Coral Gardens snorkeling question

seabrz92056

I'm going with a group of 9 people and most are first time snorkelers and some are children. We wanted to do the Stingray City/Coral Gardens snorkeling combo trip but some are concerned about the depth of the water at Coral Gardens. Has anyone been there and can give me an idea if this is a 'deep water' snorkeling or more shallow?

Thanks in advance!!

We did the Coral Gardens with Captain Marvin and I believe they said it was about 12 feet..where they took us anyways. There were about 4 or 5 children with us and they had lifejackets..some of the adults had lifejackets on as well.

We just returned from there and the kids that were on our excursion wore life vests and were fine. We were told the water was 10-15 feet deep. Having snorkled in more shallow waters I would worry more about a shallow area where kids or first time snorklers might scrape up against the coral. It is painful just getting a small scrape which is easy to do if you are in very shallow water. As far as the sting ray city, the water is not very deep once you get onto the bar but it was over my head (5'4") as we got off the boat. This was my 3rd time to swim with the rays and this was a great location and the rays were very gentle, the sand very soft and the water was warm. Have a great time.

Traci

We did the Nativeway tour a year ago... the Stingrays were wonderful... when we got to Coral Gardens the current was really strong... they dropped the life ring and it went straight out.... and swimming back to the boat was difficult. One person in our group drifted way off and it took a very long time to get back and a little scary too.... so enjoy the stingrays but be aware of the current...

Granduer 1999

Victory 2001

Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

We just went 2 weeks ago.... I stayed on the boat with my 6 year old... he did great with the sting ray.. but didnt want to snorkel.

We brought some snacks for him on the boat... turned out to be the greatest thing. We threw the bread to feed the fish... we saw all the fish we needed to see from right there on the boat!!!!!!! Some of the fish were almost jumping out of the water to catch the bread pieces. Our tour guides were pointing out all the different varieties of fish that gathered.

Archived