the plan is to do a beach trip by taxi and a shopping trip hopefully by ferry. DH's worry is that if we only bring the umbrella it'll ride horribly on the sidewalks or lack thereof.

Anyone have experience in Bermuda and know if I'll really need dear old BOB? Or should I just bring BOB, (from reading other posts my guess is BOB won't cut it onboard).

:confused:

Thanks!

Oops! He's 11 months, and not walking whole-heartedly yet. ...AND 26 scrumptious lbs! :)

See, that's my worry- where will we put it along with EVERYTHING else? :(

We'll see who "wins" here. We looked at getting a Ergo-type thing, but we had a Bjorn when he was little-er and never used it. I'm thinking the umbrella may just have to do on this one. :)

Thank you!

I traveled with an umbrella stroller and used it until the rubber on the wheels broke off. They are the best!

Before we even left the cabin in the AM- I'd open it and have my son climb in his "chariot". They work great on ships- easy to manuever, make great places to nap, etc. etc. I disagree with them being less shock absorbing. I always preferred them to the larger stroller.

IMNSHO there's nothing like a real Ergo! DS2 is 36 lbs and I can still wear him comfortably for at least an hour at a time. At 26lbs I could do a whole afternoon as long as the lumbar strap was positioned properly :) If you're going to wear an older baby for any length of time, you need a good carrier.

I also realize I'm one of the few pro-baby wearing anti-stroller posters on this board ;)

Oops! He's 11 months, and not walking whole-heartedly yet. ...AND 26 scrumptious lbs! :)

See, that's my worry- where will we put it along with EVERYTHING else? :(

We'll see who "wins" here. We looked at getting a Ergo-type thing, but we had a Bjorn when he was little-er and never used it. I'm thinking the umbrella may just have to do on this one. :)

Thank you!

IMNSHO there's nothing like a real Ergo! DS2 is 36 lbs and I can still wear him comfortably for at least an hour at a time. At 26lbs I could do a whole afternoon as long as the lumbar strap was positioned properly :) If you're going to wear an older baby for any length of time' date=' you need a [u']good[/u] carrier.

I also realize I'm one of the few pro-baby wearing anti-stroller posters on this board ;)

I'm not anti-stroller; our Baby Jogger City Mini is coming on our cruise next month. However, we're big babywearers and our Boba and Babyhawk will be coming along. I'm not going to schlep a 10 month old around the ship in a stroller when she's used primarily being worn - as a bonus, no waiting for elevators! :D The stroller is coming mainly for use in the two ports.

Baby Bjorns kind of suck in general, and especially for any baby over about 15 lbs. A good soft structured carrier (Ergo, Beco, Boba, etc.) is like night and day compared to the Bjorn-type carrier. I love my mei tai but tying it can take some time and I prefer a SSC for back carries.

The BOB would be ridiculously bulky on a cruise ship. I'd bring the Chicco umbrella stroller over the BOB for sure!

We love our Ergo, but for people who don't naturally babywear it's not going to make them magically do it. If you normally do the stroller at home, bring the stroller (the umbrella, not the big one). We actually brought both and mainly used the Ergo onboard. It was nice to have the umbrella to hold the diaper bag in port and she sat in it some. She loved when we jogged with her in it (impossible in the Ergo). I wouldn't run out and buy an Ergo just for the cruise (although if you found one on babysteals.com it would totally be worth it).

It's a friendly stroller town but there is hills. Sometimes we have so much stuff that it is easier to carry the child and fill the stroller. The transportation is stroller friendly. Before going we bought a good basic umbrella stroller. THe other ones will not fit in the dining room on the ship.

OFF TOPIC.

I will need a stroller for port only for 2 kidos. NOW what? I was thinking S&S? any thoughts for two?

A sit n' stand is a good choice. If it's for port only, I loved my Maclaren side-by-side - it was great for my 4/5 year olds and was light enough when I needed to carry it (to/from subways entrances, up steps to sights, etc) - something I couldn't have done with the Sit n' Stand.

Best,

Mia

OFF TOPIC.

I will need a stroller for port only for 2 kidos. NOW what? I was thinking S&S? any thoughts for two?

What's your budget? Side by side, tandem, or jumpseat?

For port only I'd go for a side by side so that both kiddos can see well; with a tandem I always feel like whoever is in the back gets less of a view. However if you'd use it on the ship a side by side might be too wide.

If one of your kids is older and just needs a little ride now and then, then a S&S or a Joovy Caboose or similar would be nice. I know Baby Jogger makes a glider board for the City series now.

How horrible of me to say/think this... but I feel like the side by sides are so inappropriate in crowded areas, and I don't think I'd like pushing one. Actually DH would do the pushing, maybe I should have him go to the store and just pick one! ROTF!

But really we have a SBS jogger that I know I don't want to take- its the older model that the front wheel doesn't turn- MIL has the sit n stand if we went that route. And those poor kids in the jumpseat- wouldn't they get a whole different vacation down-there? HAHA!

In all seriousness I was thinking the Sit n Stand b/c we would borrow MILs. OR I could just do the umbrella for the 3 year old and wear the 2 year old. I guess I better practice that, b/c that's new. SO many options. IDK if I even want to wear a 2 year old. :)

Katie- as much as I don't like the SBS I will probably use one of those.

When we cruised with my DD we had a city mini and it was great! It folds up flat and is very light and easy to move around. When my DD didn't want to stay in it while in port we put all our bags in and it instead of carrying them. We recently got back from a trip from San Diego and now we have a DD and DS. We bought a BOB Duallie and boy is that thing big! It really is a pain to carry, pack, and fly with, but once it is open and the kids are settled it is the best thing ever. I do not think a double would work on a ship. It is just to big.

I think bottom line is take whatever your child is most comfortable with.

Archived