Cinco de Mayo?

Traveling Mom

Does anyone know if the do anything in Cozumel for Cinco de Mayo. We will be there on the 5th of May aboard the Navigator of the Seas. We will be bringing 3 children(9,6,and 2). My 9 year old is really interested in the Mexico holiday as they are studying it in school. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks:) Mary

From what I gather from friends who live in Mexico, Cinco de Mayo tends to be more of a Mexican holiday in America than it is a big deal in Mexico itself. Contrary to popular belief by many people, it is NOT the Mexican Independence Day. It's the commemoration of the defeat of Napolean's army at Puebla in 1862. I guess it is celebrated but probably not even to the extent that it's celebrated in Denver or LA or Houston.

The big celebration comes in September (the 16th) for the Mexican Independence Day. I know for that in Cozumel there's a big party at the municipal palace that includes fireworks, rides, food from the region, and the midnight shout, "VIVA MEXICO!"

Archived