Passport Card

buglver066

A BC is pretty easy to replace: we'd just go into the safe and grab another copy. ;) When we got the first ones for the babies, and my replacement, we just got mulitples. They are all equivalent and are all perfectly official. I seem to recall that additional duplicates only cost $7 each, so we have several of each. Marriage license too.

In terms of getting the PP card for ID, I wish I had gotten them for the extra $10 when we got the books for the babies. The reason is for age ID when flying, and we've also been challenged at restaurants for some reason. We just carry photocopies of the BCs for that purpose. I wouldn't use them for cruising.

For crusing though, we use the passports but also bring BCs for all of us, stored separately. It's cheap insurance that would cover many eventualities. (We also register the travel with STEP, so worst case we are supposed to be able to get replacements more quickly.)

However, before I'd spend $40 for just the card to use as ID I'd go for an official state ID. Here it's $10 for 4 years of $18 for 8 years. The MVD here is the one that gives all the others a bad name, otherwise I'd already have those rather than carry BC photocopies.

Also, despite what some would lead you to believe, if you miss your ship and are left behind in a foreign port, you will not be stuck there indefinitely, living in a hut, and forced to take on a permanent job offering parasailing tours. You will still be able to get home. It will just be a bit more complex (and stressful) of a process. The USA will work to get you back home, paying property-, sales-, and income taxes as quickly as possible.

Personally, I was hoping that I might get stuck on an island.

Some people seem to have an animosity against the passport cards... as if it were a government conspiracy to rip us off or something. If you don't want one, don't get one.

I have both, and use both because of convenience and security. And they are staggered expirations, so I always have one or the other. I always use it with TSA maybe it helps... who knows? Having it in my wallet provides the best second ID available at less than $5 a month... and most of us spend that much or more on something frivilous every month.

Some people spend $500 on a piece of luggage, others $100... it's a matter of personal choice and doesn't need judging.

The cards are every bit as official as the books, and some predict the books will eventually be a thing of the past. State and federal governments around the world are going "smart cards" "enhanced DL's" and passport cards. Not hard to see where it things are headed. I know my State Department issued passport card is more recognized than a state issued driver's license in a foreign country.

For now, if all you need is the card, save some money; if you are more comfortable with the book that's good too. And if you want both, ignore the naysayers and be comfortable with your choice.

But... have one or the other (or both) and enjoy your next cruise! :)

A passport, either one, is used to get into the country, not leave a country. I use the passport card, because it is easy, fits in my wallet, and is accepted to enter all Carribean nations, plus Mexico, and Canada. I can go swimming with it, walk in the rain with it, and never have to figure out where to put it. Ironically, most people who bring the "book" on the ship, will not carry it with them, when they get off but leave it in a safe, where it is worthless. So what good is it? Let's see them go swimming with it. A passport is only good if it is used.

Archived