How uncomfortable is it to use an ergo in the caribbean heat?

jlrn366419

In March I wore my 3yo in a back carry in an ergo-type carrier and while it was warm, it was doable and given another chance, I'd do it again. But I hate strollers. After I got back I got smart and purchased a carrier with solarveil for the summer months.

It will probably be hot, and humid. Some islands have good trade-winds. My DH would prefer this, since he hates strollers, but I would opt for the stroller.

Definitely be careful about a sunburn for the adult planning on carrying the baby!

I wore DS2 who is 3yrs and over 30 lbs in the Ergo throughout our whole trip in January. He was worn in the airports, on the airplanes, getting on the ship, through disembarkation at every port, in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maartin. No problem at all. Yes it was hot, but really not much hotter than if he's sitting in my lap and much more comfortable than carrying him on my hip. IMNSHO the carriers are much more practical than an umbrella stroller, especially in port and especially with a child who will want to walk at least some of the time.

Wear a thin cotton t-shirt under the Ergo and you'll be fine, just let your toddler out to walk a bit so you can cool off every once and awhile ;)

BTW, I plan on wearing him again in Jan/12 when he's 4, because otherwise travelling through airports with this child is a challenge!

A toddler? Holy chiropractor! If you are sunburned all the worse.

Just bring the umbrella stroller. It works great and serves the same purpose. By the time you get to the beach, you can put the stroller in the shade and your child can nap in it.

Is it the standard Ergo or the Performance model? We have an Ergo Performance and it's quite breathable and comfortable for both baby and babywearer in warm/humid weather. That said, I find it uncomfortable to use the Performance for a back carry - I think the strap contours just don't fit me well for a back carry.

I assume a toddler will be in and out of the Ergo, unlike a smaller infant who might spend several hours being worn (and can get overheated more easily). I wouldn't worry too much, but both you and the kiddo should wear cotton or other breathable fabric and make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

I took mine last June when we cruised in the Carribean and will take it again next month when we go back. It was awesome in Conzumel to be able to shop and not to have to constantly watch a little one in a stroller or chase her around. I alternated between wearing DD in the back position and in the hip position.

Archived